Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

new Va exhaust laws?

Old 10-23-2009 | 12:24 AM
No

Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64 Bizkit64
Default Re: new Va exhaust laws?

Originally Posted by twintegra518
so loud ass choppers and harley's are included in with the exhaust law? if not they should
Harleys come from the factory loud as hell haha, since they are stock it is legal. I use to ask myself that when I was younger, and I asked my school resource officer while I was still in school. I asked, "Why dont cops pull over loud Harleys for (I think I said noise pollution?); but instead they pull over cars with exhausts"

He said: "Those cars with exhausts are just asking for it with there bright paint jobs, big wheels, clear taillights,...(and every other ricer thing)"

/facepalm
Old 10-23-2009 | 05:34 AM
Registered Member

Mindless is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cnamz
That's probably because 99% of the imports with "exhaust" are 4 cylinders that, by their very nature, sound totally obnoxious.

How is it bullshit that it's up to the officer's judgement? They're only pulling you for your exhaust system because they feel the noise coming out of your car's ass end is a nuisance to the public. I seriously doubt it's because they hate imports and love domestics and trucks.
Just because a 4 cylinder has an exhaust doesn't mean it's obnoxiously loud. I have more than one friend who's aftermarket exhaust is barely louder than a stock exhaust and they have been pulled over multiple times. Yet there are plenty of anything but a four cylinder with aftermarket exhausts that never get ticketed for illegal exhaust.

The bottom line is that the cops have realized that imports are a cash cow when it comes to tickets (especially exhaust tickets and especially around here). And the fact that an illegal exhaust is "subjective" and up to the "officers judgement" completely negates any fairness in the law being applied equally.
Old 10-23-2009 | 05:39 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

plain and simple, if you got aftermarket exhaust dont bitch when you get ticketed.
Old 10-23-2009 | 05:44 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Loud exhaust is symbolic speech deserving of First Amendment protection, there, I said it.
Old 10-23-2009 | 08:08 AM
Registered member

Scot has disabled reputation

Is not having a front plate a primary or secondary offense?
Old 10-23-2009 | 08:10 AM
Vatican Assassin

MissmyE30 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Scot
Is not having a front plate a primary or secondary offense?
primary.
Old 10-23-2009 | 08:29 AM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

While were discussing dum shit.

I'll be on driving probation for 6 months.

If I get an exhaust ticket/suspension/tint, does that count as violating my probation?
Old 10-23-2009 | 09:07 AM
for alarms/rmt-strts

EH3_SOHC has disabled reputation

my probation just started like last week and it said any point violation. so im assuming no sunk. my license is still suspended tho
Old 10-23-2009 | 09:12 AM
CAPS LOCK BABY

CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK

Originally Posted by SortaSUNK
While were discussing dum shit.

I'll be on driving probation for 6 months.

If I get an exhaust ticket/suspension/tint, does that count as violating my probation?
no.... mostly moving violations.
Old 10-23-2009 | 09:26 AM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL

I'm just glad my new 4 banger sounds so sweet withmy exaust. It also looks like a Noir I have asked cops when I would get tickets inmy old car, and they would always say, "we cant get them all"

I do think that db should be implimented in this state, not, if it's not stock it's illegal, becasue it is abused by cops to an extent.

I went to court before the law was re-worded, and got out of 6 exaust tickets, becasue my greddy evo was db legal, cali legal, not for offroad use only, and supposably 50 state legal when I got it. I would always show proof of this to the judge, and ask what as a consumer am i supposed to do? They would throw it out.....then they changed it to, not stock/not legal, and that fucked me

Quick Reply: new Va exhaust laws?