Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

paint decision e36 m3/pre-stage build thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:08 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: paint decision e36 m3/pre-stage build thread

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
you think your dissapointed with the paint now ? just wait till you get it back from maaco, your gonna be freaking pissed. you just pissed away 1500 bucks cause the paint will be so far from perfect, and like you said, start falling off within a few months. Gonna look like a nice fresh florida citrus fruit. They dont take anything off, thats why all their paint jobs start to flake around the edges and peel, you cant prep properly and its a vicious circle with their paint work, start to peel from the outside edges inward. and not to mention the paint they use is such garbage, im quite certain someone makes it in their bathtub.

anyhow, good luck. I sincerely hope your not dissapointed, bu almost guarantee you will be.

and on top of all this its going to cost you twice what it would have in order to have it done correctly should you choose to...

seriously..if they havent started working on it yet your best bet is to go pick the car up and take it some where to have it done correctly...

either with me or som...thats your best bet...
Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

and as stated before...they dont remove anything...so you will have paint on your door panels/door rubbers/lights/carpet/kick panels/sil panels/trunk carpeting/hood insulation/etc...

everywhere that should not have paint on it will have...
Old 01-31-2010, 09:14 AM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

since we're arguing colors, shoulda gone with carbon black son. mmmmmm
Old 01-31-2010, 09:15 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

yep, everytime we get a car thats been painted at maaco, we have to strip the car completely down cause as soon as you start sanding, everything just falls off. You cant feather anything out cause nothing underneath was prepped enough and even the pre cleaner starts to react with the paint, its stupid an we charge a grand to strip the car, etch prime it, urethane it and then start the body process.Duane we have this integra in the shop right now that was painted at maaco, holy crap, they tried to fix the quarter panel on it. It literally, and Im not exagerating here, had 6 inches of bondo on it. 6 FREAKING INCHES, I mean they didnt even try to pull the panel out at all, just slapped some mud on there and kept going with it, it was ridiculous. We ended up just cutting the entire panel off and putting a new one on. and of course you know how there paint jobs look, just absolutely terrilble, 36 grit scratches everywhere, fisheye and dirt all over the place, so tetury a roll on paint job would look better. I guess some people just dont care as long as it costs 4 dollars to paint a car, ha.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:28 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

i know ricky...i have seen it also...shits retarded....

but most "people"just want it to shine...

i gave an estimate on a civic coupe the other day that was backed into on the quarter...

it could have been pulled and fixed with minimal mud work...

he didint like my price so him and his boy with an ARC WELDER cut the section of the guarter(at the door gap,below the window,halfway of the wheel well and stick welded the other cut off quarter on...lmao..

so he comes back and i told him more money to fix it now than before...i told him you and your boy messed it up more than it was...
Old 01-31-2010, 09:35 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

hahahha, thats awesome. now you have to probably cut in the door jamb, remove the window and fix his work. Thats awesome they tried to weld that thin ass sheet metal with an arc welder, hahaha its probably warped all over the place now. I always try to warn people that the cost is gonna be more when someones elses crappy work has to be fixed before we can even begin doing it right, but I dont mind charging them for it if they dont want to listen.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

it needs a whole skin now...no fixing this crap...

il try to get a pic of it if i see it again...
Old 01-31-2010, 09:42 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

unfortunately i can't take either of your opinions at face value because you are obviously biased. i understand you have personal experience with maaco and some shit products some of their chains have put out, but i've already established that if i spend 1500 and am disappointed, i can live with that. if i spent 2500+ and i was disappointed, well... another matter entirely.

and if it makes you feel any better, i would have been in touch with either or both of you, if i was still in virginia beach. i'm not, and couldn't get any solid recommendations of where to take my car around here in md, so maaco it is.

and trust me, it would really have to be a mess for me to be truly disappointed. my car looked like shit.

i've made my decision, and i'm sticking to it. like i said, i'll post pics when done... apparently maaco is working to reestablish their image and reputation, maybe they can start with my car.

i also intentionally ordered new headlights and exhaust AFTER the paint work was to be done, so i won't be fuming if some overspray gets on there. i have their 'word' that they will not paint over my rubber/plastic trim. their reputation is really on the line, as i paid for prep, and extra clear, so if it does come out looking like shit, i'll be sure to do my part to ensure anyone i come in contact with has had a proper lecture in why they should avoid maaco at all costs. but we'll see.

now. we could go back to discussing color, or the obligatory maaco bashing, i was prepared for both when i started this thread.

i'm still thinking interlagos...
Old 01-31-2010, 09:45 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

i think interlagos blue would be fine...either that or the daytona blue off the 350z
Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 AM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

i definitely prefer interlagos to the blue in your original post.

Quick Reply: paint decision e36 m3/pre-stage build thread