Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

paint decision e36 m3/pre-stage build thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:33 AM
master debater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout
Default Re: paint decision e36 m3/pre-stage build thread

Originally Posted by Coldaccord
I don't think anyone is up in arms, I'm sure noone really gives a shit. I'm sure everyone is just commenting. I doubt anyone is jumping up in their computer chair with steam coming out of their ears

all everyone is saying is you did a shitty thing to a car that deserves better. it's an ///m car man, not a civic. I just went to check out an e30 m3 in yorktown monday. it had a maaco job, and now the clear is basically gone and the thing looks like dog shit. all i could think was "why the hell would someone do this to an m car?"

you bought shitty paint. there's a reason it costs 4k. want to cheap out? learn how to prep a car (you're on the internet man. there are a thousand diy's, videos on youtube, etc). and pay someone to just spray it. would have cost you sub 1k and looked way better.

bottom line, you get what you pay for. you paid 1400 for something that goes for 4k. granted "you didnt want to spend 4k" but you also didnt want to do any work. this will look like shit soon.
it's an m car... with 148k on it... that i owe nearly 8k on... and is worth about 4k. the math just doesn't add up. as far as doing work to it, there's a practicality issue with that, as i work full time, take classes, and have a family. time is a commodity- perfect paint is not.

i'll tell you what, i'll post pics in 2 years if i still have the car, and you can say 'i told you so'. feel better?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:58 AM
FckYoCouch

rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin

Looks good from what I can tell in those pics... Never seen any of Maaco's higher end stuff, so who knows what it will look like in a few years... how about some "real" camera pics so we can get a better idea?

But looks good from what you posted, IMO....
Old 02-18-2010, 09:19 AM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

Originally Posted by blackout
maybe after i get better pics some people won't jump on the 'maaco sucks' bandwagon. i'm beginning to think i should conduct an experiment, and post up in eye candy with some better pics, NOT tell people it was painted at maaco, and see what comments i get. i would just have to make sure no one posting in this thread was allowed to spill the beans.

someone could write a psychology thesis about an empirical study like this...
That's just the issue with Maaco (and any cheap paint jobs in general), they look alright in pictures. If you keep to distant perpendicular shots its even less important, a close up angle shot will show things like orange peeling, etc.

Its the details that add up to all the extra work done in a "real" paint job. Stuff like extensive prep work, removing lighting, molding, trim, etc. A lot of that stuff has little effect on the paint job itself, but if you ever have to work on the car later it will show up big time.

Not to mention how deceiving pictures can be.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Patron

Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
hahahha, thats awesome. now you have to probably cut in the door jamb, remove the window and fix his work. Thats awesome they tried to weld that thin ass sheet metal with an arc welder, hahaha its probably warped all over the place now. I always try to warn people that the cost is gonna be more when someones elses crappy work has to be fixed before we can even begin doing it right, but I dont mind charging them for it if they dont want to listen.
thats why your doing my paint job
Old 02-20-2010, 07:39 AM

morbid morbid morbid morbid morbid morbid morbid morbid morbid morbid morbid

this thread is full of so much failure
Old 02-20-2010, 09:05 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

You've started a trend of such wonderfully insightful posts, I'm so sorry to disappoint you.

Let me guess, I suck because I ruined such a prestigious 12 year old car with a maaco paint job?

The irony is staggering.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

Has Maaco told you if they're going to fix their goof up of painting over your moldings? Kinda lame that they went and did that when you specifically asked them not to.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

Marineifra has disabled reputation

hey get up w/ me while you are down here next weekend. i'd like to see it in person
Old 02-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

markell27 has disabled reputation

The funny thing is that I've talked to 3 or 4 paint shops with good reputations about painting my S14 (track car) and all recommended certain Maaco's to do the work because they are affordable and the certain Maaco's actually do decent prep work. If paint shops that have been in business for 20+ years recommend Maaco for certain applications then affordable paint jobs might just have their place in auto body...
Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 AM
master debater

Originally Posted by Topik
Has Maaco told you if they're going to fix their goof up of painting over your moldings? Kinda lame that they went and did that when you specifically asked them not to.
i got busy/lazy and never called them. it looks fine so it's not a crisis, so i'll have to be extra focused to call and see what i can get done about it... i'll update since it seems like i've grown a minute following on people who are interested in maaco

Originally Posted by Marineifra
hey get up w/ me while you are down here next weekend. i'd like to see it in person
i would, but i don't really think i'm going to be driving it down there, as i'm going down to visit family and bringing my clan with me. i'll very likely be driving my wife's x3, you could see that if you want lol...

if i do randomly decide to drive it i'll definitely hit you up. i was planning on a trip down there just by myself to get away from all this snow up here, and then i would be driving it down. probably spring/summertime though... maybe i'll coordinate it with a meet or something.

Originally Posted by markell27
The funny thing is that I've talked to 3 or 4 paint shops with good reputations about painting my S14 (track car) and all recommended certain Maaco's to do the work because they are affordable and the certain Maaco's actually do decent prep work. If paint shops that have been in business for 20+ years recommend Maaco for certain applications then affordable paint jobs might just have their place in auto body...

exact same thing happened to me. they specifically mentioned, for an older car that isn't imperative to have a spectacular paint job, maaco actually does ok work. and that's exactly what happened, save the moldings, which are growing on me.

Quick Reply: paint decision e36 m3/pre-stage build thread