Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

powerstroke diesel question: 7.3L or 6.0L

Old 10-26-2010, 05:09 AM
The Pro to call.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: powerstroke diesel question: 7.3L or 6.0L

Originally Posted by IMSHAKN
I did a lot of research on the 6.0 before I bought mine. Just make sure that you know what you are getting into before you buy and get an Oasis on it. There are some really good deals out there but you have to do your research to make sure you know what you are getting.

The problem years for the 6.0 were 2003 - early 2005. Most of the early horror stories were due to techs throwing parts at the symptoms. Everything looked like blown head gaskets when that wasn't actually the root of the problem. The biggest problem in the 6.0 is casting sand left in the block. Since the oil cooler and EGR cooler are inline, it clogs up the coolant passages in the oil cooler then starves the EGR cooler of coolant. This is ~$5,000 repair at the dealer, ~$2,000 in parts IIRC. I haven't heard of anyone having this problem after installing a coolant filter and changing the filters regularly.

If you plan to put a tuner on a 6.0, plan on putting in ARP headstuds...the kit is ~$500 but installation is a PITA. The book calls for cab removal, but there are how-tos on doing them without it.

The only downside to the 7.3 that I know of is the transmission. I had 3 of them (95, 99, and 01) and replaced transmissions like clockwork...but I towed with them and expected it. The transmission behind the 6.0 is better suited for towing and is much more reliable.

Personally, I would go for the lower mileage truck. 200,000 miles is a lot for an 05, and being a company truck and knowing how they are treated I wouldn't want it.

Originally Posted by nftuatn
im going to buy a truck tomorrow that has a locked up 6.0 and im putting a 7.3 in it...or a cummins...
Good luck with that. I agree a Ford truck with a Cummins having an Allison behind it is the absolute best MD truck out there, but do know you are violating federal emissions laws doing that. Following two cases right now as a consultant regarding trucks bought with emissions modifications, and are in pretty interesting litigation for the shops involved.

Originally Posted by ferio
working at a ford dealership for 10+ years people swear by the 7.3 being the one to have, the 6.0's you either had a good one or you got a bad one the tranny's on the 7.3 had some problems but they've offered a HD tranny for a replacement for awhile and if the tranny has ever been replaced its probably had a HD replacement which i havent heard any bad things about them.
The funny thing is the "HD replacement" that Ford offers in its factory repaint line is nothing more than 2 holes being drilled out in the pump housing to increase the line pressure, and one solenoid change. They do not upgrade the clutch pack springs, nor do they install the updated accumulator servo piston that holds the band in a better angle.

The 4R100 is a stout trans, if built right, and if treated correctly. The #1 killer of that trans was lack of cooling, followed closely by a converter that had a lockup speed about 200rpm too low, causing slippage. Bigass coolers and the right converter makes a huge fucking difference on them, its like night and day.

Originally Posted by nftuatn
7.3 all the way..

and www.dieselbombers.com

7.3's are the most solid, especially if you go for an 01-03 truck, but the 6.0 is still a strong engine, IF it is the right build. I have dozens of customers with sickohs that are 200-300k on the original engine, most are on original injectors. It all depends on the build version of the engine, there are 3 MAJOR design changes that make a HUGE difference on reliablity.

bombers is a decent site, but like anything on the internet there are quite a few morons in there.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:12 AM
ladies love my foam.

iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam

Originally Posted by TNGChris
I think a couple important questions nobody's asked:
1-what are you planning on pulling with it?
2-Are you dead set on a Ford?
in my price range it seems thats what seems like is available to me.

Originally Posted by IMSHAKN
I did a lot of research on the 6.0 before I bought mine. Just make sure that you know what you are getting into before you buy and get an Oasis on it. There are some really good deals out there but you have to do your research to make sure you know what you are getting.

The problem years for the 6.0 were 2003 - early 2005. Most of the early horror stories were due to techs throwing parts at the symptoms. Everything looked like blown head gaskets when that wasn't actually the root of the problem. The biggest problem in the 6.0 is casting sand left in the block. Since the oil cooler and EGR cooler are inline, it clogs up the coolant passages in the oil cooler then starves the EGR cooler of coolant. This is ~$5,000 repair at the dealer, ~$2,000 in parts IIRC. I haven't heard of anyone having this problem after installing a coolant filter and changing the filters regularly.

If you plan to put a tuner on a 6.0, plan on putting in ARP headstuds...the kit is ~$500 but installation is a PITA. The book calls for cab removal, but there are how-tos on doing them without it.

The only downside to the 7.3 that I know of is the transmission. I had 3 of them (95, 99, and 01) and replaced transmissions like clockwork...but I towed with them and expected it. The transmission behind the 6.0 is better suited for towing and is much more reliable.

Personally, I would go for the lower mileage truck. 200,000 miles is a lot for an 05, and being a company truck and knowing how they are treated I wouldn't want it.
great info... so it sounds like as long as you do your maintenance on it that you shouldnt really have a problem.... i dont really plan on doing a tuner necessarily i was planning on an exhaust / leveling kit thats really about it

Originally Posted by Digital4N6
i have an '05 6.0L. changed out the egr cooler myself. has 145k on it.
wanna sell it?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:30 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Originally Posted by iFoam
wanna sell it?
may be open to sell, but not likely in the price range you're looking for as it's well taken care of and a lariat model. been looking at the new 2011 ford diesel, but $55k is a high price!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:35 AM
ladies love my foam.

may be open to sell, but not likely in the price range you're looking for as it's well taken care of and a lariat model. been looking at the new 2011 ford diesel, but $55k is a high price!
yesssir.

but i actually found an 02 silverado 2500hd w/ 135k miles for like 14900 private seller so realistically i could probable pick it up for around 14k.... any opinions on the duramax diesels?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:41 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

ford: best frame; diesel + transmission pairing is good; 7.3=shit on ultra low sulfur fuel, 6.0=ok after 2005, 6.4=not recommended, 6.7=new so high$$

gm: outdated interior; ok frame; duramax is ok; allison transmission is baller

dodge: cummins is baller; transmission is shit; interior is shit

toyota/nissan: get the fuck out of here with that happy meal toy
Old 10-26-2010, 05:53 AM
ladies love my foam.

ford: best frame; diesel + transmission pairing is good; 7.3=shit on ultra low sulfur fuel, 6.0=ok after 2005, 6.4=not recommended, 6.7=new so high$$

gm: outdated interior; ok frame; duramax is ok; allison transmission is baller

dodge: cummins is baller; transmission is shit; interior is shit

toyota/nissan: get the fuck out of here with that happy meal toy
well the one im looking at is at least the LT model... so it does come w/ leather, all power, etc.. but i get what you mean w/ the layout etc...

i <3 dodge but i want 03+ if i buy one and those seem to be 17-18+ and i dont wanna spend that much.... i was looking to keep it aroound 15k or so.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:55 AM
superuser

i'd like to do this if i had a good donor cummins engine and allison transmission...

http://www.fordcummins.com/99-ford-c...-overview.html
Old 10-26-2010, 06:06 AM
ladies love my foam.

i'd like to do this if i had a good donor cummins engine and allison transmission...

http://www.fordcummins.com/99-ford-c...-overview.html
i must say the pic w/ the dually w/ the big cummins sticker on the side was great.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:41 AM
Carolina Kracker

quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26

if you want to know the pros and cons, read up on powerstroke.org and powerstrokenation.com. if you do a search, this topic comes up a lot. before you buy any, get an oasis report be it a 7.3 or a 6.0. i have had experience with both, if you get a good 6.0 you will be pleased.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:58 AM
ladies love my foam.

Originally Posted by quick26
if you want to know the pros and cons, read up on powerstroke.org and powerstrokenation.com. if you do a search, this topic comes up a lot. before you buy any, get an oasis report be it a 7.3 or a 6.0. i have had experience with both, if you get a good 6.0 you will be pleased.

Quick Reply: powerstroke diesel question: 7.3L or 6.0L