Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Quality torque wrench?

Old 03-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Huntin Dropa ForLife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPRacing has disabled reputation
Default Re: Quality torque wrench?

Originally Posted by MookHaasa
I want to buy a good torque wrench with accurate readings. What kinds do you all use and how are they holding up over time? Should i get a digital one?

I live near animal jungle on holland road. I have an air compressor. Can some one lend me an imapct gun so i can take of my fly wheel off?
i prefer the craftsman torque wrenches. I use them on all my motor builds and took them to work and compared their accuracy on different ranges with Snap On ones and they were the same.

Ingersoll Rand Impacts are great. love mine. also, some craftsman guns are made by them too.

Originally Posted by XCELR8
I'm in consensus with everyone else on Snap-on, however, their prices are outrageous. A Craftsman torque wrench is going to be great tool for a shade tree mechanic like yourself and it will cost half the price. Not to mention, the Craftsman tool will have a lifetime warranty regardless.
negative. craftsman hand tools have lifetime warranty. All others have at least a one year. all air tools have a 1 or 2 year (2 being for the professional series) and an option to add an additional year for 15% of the price of the item. Same thing applies to all power tools and some shop vacs. Bench power tools and some shopw vacs have optional Purchase agreements as well.

I work part time at sears. Call me up and i'll hook you up 757-575-2416.
-Francisco

(also, OP i live right by you)

-Francisco
Old 03-03-2007, 07:17 PM
JAY SPEC

00civichatch 00civichatch

craftsman on the torque wrench based on price/useablity

Ingersol Rand "Titanium" --- best feeling, most durrable, strongest impacted ive used. Its worth every $300+ dollaz
Old 03-04-2007, 05:32 AM
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation

Although everyone likes Snap-on...I own, use and trust a Craftsman torque wrench at home and at work. I see no need to buy an over priced brand name when another tool of same QUALITY is cheaper.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:47 AM
DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok

Originally Posted by 00civichatch
craftsman on the torque wrench based on price/useablity

Ingersol Rand "Titanium" --- best feeling, most durrable, strongest impacted ive used. Its worth every $300+ dollaz
+1 on the Titanium - I have both the 1/2 and 3/8. A guy in my shop bought some new SnapOn gun and thought it was the shit, so we hooked them together and the Titanium spun the SnapOn gun backwards.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Uno Mas

p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone

I like my 3/8 Snap-On MG31. Bitch has got some serious balls for a 3/8
Old 03-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Logic is my religion

R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld

Im not a big fan of craftsman tools, I hate them actualy, the ratchets are always giving me trouble. We just won a 3 year long battle at work to get rid of all our craftsman garbage and go with snap on.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Doin' (today) stuff

DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS

been very pleased with all my craftsman tools, snap-on and matco are fine too. most of them are all made by the same tooling lines anyways... compare matco and autozone's duralast tools, exact same thing....
Old 03-04-2007, 02:01 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by MookHaasa
okay, no digital.

Is there some brand that makes exceptional torque wrenches?

yep, if you want an analog wrench, i would check out toolsource and get a precision tool dial unit, they are very nice for the money. they make most of the torque wrenches for MAC.

Originally Posted by Yell88CRXsi
Although everyone likes Snap-on...I own, use and trust a Craftsman torque wrench at home and at work. I see no need to buy an over priced brand name when another tool of same QUALITY is cheaper.

i'll put my tech angle up against your crapsman any day of the week on a GM intake gasket job, and then we will check to see who's was off the 2 ftlbs that it takes to completely throw off the main journal alignment.

i'll risk it that i "spent too much" for my strap on torque wrench vs. risk it with a POS that crapsman has made for them. yes, theirs is good for not alot of repetition, and is somewhat accurate. but i would rather have one that i know is right on the money, than risk it.

all torque wrenches should be recalibrated at least once a year, i have all three of mine done every three months. not cheap, but i cannot risk it being off.

Originally Posted by The Wok
+1 on the Titanium - I have both the 1/2 and 3/8. A guy in my shop bought some new SnapOn gun and thought it was the shit, so we hooked them together and the Titanium spun the SnapOn gun backwards.

i made the strap on man eat his words with both of my IR guns. i hate the new red strap on titanium, its still heavy and dont have the balls it should for the price.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:26 PM
The Rev

Turbo_Dreams

Snap-On torque wrench. Digital is a luxury you only need if the wrench is making you money and you're using it a lot.

You have an air compressor and no impact? Buy yourself an Ingersol-Rand Titanium. Air tools are the one place where Snap-On doesn't make the best stuff.
I love my I-R its really light weight and its got tons of power.All the shop gusn we have are I-R's as well and they get a beating everyday and they still work.