Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Question about subwoofer enclosures

Old 06-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol
Default Re: Question about subwoofer enclosures

Originally Posted by joshuaa3
some pics of what the hatch looks like i think http://www.trailvoy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13195

what about putting some in a box under the front seats or the middle row? the pre made boxes for pickups might fit?
Front seats are both electric and with dual AC its packed under there.
Also the rear seats is where the battery saver and the jack and stuff are located.

There is no 3rd row in the SS version. Also in the SS version on the right side there is an Air Compressor... due to the Air ride suspension and is a standard added option...which is pretty cool comes with a hose that can reach all around the truck too.

Center console wont come out either due to that is where the dual AC is at.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The hatch will work fine for subs, I've done stuff like that in my past life with wagons and SUVs...
The big thing you have to watch out for is making the hatch rattle free. You'll have extra weight of the subs and enclosure, and a lot of vibration obviously. Put a piece of craft foam under the license plate, and pad and secure every loose piece of anything in the hatch. Latch adjustment will be critical too; you'll want to make sure it's very tight or you'll really hear it. The box itself isn't very difficult in these installs usually, MDF sides and back and a fiberglass front is usually really easy and looks great. A bumped out fiberglass front will give you some extra depth for subs and blend everything together into the factory trim lines. You can do a fiberglass back also if you want, but I'd suggest some dynamat or thin sheet foamon the stock sheet metal first. Vibration will quickly separate the resin from the metal and make a nice rattly interface between the two. Think ahead about what is going to happen, because it will. I'd suggest stock color vinyl to match the stock trim, and matching grill cloth over the subs to make them hide a little more. The less they stand out, the less of a theft target you'll have.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 06-07-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Registered member

Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol

^^ That is pretty much what I was thinking... I used to do car stereos for Best Buy but that was back in 97-99 and I havent made a fiberglass box since then and my MECP has expired so Im hoping to find someone who can do a good job for me.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:10 AM
dru
GUIBO!?

dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru

lol I'd just fiberglass myself since you have some sort of experience

fiberglass is fun
Old 06-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Registered member

umm no I have touched that stuff in 7 yrs... it would come out looking like some new age art bullshit all fucked up.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Fiberglass is like falling off a log, you never forget. Go easy on the resin, make sure the glass is wetted out properly, and don't keep adding resin once it is. That's the biggest mistake people make.

Wrapping the box in vinyl, that's a little more difficult to jump right back into.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:13 AM
dru
GUIBO!?

dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru

^that is what I hate doing....
Old 06-10-2007, 08:50 PM
loves quervo

uglyDC2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Fiberglass is like falling off a log, you never forget. Go easy on the resin, make sure the glass is wetted out properly, and don't keep adding resin once it is. That's the biggest mistake people make.

Wrapping the box in vinyl, that's a little more difficult to jump right back into.
unless its a flat beauty panel it gets carpet or some kind of paint / texture
i hate fucking with vinyl .... even the 2 way stretch stuff pisses me off
Old 06-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Luxury = Love

Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty

no one answered if they could do a glass box though