Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

streched tire's 225 on a 9.5

Old 04-02-2007, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86
Default Re: streched tire's 225 on a 9.5

Originally Posted by WhiteSSP
Funny, I dont see any race teams doing it.

You guys must be super smart or something, you should tell every racing team thats ever existed that they would be much fater if they'd go with a tire that doesnt fit properly.
I've seen plenty.

Do rally drivers run slicks? Do drag racers run mud tires? It depends on the application. Your usage of "race team" is too generic. There are tons of different types of racing on all sorts of surfaces. Drift cars run stretched tires to reduce the side wall flex. The stiffer it is, the more feedback your going to feel from the car.

Its a similar principle to running high tire pressure when autocrossing. Its stiffer and more responsive. I can't speak for road racing - never done it.

Last edited by Silverbullet86; 04-02-2007 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:19 AM

Turbox3 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Silverbullet86
I've seen plenty.
Your usage of "race team" is too generic. .....Drift cars run stretched tires to reduce the side wall flex.

No, his usage was fine; drifting isn't racing. Anyone trying to run a 205 on a 9-10" rim is an idiot.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:20 AM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Silverbullet86
I've seen plenty.

Do rally drivers run slicks? Do drag racers run mud tires? It depends on the application. Your usage of "race team" is too generic. There are tons of different types of racing on all sorts of surfaces.
But none require a wrong size tire being placed on a wheel.

Drift cars run stretched tires to reduce the side wall flex. The stiffer it is, the more feedback your going to feel from the car.
We have determined drifting is not racing, it is a complete style sport, and if you are not drifting and you set your car up that way, it has no practical application on the roadway. Also those who do drift do not run such a crazy offset, a 205 on a 10in wheel, what idiot drifter would do that?

Its a similar principle to running high tire pressure when autocrossing. Its stiffer and more responsive. I can't speak for road racing - never done it.
Uhh no, it has no practical application, it does not result in being stiffer because the sidewall angle would be incorrect, and get that responsive shit out of here. The tire is not designed to be used in that manner, its responsiveness is designed upon proper tire pressure and load dynamics. Running higher pressure for autocrossing does not exceed maximum tire pressure, yet disreguards the automakers guidelines to sacrifice ride quality and noise for performance. That is why it is benefits an autocrossser to do so.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by ballinnmiami240
A 225 shouldn't be too much of a strech. I'm doing it for tire to fender clearance not because of a trend. again......these rim/tire combo are just for daily driving duties....nothing more.

I'm ordering a set of race rims that will rock 245/275 hoosier slicks. HPDE here I come.

If you can afford a set of track wheels and slicks (which you'll be wearing out and replacing at a decent pace) along with running HPDE's enough to justify Hoosier's, surely you can afford a street wheel/tire setup that makes sense. Ditch the wheels with the wrong offset and get something that lets you run a combo that isn't unsafe and doesn't look like shit
Old 04-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada

I understand that part. No business will even look at the rim/tire combo. Some even asked me how much did the rims cost. lol..........and these people mount tires....GTFO.

A 225 shouldn't be too much of a strech. I'm doing it for tire to fender clearance not because of a trend. again......these rim/tire combo are just for daily driving duties....nothing more.

I'm ordering a set of race rims that will rock 245/275 hoosier slicks. HPDE here I come.

I'm more leaning towards selling the 225 and get a set of 235 or 245's. Since, the street/track tire combo will be the same and will not chanhe me suspension set up too much.
Bad idea, start out with some street tires.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

Originally Posted by Turbox3
If you can afford a set of track wheels and slicks (which you'll be wearing out and replacing at a decent pace) along with running HPDE's enough to justify Hoosier's, surely you can afford a street wheel/tire setup that makes sense. Ditch the wheels with the wrong offset and get something that lets you run a combo that isn't unsafe and doesn't look like shit
I never said I couldn't afford tires. My set up right now is a 245/265 combo. IMO it looks fine. I just wanted to try a 225/255 combo out.

The track whores/tire combo I will be getting are a straight hook up.

Offset has nothing to do with tire size. I would love to see pictures of all these people with their safe, right size tire, and perfect offset set ups. This makes me chuckle.

It's personal prefference people.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Drink Up, Chumps

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Originally Posted by NismoSE-R
Bad idea, start out with some street tires.
Nahh... I can tell from this thread that he knows what he's doing.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:22 AM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

I never said I couldn't afford tires. My set up right now is a 245/265 combo. IMO it looks fine. I just wanted to try a 225/255 combo out.
No you sure did not but:
Originally Posted by WishIHadaSilvia
FYI the only reason I'd attempt to run a 205/50 on a 10 inch rim is because I am broke and wouldn't be able to afford new tires with the wheels...so I'd stretch the stockers over the new wheels.
Offset has nothing to do with tire size. I would love to see pictures of all these people with their safe, right size tire, and perfect offset set ups. This makes me chuckle.
Offset does deal with tires size. See you run a different offset wheel to squeeze more tire under the fenders. If I want to put a 325 series tire in the back of the Camaro for instance it requires me to use a different offset.

It's personal prefference people.
A 205 size tire on 10in wheel is not personal preference, it is stupid an unsafe.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86

Originally Posted by BigBake
Uhh no, it has no practical application, it does not result in being stiffer because the sidewall angle would be incorrect, and get that responsive shit out of here. The tire is not designed to be used in that manner, its responsiveness is designed upon proper tire pressure and load dynamics. Running higher pressure for autocrossing does not exceed maximum tire pressure, yet disreguards the automakers guidelines to sacrifice ride quality and noise for performance. That is why it is benefits an autocrossser to do so.
sorry, i wasn't clear. I did not try to imply that autocross cars run stretched tires. I was just making the point that they fill up their tire pressure higher than normal driving conditions to get the car to feel more responsive.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:35 AM

My bad, I was getting that from this comment "FYI the only reason I'd attempt to run a 205/50 on a 10 inch rim is because I am broke and wouldn't be able to afford new tires with the wheels" made by "WishIHadaSilvia". Didn't realize there were so many people on this thread looking to put the wrong tires on their wheels. So, why do you want to try a smaller tire on a wheel that wasn't meant for that size?

The track whores/tire combo I will be getting are a straight hook up.
So, are you pretty advanced with your track experience or are you a beginner? If you're a beginner, please don't start out on Hoosier slicks for you own safety.

Offset has nothing to do with tire size.
Actually, it can and does. Offset effects what size tire you can run with respect to fender and suspension clearance. For example, on my MR2 I can run 255/40/17 on a 17x9" wheel with +38 offset, but would likely need to roll the fenders. I could run a 245 tire and not need to roll, or I could get a 17x9" wheel with about a +45 and run the 255 without rolling. You stated "A 225 shouldn't be too much of a strech. I'm doing it for tire to fender clearance not because of a trend." This tells me that you're having fender clearance issues, which could be resolved possibly by going with a different offset, or getting smaller wheels to run the 225's.

Quick Reply: streched tire's 225 on a 9.5