Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Trading cars?

Old 06-24-2006, 01:02 PM
RS Doscientos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic
Default Re: Trading cars?

Originally Posted by ZC4ME
if you wait that long before putting a car in your name the person that you got the car from still has to have insurance and pay taxes on it, If they don't keep it insured then they will be fined 500 dollars, lose their license and have to get a sr22

i have one now because of that shit! Don't fuck over the person you are getting something from.

to cover your own ass make a bill of sale so you can prove the date that you sold the car and DON'T cancel the insurance until you have signed over the title.

be careful people on here are dicks (sometimes) and don't give a shit about you and your well being.
True story. But I was told you can cover you ass in this situation by actually turning in the plates/registraition for the vehicle and telling them you no longer own the vehicle. Then the car can is in a empty state of existance where no one is paying taxes on it.

Not trying to add the blame to you, as I felt I was screwed by someone for doing this to me also, and was told by other members of this act of "turning plates in".
Old 06-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Speak&Spell Anyone?

Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell

Originally Posted by litlespic
True story. But I was told you can cover you ass in this situation by actually turning in the plates/registraition for the vehicle and telling them you no longer own the vehicle. Then the car can is in a empty state of existance where no one is paying taxes on it.

Not trying to add the blame to you, as I felt I was screwed by someone for doing this to me also, and was told by other members of this act of "turning plates in".

I actually switched the plates over to the other car the same day of the trade so i didn't turn in the plates so it still fucked me. I even got the other car insured the same day but no go.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:27 PM
PoNtEeN4

Henryx33 has disabled reputation

I dont know to much about VA state law, but when you trade cars the only fee you should have to pay at the DMV is title transfer and registration. There was no purchase... their for they can't tax you on anything...
Old 06-24-2006, 11:36 PM
RS Doscientos

litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic

Originally Posted by ZC4ME
I actually switched the plates over to the other car the same day of the trade so i didn't turn in the plates so it still fucked me. I even got the other car insured the same day but no go.
ohh wow, remind me never to trade cars.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Chisle is an unknown quantity at this point

so how long do you guys think this process would take? and do both parties have to be present at the dmv at the same time in order for the trade to happen? do both cars have to be registered at the same time as well?
Old 06-28-2006, 11:15 AM
UNCEUNCEUNCEUNCEUNCE

boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband

Originally Posted by Chisle
so how long do you guys think this process would take? and do both parties have to be present at the dmv at the same time in order for the trade to happen? do both cars have to be registered at the same time as well?
Charge each other a dollar for the cars and that'll probably make the 'trade' much smoother through DMV.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:44 AM
Registered Member

gsxrguy24179 is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys all of you have hit on valid points but this process is so simple....you both sign your titles to each other and trade keys..that is all...you do not have to go to DMV to do this....but when you get ready to title the vehicle then u must go to dmv...they do not recognize trades in va so you have to pay title tax and tags..the whole 1 dollar thing is bogus...also whatever price you put on the title (and u have to put a selling price on the title)make sure u both give eac h other a bill of sale dmv WILL ask for it if the selling price is lower than the book value of the vehicle...ALSO how to get the vehicles to your house...you can either trailor them or if you feel comfortable letting each other use the tags that are the vehicles to transport them...or you can to dmv and sign up for a transport tag if one or the other party lives out of town...just make sure you put ins on the vehicle before you pick it up and drive it all you need then is the vin# yr make and model of the car for the ins company....
Old 08-01-2006, 06:40 AM
dont wuurry

RightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond repute

if you have a bill of sale that seems outrageous it has to be notarized now as well. This is a rule for atleast 3 of the DMV's ive been to here in NOVA. you can also go online and get 3 day transport tags if one or the other doesnt have plates or live far away.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:46 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby

Well they way we did it in GA is your and the other party get together trade keys, a dollar, and titles. Then go to the tag office and register it(formally know as DMV here) then wait 2 weeks for the title to arrive. Here you get it same day. Which through me off when i first went. I asked the person why are you give me the title back? But thats besides the point.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:55 AM
RS Doscientos

Originally Posted by RightDiddy
if you have a bill of sale that seems outrageous it has to be notarized now as well. This is a rule for atleast 3 of the DMV's ive been to here in NOVA. you can also go online and get 3 day transport tags if one or the other doesnt have plates or live far away.
Notorized mine today. Apparently my car was worth more than I thought and didnt think it would be a big deal.

Quick Reply: Trading cars?