Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Tuner wrecks customer's Ford GT, situation devolves from there

Old 10-21-2010, 10:46 AM
This.isEntertainment

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn
Default Re: Tuner wrecks customer's Ford GT, situation devolves from there

this is no different then if you let your friend / family member or whatever drive your car and they crash it. the insurance you pay for is for that specific car and doesn't matter if your driving it or not. it works like comprehensive, if someone keys your car, or does any type of damage to your car, your insurance company still pays for it. you are responsible for your car and who YOU let drive it, thats a risk that you take letting someone drive your car. it doesn't matter if its a million dollar car or a vw cabrio. that is my opinion on that matter. now if bill wants to keep getting business then he will pay for it all, even then he will suffer a signifigant loss to his reputation.

my head hurts.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:48 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by Fabrik8

Maybe someone can answer this: If you're driving someone's car, and you get into an accident, doesn't the insurance of the driver (not the vehicle owner) have to cover damages?

I have been on both sides of this situation, and both times the vehicle owners insurance covered the repair, then went after the drivers insurance to compensate. Of course, one of the situations involved a driver with no license nor insurance....

Originally Posted by Delbanner
I still want to know what the driver says "malfunctioned". That would either really REALLY help him or bury him in a shallow grave somewhere in the desert where he won't ever be seen again.
Yep. Or at the very least a doctor saying he blacked out or suffered some form of medical issue causing the wreck. Cuz the info on the wreck does not paint a pretty picture.

Originally Posted by Malfoy

To any local tuner shop people who might read this story: do you guys carry insurance on the cars you work on or do you tell the car's owners its on them?

I don't know much about insurance law, but unless Bill can show something failed on that car before he did any work to it, I would think he should front the entire bill.

If they are legitimate, yes, they will carry at the bare minimum a blanket liability policy. The VASP requires .5 million in Garage Keeper liability to maintain a state inspectors license.

Most low volume shops keep it at that level, but if they do any real amounts of business or work on vehicles worth more than 25k they are retarded to keep less than 1M.

Originally Posted by TiredToyotaDrvr
I have a shit ton of insurance... its a MUST.

Insurance is the second largest business expense behind only my weekly mortgage...

Shop owner probably doesnt want to file a claim and I dont blame him. Is he wrong? SHOULD he submit the claim? Yes.
Yup. What most shops have is considered a "Garage Keepers Liability" policy, which covers the general liability on the vehicle while it is in their possession. Which includes test drives and the such. It is different (at least in my policies) than content and vandalism, which is a rider on the business building and contents policy.

Originally Posted by Scotty_Nooo
I cant speak for automotive shops or what the laws are in California about businesses being insured but what i can tell you is that when i worked for my uncles power washing company he had to have $1 Million in coverage in case of property damage and personal injury. I would assume somebody working with exotic cars would be required to have more but i can't say for certain.
Unfortunately there are no requirements for insurance in most states, especially in VA. You have to be licensed to be a doctor, dentist, barber, tattoo artist, and even beauticians, but people who work on a 45k dollar piece of equipment that has the potential to kill many people if a problem arose need no licensing at all.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:52 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by Quentin
Bill pays for it or Ray sue's him. Shouldn't be harder than that. At least I would think not.
Meh, I agree on the logistics, however, any issues should be turned over to the owners insurance first. We had a car get a big ass rock thrown through the window a few months back by some punk ass kid driving down the road, and I called my insurance company first thing. They told me it was not my responsibility, the vehicle owner had to report it to their insurance then they would contact my company.

Of course, this guy is pretty much fucked depending on how his company was set up for liability protection and shit. If he is a sole proprietor, they are gonna stroke him.

Basically, the GT owners insurance *should* take care of the car and medical bills, then they will go after the guy with everything they have to get their money back.

Been there, seen that.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

ODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic

Basically, the GT owners insurance *should* take care of the car and medical bills, then they will go after the guy with everything they have to get their money back.

Been there, seen that.
This.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:09 AM
beautiful struggle

Quentin has disabled reputation

Well I learned something new today.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:21 AM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

So I take it that this shop owner doesn't want any future customers?

At least think more than one move ahead boss.

LOL
Old 10-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Two more pics;

Old 10-22-2010, 10:32 AM
slingshot engage.

dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin'

^ I agree with HatefulMechanic.

Then again, I wouldn't even drive a turbo GT with those crappy Goodyear Eagle Supercars on there- those are like ice skates.

I hope this tuner gets what he has comin' and I hope the owner gets a new ride outta this.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

It depends on the shop and state, but generally if a shop/dealer wrecks your car it falls on your insurance; comp/collision follow the car. What should hapen here is the FGT's owner's insurance will total the car and pay out less the owner's collision deductible. Then they will try to go after the shop owner to get reimbursed.

It's perfectly valid for the tuner/driver/crasher to place a personal injury claim on the car owner's insurance... will be interesting to see how this settles out.

One thing... If I take my twin turbo FGT to a tuner to tune it.... I'm going to expect him to have to do some high speed pulls somewhere somehow. I mean you can only do so much drivability tuning on a dyno.

Really sucks becuase the car was the gulf oil colors
Old 11-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

Nismosam has disabled reputation

ouch

Quick Reply: Tuner wrecks customer's Ford GT, situation devolves from there