Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

uti??

Old 01-05-2010, 12:07 PM
VintageGashHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry
Default Re: uti??

Old 01-05-2010, 12:07 PM
VintageGashHunter

captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry

Originally Posted by Don Juan
ok a couple of things..

how old are you?
what other options do you have including school wise?
do you already know about cars?
how is your driving record? if its shit then dont go.
im 18, i have the apprentice school and dominion nuclear power. both pay you while your there. yes i know about cars. im working on my 3rd automotive class this year. and the record is clean

Originally Posted by Daft Punk
You get paid to go to school while at the Apprentice program at NGNN.
yeah i already sent my application
Old 01-06-2010, 02:49 PM
repping that gR

WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3

dont go to UTI. you have more going for you around here..
Old 01-06-2010, 02:56 PM
VintageGashHunter

Originally Posted by Don Juan
dont go to UTI. you have more going for you around here..
ok thnks luv you for the info guys
Old 01-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Leroyyy

Cjenk029 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by all4sr's
yeah, i went through with all of it, did it for a couple months F/T and i fucking hate it, my own shit/friends shit, it's fun. But for everyday work it sucks
I hear that. Worked on my car / friends cars 6 days out of the week for years. Worked at Circuit City, wanted to get in the shop, but didn't for 2 years. Went to Best Buy, got in the shop installing car audio, and started hating working on my car / friends cars / got out of the Honda scene and so on.

Not saying nobody should work on cars for a living, as many people do it and love it. A friend of mine did something similar, started woring at Acura washing cars, and is now a tech. Learns something new every day and loves his job.

Working on it for a paycheck made me hate it, and not want to spend my paycheck on my car anymore. Going from working in a shop w/ ac, power tools / doors / plenty of supplies to working in my parents driveway with only the tools I brought home from work that day was a major pain in the ass.

The ATI recruiter / admissions guy called me just hours before I got my acceptance letter from ODU. I didn't know what I wanted to do at the time, but I called the ATI guy back and canceled my meeting, and called ODU and told them I was coming in the fall. Best decision I ever made.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

I passed up my school opportunitys, because I have worked at the same shop since I was 14. (Legal working age with a permit, independent business) Needless to say, I am looking for a way out. I am trying to sell my car to get out of a car payment and high dollar insurance. Buy something maybe slightly modded and super reliable and go to school. I plan on going to school for the medical field, I thought when I was younger I loved working on cars and it was the greatest thing ever.

A few years later...I grew up and realized. Fuck this. Esp after being in the business for 5 years. I have learned things far and from what comes out of the auto industry and the pain that comes with.

However, its like the military. Its either for you or its not. I know plenty of people who love doing it as a career, however not me. I'd rather keep it as a hobby/passion.

My best advice I can give you is, go to a shop (not jiffy lube or any express place) and apply for the entry level tech, doing tires/oil changes/minor stuff. Get the feel of it, gather up some tools and at the same time you pretty much learn what you need to know..for free. Most shops will train you and aid you in areas you need help in, rather than paying for it. After you get two years shop experience, go take an ASE Test. Order the Motorage training books for the ASE's as well and study them. You can't get ASE cert. unless you have two years in shop experience and have it documented. I just got my certs and now I want out. Ha.

Schools are nice, for someone looking for a career change and depends on it for a living. Right now, your still in school, probably have a part time job and want to pursue this as a career. If its what you really want, you gotta start low and work your way up. Service Writers also make bank, at dealerships. It's all on what you want to do. Best of luck.