Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

What cars have you owned and what problems have they had?

Old 05-06-2010, 05:15 AM
Zombies found Waldo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie
Default Re: What cars have you owned and what problems have they had?

About 27 pieces of shit. And I'm not going to list them or there problems. Because I would be here all day.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:16 AM
woot! :D

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts

First Car:
1997 Honda Civic LX. (Gave it back to me parents)
Had a D series motor.
EVAP Purge control Solenoid went bad.
Loud valve tap when cold.
Automatic

1990 Nissan S13 (Bought it myself)
Bad throwout bearing
Clutch slave cylinder is leaking
Running a little rich.
Passenger side rear brake is incredibly worn down.
Nearly 0 tread on tires.
Starter had a dead spot in it about 2 weeks ago. Replaced.
Shitty flat black paint job.
Reverse lights dont work
Seats have almost no cushion in them.
Rear wiper doesn't work.
Wiper fluid doesnt work.

Bought it myself and I love it more than my old civic. Even with its problems.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:21 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Originally Posted by The Guy
(Gave it back to me parents)
Arrrghh matey! I once had a scooner to sail the high sees, but I too gave it back to me parents
Old 05-06-2010, 05:26 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

i'll play. take a trip down memory lane... even though my car history isn't very exciting, it's interesting to see the phases some people go through.

85 isuzu p'up- had it about a year. that's right, and i actually saw one the other day!!! i didn't think any were left on the road... my 1st vehicle, i ran it into the ground, so any problems i had were not the truck's fault. it did gradually just... lose power to the point where it wasn't even safe to drive anymore, but it ran ok. weird.

88 ford bronco II 2wd - bought used, i think it had 8x,xxx miles on it. this one lasted me about 2-3 years.
- BOTH heads cracked @ around ~95k miles. replaced engine with used unit.
- shift knob would randomly pop off in your hand. funny, but not necessarily a mechanical defect.
- u-joint snapped and dropped the driveshaft on the ground, front end first. had i been going at highway speeds, i surely would have been killed.
- all i can remember. i know there was more, that truck was a piece, but it somehow was popular with the ladies. i have no idea why.

68 chevrolet chevelle- bought used (lol) with an indefinite amount of miles... i think 120k??? my introduction to 'performance' cars. only had it about 8 months.
- nothing. the car was amazing. wasn't perfect, but was a very solid classic, ran great, wasn't really all that fast (maybe mid 14s?) but had so much torque it felt like i was at a dragstrip every time i took off from a light... and had tons of potential. i only sold it because of the idiotic gas mileage... i think it literally got about 8 mpg due to the 750 carb and ridiculous cam profile on a 400 small block... and i could barely afford to get back and forth to work back then. i bought it for $3700, did nothing to it but change the oil and spark plugs, and sold it for $6000. the guy i sold it to promptly BACKED IT INTO A TELEPHONE POLE. i miss that car...

90 nissan 240sx- bought used for $1900 with 140k on the clock. had about 4 years? i think?
- needed a clutch right away when i bought it. this activity introduced me to removing the transmission, which i would perform many times afterwards
- shifter stuck in 4th gear. luckily, an awesome guy at the dealership i worked at volunteered to rebuild it for me, FOR FREE. he told me to buy the parts, bring him the tranny, and i looked over his shoulder while he replaced fourth gear, reverse, and syncros for each. ran great after that, until...
- clutch pedal stuck on the floor. the aftermarket clutch i bought sheared the ball off the end of the clutch fork, where it pushed against the slave cylinder. nissan has an upgraded part for this now, apparently it was a semi-common problem. for the 3rd time, the transmission had to come down, but it was (again) a cheap fix.
- speedometer gear stripped inside the tranny. $80 for new part...
- otherwise, great car? the stock ka never gave me any trouble at all, even though it had 140k+ on it and i pulled it apart and put some stupid cam in it and a ported/polished head (which btw only served to make it SLOWER... although with some valve springs and a gear in the rear end it would have been exponentially quicker... quite possibly the world's first 13 second na ka24...? we'll never know...)

95 eagle talon tsi/awd- used, 60k. only had it about 6-7 months.
- clutch started slipping HORRIBLY to the point of being immobile ON THE TRIP HOME FROM THE DEALERSHIP. i freaked out, assumed it was somehow related to crankwalk. turned out it only needed adjustment, but the emotional trauma stuck with me...
- stupid aftermarket crap struts/shocks were blown.
- broke the left front halfshaft doing a redline launch. FUCK ALL OF YOU who say dsm drivetrains are stout. this car was bone stock, this never should have happened, even though i felt like a complete dumbass for doing it. this was enough for me to put it up on the market, i was sick of it.

92 sr20det-swapped 240sx- bought used, can't remember mileage on chassis but only about 30k on motor. this car was 'bought not built', but the body and paint were just too good to pass up, plus the swap and a load of other high-dollar parts for $9k. kept it for a little over a year, should have never let it go.
- only problem was self-inflicted... i blew up the power fc it had in it by crossing the positive and negative battery cables. stupidest mistake ever... and quite costly. not only was the $1200 power fc unit fried, but i replaced it with a $500 mine's ecu, and the car was out of commission for a good month and a half.
- it needed a wheel bearing when i sold it. that's it, it was a great car and i wish i kept it. i just couldn't stand the lack of a/c, and the way the swap was done effectively eliminated ever having a/c in the car again... and the guy i sold it to sold it an idiot who smashed it up trying to drift it. the paint job had to have costed the original owner at least $7-8 grand. the only crucial part this car didn't have was an lsd... so of course, the dumbass tries to drift it...

97 bmw m3- bought it used with 127k. i've had it for 3.5 years, it's my current car and it's for sale.
- starter died. i wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy after what i went through... suffice it to say that the starters on these things are in a very inappropriate location... the intake manifold had to come off. i was so frustrated while i was working on it i apparently left a vacuum hose off when i put it back together, it ran like shit for a while then i dropped it off at the dealership because i was sick of fucking with it. they fixed the vacuum hose... and the random camshaft position sensor. of course the check engine light came back on within 500 miles, shortly after putting gas in it. so now i assume it needs a gas cap.
- the stock suspension was ruined. with 147k at time of replacement, not surprising.
- the paint was awful. don't know if it was just my car or all cosmos black e36s... but it had to be painted, i couldn't take it anymore.
but that's it. this has been by far my favorite car ever, even though it's pissed me off to no end on numerous occasions. right now it's in the best shape of its life since it rolled off the lot, and ready for a new home.

next car = looking like either an 07 335i or 06 m3 competition package.

Last edited by blackout; 05-06-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:29 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by Flite
Arrrghh matey! I once had a scooner to sail the high sees, but I too gave it back to me parents
lol. pirate references are so fucking funny.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:30 AM
mmmhhm sheeet

crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1 crisissk8ter1

LOLOLZ +rep
Old 05-06-2010, 05:30 AM
Layin Frame

dirty c has disabled reputation

LOL.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:36 AM
Registered Member

terrible advice has disabled reputation

'10 Toyota Tundra 5.7l Rock Warrior 4x4
- spontaniously accelerates and kills people
lost.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:37 AM
(. )( .) & 8====>

Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin'

92 ford taurus gl v6:
- fuel pump died
- not a pair of matching tires, or even matching manufacturers on all 4
- power steering groaned
- holes in the radiator
- numerous things were hit

95 vw golf 5-door 8v:
- oil pump started to die
- rod knock
- block was severely rusted
- a radiator hose melted
- bent wheel
- a/c blew hot air in the off position
- gauge lights were out
- various bits of trim fell off
- backfired at every downshift (lol it's got anti-lag, bro)
- wouldn't hold an idle unless it was 60-70 degrees out.

02 honda accord coupe v6:
- had to replace the auto trans when i hit a mudslide after a hurricane
- no other problems other than it's showing its age and that it's really dirty from sitting in my driveway for nearly a year before being driven daily again

current car:
- needs a fender roll in the rear, which it's getting today
- front bumper doesn't line up great because of an accident
- otherwise, no headaches

Last edited by Kim Jong Illin'; 05-06-2010 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:43 AM
Bath salt trippin'

Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon

1991 240sx Fastback: Loved this car, never any problems, and the body was nearly pristine. It got t-boned.

1990 240sx Coupe: Bought it for $20. Was automatic and engine was about to blow. Switched to a manuel and ka24de, and shortly after to an SR20. Learned my lesson with buying shitty body kits, had lots of rust to repair.

1994 Honda Accord: My first daily. Never any major problems.

2003 Mitsubishi Evo: Had a weird whining noise in first gear, which my assumption was the throw out bearing (I heard it was a common problem, so I didn't care). Eventually had an oil leak before I sold it. You know those dixie cups they sell? There was barely enough oil to cover the surface area of the bottom of the cup. I was running with that for about a week, then sold it to some jerk in New York.

1997 Honda Accord: Current daily. Exhaust rusted off. The cable on the driver side window snapped, and no longer works. It sucks.

1993 Mazda RX7: My first FD. Beautiful inside and out. Was about to take it to have the engine tuned, but it got totalled the night before.

1994 Mazda RX7: Second, and current FD. Basically needed a new engine right after I purchased it. Waited about 4 months for the build, got it back, did the break-in, took it back for a tune, and PFS blew the engine on the dyno. Had to wait several more months for another build. Needs a paintjob.

Quick Reply: What cars have you owned and what problems have they had?