Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

What do to? Legally?

Old 04-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cbucgo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do to? Legally?

Instead of going to this and going to that and asking everybodys advice; here are the facts.
- No lemon law on used cars. This applies to new vehicles only.
- No 3 day grace period. (I know I know, hate to be that guy to break the news, but there isn't)
-If the vehicle has had "salvage" history, by law the buyer must be told.
- Being you bought the car from a used car dealership, you may or may not have signed a "Buyers Guide" otherwise known as an FTC (federal trade commission) sticker that all used vehicles MUST have displayed in plain view. One copy is yours, the other is the dealerships. You do not have to sign this, it is optionaly, however you do both get a copy. If that sticker has the box checked as-is no warranty... then you bought it as is with no recourse. If it had warranty checked, then you may have addt'l rights.
- On the bill of sale buyers order, there is a big place on the right side half way down the page, that says- "for as is sale only: I understand that this vehicle is being sold "as is" with ALL FAULTS and is NOT covered by any dealer warranty. I understand that the dealer is not required to make any repairs after I buy this vehicle. I will have to pay for any repairs this vehicle will need. (see #10 on reverse side). If you signed and dated there stating you know the car was as is, then the dealer has no responsibility, unfortunately it's on you.
- As for the carfax; it is at the buyers discretion to ask for one. If you didn't ask, they do not have to give.

HERE'S THE GOOD
-If it has salvage history, you can take it back
-If you didn't sign as is on the buyers order, you may have some rights, contact a lawyer
-If you the "warranty" box on the buyers guide was checked stating the vehicle comes with a warranty, you may have addt'l right, contact a lawyer.
If the dealership has any sort of decency, they will try and work things out with you to make it right. You being a happy customer, you might tell 5 people to go there. You being a pissed off customer, you tell 50 people NOT to go there.

That's the facts. Any questions, please let me know. I am a representative of Autos By Choice in Fredericksburg, VA as well as on the board of directors for VIADA (Virginia Independent Automobile Dealers Association)

Otherwisde, good luck.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:18 PM
-RepLegion

Blown Blown Blown Blown Blown Blown Blown Blown Blown Blown Blown

Originally Posted by cpakc1
Another Avenue you could explore is how this car passed VA safety inspection with frame damage? You know and I know they had their resident flunkie slap a sticker on there, but it could be a small bit of leverage over several other factors that get them to take it back.
Va inspection doesn't care about frame damage...

And what is bent exactly? The apron or quarter, rear body panel structure,etc? I don't see how having unibody damage would "burn up" a convertible motor; however I can see how it might not line up and be stuck up.

Where are you located btw? I look for unibody/frame damage and previous repairs on cars for a living and can scope it out and find everything wrong with it if you want specific info
Old 04-28-2007, 07:18 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by nitefire
Gay, so the us attorny generals office says that legally no dealership is not required to inform you that the vehicle has been in an accident.

Further more if you don't ask your stuck with the god damn car. Can somebody tell me where the hell the consumer protection is here. Basically, we can get ass raped by any one with a dealers liscense and get to bend over and and take it? I fail to see how this is good business practices.

Come the U.S. Where it is legal to butt rap folks and they have no legal recourse.

the main thing they are required to do is disclose if it has a salvage title or not, and in VA, it is possible for a car to be totaled and not have a salvage title, all depending if there was a lein on the car or not and who the insurance payment went to, etc.

i know of a WRX that had 16k in damage done to it, and it had a clean carfax. and a clean title.

Originally Posted by cpakc1
Another Avenue you could explore is how this car passed VA safety inspection with frame damage? You know and I know they had their resident flunkie slap a sticker on there, but it could be a small bit of leverage over several other factors that get them to take it back.

uh, no. the only mentions of frame work in the manual is for frame rot or rust (and then only telling how it can be repaired) with no mention of unibody issues.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:48 PM

dorifto83 dorifto83

Originally Posted by nitefire
So lets all start dealerships and sell bullshit cars and hide behind the law.
Or we can buy car's as is, then complain about issues that should have been noted prior to buying the car. You bought it as is, so now you are stuck with it.