Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

What are some awesome moderate beginner sports bikes for a short kid.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:20 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74
Default Re: What are some awesome moderate beginner sports bikes for a short kid.

Another option is the Suzuki GS500E or GS500F. The E is the older fairingless version, F is the newer version with full fairings. I started on a 1998 GS500E. It was a great bike.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:13 AM
Registered Member

B14SERClone has disabled reputation
Default Re: What are some awesome moderate beginner sports bikes for a short kid.

The GS series is an awesome choice, as is the ninja..it's a great all around bike, and it just depends on your preference whether or not you get bored of it. I started with a katana 750 and have loved it. Everyone advised against getting a larger bike..but mine is more of a sport tourer than a true sport bike, so it's very forgiving.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

The suggestions given above (the serious ones) are perfect, but I did want to stop in and add something anyways. Please. PLEASE, don't lower the bike because you're short. You don't have to put both feet down at stop lights. Try it first at "stock" height.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Ovechkinator !

TITS has disabled reputation

no shifting required , perfect for your size
Old 05-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

1BadZX has disabled reputation

either a late 80s or early 90s cbr 600 they sit relatively low.... i ride a 93 600f2 and im flat footed on it and im 5'8
Old 05-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Santeria has disabled reputation

Yea, I'm definitely NOT lowering the springs, it well mess up the handling and who knows what else. I've got to go w/ the 250R THANKS!
Old 05-09-2010, 08:11 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

yeah you really can't go wrong with the 250r... great looking bike and would be perfect for a beginner, and a lot of more experienced riders have been hopping on them lately for the ridiculous gas mileage. i have a feeling that if i could have got my hands on a 250r for msrp from the get-go i might still have it today. just to let you know, i opted with a hyosung gt250r because when i was looking apparently everybody and they mama wanted a ninja 250r and they were asking more than 6k out the door for them at the time. i actually liked the hyosung, but i had a REALLY hard time selling it when i was ready to move on, and i just always felt like i had a second-rate bike, even though it never really gave me any reason to think that way. the only problem i ever had with it was due to letting it sit for the winter on the same tank of gas, and gummed up the carbs. some gas treatment ended up clearing that up anyway. tires were really noisy, too, but that's easily fixed. but for the same msrp as a ninja, the hyo (at least in 08) was air-cooled and carb'd, and had a 5-speed gearbox, and wasn't a kawasaki.

get a ninja, if at all possible.

and honestly, i know some people will tell you that you don't need to be able to put both feet down at a stop, but it's a nice feeling. i'm 5'11" and i actually had a hard time getting both feet flat on the ground on my r6, and that's the only thing i didn't like about that bike. i can not imagine only being able to put one foot on the ground... i wouldn't even bother riding.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Registered member

evan matthews has disabled reputation

My wife could flat foot her 2000 R6 and can flatfoot her 2007 GSXR 600 both stock suspension and she's 5'4".
Old 05-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

BatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these parts

This is what I did to learn. I looked on craigslist for a 2005 Ninja 250 that needed a right handle bar and had a few dents and dings. Ended up getting it for 500 dollars. I fixed the handle bar for 70 dollars. I rode that for about a year and a half. There were some points it was all I had to drive. Recently sold it for 1000 dollars. Not saying you need to learn to turn a buck, but if you are planning on moving up to a SS bike relativly fast (within 1 year) where you could potentially lose money. Just look for something cheap that you wont mind dropping. All in all Im glad I took the time to learn on a 250 and also glad I didnt break the bank looking for something nice for my first bike because I did drop it...twice lol.

Either way GL with any decision and ride safe.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:31 AM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Also on the subject, if you're a heavier / bigger guy the Ninja comes in a 500cc verson though it's much less common than the 250cc.

Quick Reply: What are some awesome moderate beginner sports bikes for a short kid.