Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

where the hell is everyone??????

Old 03-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FumingSmoked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: where the hell is everyone??????

Originally Posted by Stangsta
From its roots as an escapist hobby during the Great Depression to the cultural phenomenon it is today, street racing is no longer about the kind of car you drive - it's about how you live your life. Here is a Fast history of the street racing scene:

Street Racing in the 1940's
Bored teenagers began fabricating their own cars from the vintage frames of 1920's and 1930's Fords and Chevys.
They began racing these cars along the dry lakes of Southern California, testing themselves against each other in timing trials.
The first proven formula cars were vintage American gangster mobiles; Fords and Chevys, especially the '32 Fords with the first V-8 engine.
Street racing began to take over whole city blocks, but the cops let it go; it wasn't legal but it was considered harmless, even acceptable.
Street Racing in the 1950's
50's Greasers formed the first street racing teams who collaborated on one high performance car, one with an engine that was bored and stroked with headers and Mallory ignitions.
The team identity was a necessary step in improving the overall anatomy of a hotrod.
Stoplights across America had become unofficial street racing launch pads, and the police were making arrest.
Street Racing in the 1960's
The commercialization of street racing lead to the creation of "Drag Racing", an attempt to give the pastime a sense of solidarity as a sport, and to make street racing less dangerous by pulling it off the streets.
Visionaries like George Harris and his "Batmobile" camouflaged street racing behind a veneer of Hollywood camp.
The popularization of the street racing culture brought forth the poet of decal, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth.
The desire to street race outside the establishment continued to gain support and the "taming" of street racing had had the reverse effect of expanding the boundaries of the racing participants.
A hot Oldsmobile or Buick replaced a Ford or a Chevy as the street racing car of choice.
Street Racing in the 1970's
The 70's was the decade of the muscle car.
Heavy muscle cars for street racing were stocked with almost unlimited straight-line power, 600 horsepower engines, blowers and nitrous oxide systems, and CB radios that kept the street racers one step ahead of the police.
The loss in stamina, power, and performance drove many street racers back to the sleek 1960's sports cars like the '68 Cougar and '67 Chevelle.
Police failed to eliminate most gatherings, and street racing continued to remain a contest sport.
Street Racing in the 1980's
Street racing became a technology-driven event, with emphasis on suspension and handling, road feel, luxury ride, and gas efficiency.
There was a hunger for "sleekness" in street racing cars.
The street racer sects of Tokyo invented Downhill Racing or Canyon Racing.
Japanese engines and transmissions are modern and computerized. A street racer could tweak the engine with a computer instead of a garage.
Street Racing in the 1990's
Tuning subcompact import cars had taken root among gang circles in Los Angeles, giving the sport of street racing a new glamour.
Car shows and sanctioned drag races helped bring the physiology of Honda Civics and Toyota Supras to the level of street influence.
Acuras, Mitsubishis, Toyotas, and Hondas are the street racing cars of choice.
Street Racing Today
Japanese street racing is the tradition you see today.
Today, it is possible to pick up a street race virtually anywhere in the US.
NDRA is created, becoming the country's most popular sanctioned sport-compact drag racing circuit.
Street racing and its culture grows larger every day as the debate between imports and domestics rages on.

NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!
Fear the Encyclopedia Brown of Dragva
Old 03-21-2004, 06:05 PM
Back for more

GodsOther is an unknown quantity at this point

The "garbage cars" are the ones that we hope to avoid attracting but at the same time I know that the days when there used to be a lot of street racing in this area like this guys is talking about are definetly NOT what they used to be.

Little late on the draw for this one.... oops

Last edited by GodsOther; 03-21-2004 at 06:17 PM. Reason: oops
Old 03-21-2004, 06:16 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Stangsta gets one beer, no one else!
Old 03-21-2004, 06:30 PM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by SignfcntOthr
Stangsta gets one beer, no one else!
except for me.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Eat me.

Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta

anyone wanna fill me in on the whereabouts of the "spots" these days?
i haven't been out of the house much at all in about 4 months due to being grounded.. thats my excuse for not knowing where they're at.
PM me.
(damn, i feel like a little bitch for having to ask and my self morale(sp?) has just plummited)

Last edited by Slimsta Jimsta; 03-21-2004 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Hmmm... good overview of street racing! I disagree with one thing... since when is an import the "choice of modern racers" =) I guess you're right, and that's why GM killed the f-body. You fools were buying civics instead of camaros and trans ams.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Eat me.

Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
You fools were buying civics instead of camaros and trans ams.
insurance would have kicked my ass with a broom stick if i had a muscle car
Old 03-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Is it Friday yet?

Ghostrider is a jewel in the roughGhostrider is a jewel in the roughGhostrider is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by FumingSmoked
Fear the Encyclopedia Brown of Dragva
Dont write checks your ass cant cash!
Old 03-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

FumingSmoked is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stangsta
Dont write checks your ass cant cash!
bah I wrote a $14,000 check once. As for the beer, let me give you one, don't mind that I've popped the top and it's a little warm.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

DomesticRice has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by FumingSmoked
bah I wrote a $14,000 check once.
Are we suppose to be impressed?

Quick Reply: where the hell is everyone??????