Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.
View Poll Results: Wich car?
SRT-10 Viper (only comes as a vert)
50.00%
C6 Corvette Convertible
32.20%
Neither
17.80%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Which would you buy and why? C6 Corvette Convertible or SRT-10 Viper Convertible?

Old 04-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Re: Which would you buy and why? C6 Corvette Convertible or SRT-10 Viper Convertible

Actually... lots of guys but Motons or K&Ws on them etc.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:38 AM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!
Default Re: Which would you buy and why? C6 Corvette Convertible or SRT-10 Viper Convertible

i would go for a the viper, its not like you cant turn around and sell it and get the corvette
Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
No... after selling 997s the 996s are junk in comparison. Funny that people bitch about a Corvette interior... the 996 is no better, lots of hard plastics etc.
I have to disagree here. My old man has a 996tt. Almost everything in it is leather wrapped and the plastic tolerances are near zero. Even with the "leather everywear" package in the C6s, the fit and finish isn't nearly as high. It's not just about material, but how well that material fits.

I haven't driven a C6, but I'd argue that used 996tts might be the best performance car for the money you can buy right now. More performance can be had for the price, but I don't think there's a better "total package" out there for the money.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by Flite
I have to disagree here. My old man has a 996tt. Almost everything in it is leather wrapped and the plastic tolerances are near zero. Even with the "leather everywear" package in the C6s, the fit and finish isn't nearly as high. It's not just about material, but how well that material fits.

I haven't driven a C6, but I'd argue that used 996tts might be the best performance car for the money you can buy right now. More performance can be had for the price, but I don't think there's a better "total package" out there for the money.
Interesting... Porsche has an options list longer than anything I've ever seen and the TT normally comes w/ more stuff anyway. His may be one of the ones optioned out w/ leather wrapped everything which is something you can pretty much get... it's quite awesome. I guess I'm comparing it to the few 996 Carerras I sold... those sucked. I guess if you wrapped it all in plastic it might be different. I don't think I've ever been in a 996 TT though.

I still don't want to deal with the cost to service and maintain... plus I'm sure a 996TT cab is out of my $40ish k price range.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Educated Hater

Malfoy Malfoy Malfoy Malfoy Malfoy Malfoy Malfoy Malfoy Malfoy Malfoy Malfoy

Curious... have any of you actually driven a Viper or sat in one? Would you really want to DD one?
I'ved owned a C6 coupe, and rented a 04 viper mamba edition while in Fl for 3 days back in march. If the daily commute between your home and work doesn't involve much traffic, I'd say you can DD it. There were a few times I was stuck in gridlock (AND MOTHER 2#$@#$ TOLLS) and my left leg felt like it was getting raped.

Also rain + gridlock has to be the most unennjoyable time ever, I had to experience about a half hour of that while in Fl. You can't really touch the gas or the shit will wanna spin and with the top up it just feels like such a tight space and sad

I do feel like its a task putting the top up though because unless you are gumbly, you(or your copilot) have to essentially get out to push the button to release the top.

So to review my opinion:
If you have traffic and/or can't trust your coworkers and have to put the top up every place you go. DDing the viper might not be the best idea.

But for the times, you get to be in an open space, be it highway or just empty roads, I feel the price of admission is worth it. I got to enjoy a 120 mph chase of an aston martin in a viper. That sold me forever that it's a must buy.

Last edited by Malfoy; 04-30-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Cock of the Infinite

tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240

*cough* http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...3A1|240%3A1318

Old 04-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Red is the new green

NoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these parts

if your over 6'2" go with the vette, the windshield bar is right in front of your eyes in the viper, i am 6'3" and couldnt drive the thing although i made a point to slouch just so i could. Not to mention the shifter is like trying to drive a truck, probably a good 7 inch throw in there. the batteries die ALL the time in them. the rear end likes to blow out on hard launches, saw a couple customer cars come in needing a new diff. I used to work at davis-moore dodge chrysler and jeep out in kansas.

if you can afford the SRT-10 go with the Z-06 instead and use the money you save to turbo the bitch
Old 04-30-2009, 12:41 PM
HNIC

Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker.

Originally Posted by NoTorque
if your over 6'2" go with the vette, the windshield bar is right in front of your eyes in the viper, i am 6'3" and couldnt drive the thing although i made a point to slouch just so i could. Not to mention the shifter is like trying to drive a truck, probably a good 7 inch throw in there. the batteries die ALL the time in them. the rear end likes to blow out on hard launches, saw a couple customer cars come in needing a new diff. I used to work at davis-moore dodge chrysler and jeep out in kansas.

if you can afford the SRT-10 go with the Z-06 instead and use the money you save to turbo the bitch
Lol, our viper was abused to hell and back for almost 2 years and a lot of people on here can agree with that :P. Never had a signle issue. The battery will die if you leave the car sitting for a few weeks or so. I forgot that earlier.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Drink Up, Chumps

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

I guess I'm comparing it to the few 996 Carerras I sold... those sucked. I guess if you wrapped it all in plastic it might be different. I don't think I've ever been in a 996 TT though.
Two completely different cars.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

Hell no... I'd buy a Boxster S long before that.
Alright so get that then. I'd take either one over a non z06 vette. In that price range youre not gonna find a better pure sports car than a porsche, whether it be the boxster, cayman S, or 911. I'd throw the Lotus Exige in there too but I've never driven one. As a disclaimer, yes I've driven the c6, an older boxster S, and plenty of m roadsters. the c6 just doesnt give you the same feedback the bimmer and porsche do that I want in a sports car. plus from what I've gathered youve already owned 2 vettes, why not try something else? Personally I'd take a c5 z06 over a base c6 anyday, especially if it has a damn targa...

some other cars you can afford to...
maserati spyder gt
cadillac xlr-v

Quick Reply: Which would you buy and why? C6 Corvette Convertible or SRT-10 Viper Convertible?