Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.
View Poll Results: Wich car?
SRT-10 Viper (only comes as a vert)
50.00%
C6 Corvette Convertible
32.20%
Neither
17.80%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Which would you buy and why? C6 Corvette Convertible or SRT-10 Viper Convertible?

Old 04-30-2009, 01:17 PM
throwbAcura

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22
Default Re: Which would you buy and why? C6 Corvette Convertible or SRT-10 Viper Convertible

Originally Posted by Flite
tolerances... fit and finish... how well that material fits...
This is something Vette people can't seem to wrap their heads around. It's not even worth the effort.

Even the big decision makers can't figure it out.

"Hey! Let's wrap the same gapped plastic we've always used in expensive-ass leather and charge thousands for it! That'll shut everyone up."

Old 04-30-2009, 01:18 PM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22
Default Re: Which would you buy and why? C6 Corvette Convertible or SRT-10 Viper Convertible

Originally Posted by POS DSM
Lotus Exige
Brian is not an Exige-sized dude.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by tiki240
Dude... holy shit... I hate you. I could probably swint the car, but I doubt I could afford to actually own it
Originally Posted by NoTorque
if your over 6'2" go with the vette, the windshield bar is right in front of your eyes in the viper, i am 6'3" and couldnt drive the thing although i made a point to slouch just so i could. Not to mention the shifter is like trying to drive a truck, probably a good 7 inch throw in there. the batteries die ALL the time in them. the rear end likes to blow out on hard launches, saw a couple customer cars come in needing a new diff. I used to work at davis-moore dodge chrysler and jeep out in kansas.

if you can afford the SRT-10 go with the Z-06 instead and use the money you save to turbo the bitch
Yeah... I've had a bunch of seat time in a 2003 SRT-10 so I know how they are. I'd need a 2" seat lowering kit. It'd need to be a weekend toy.
Originally Posted by blah
Two completely different cars.
Hmmm... you're probably right, but not really a car I want just yet. After driving around in 997TTs a few times I don't want a 996, plus I doubt I could afford the cabriolet.
Originally Posted by POS DSM
Alright so get that then. I'd take either one over a non z06 vette. In that price range youre not gonna find a better pure sports car than a porsche, whether it be the boxster, cayman S, or 911. I'd throw the Lotus Exige in there too but I've never driven one. As a disclaimer, yes I've driven the c6, an older boxster S, and plenty of m roadsters. the c6 just doesnt give you the same feedback the bimmer and porsche do that I want in a sports car. plus from what I've gathered youve already owned 2 vettes, why not try something else? Personally I'd take a c5 z06 over a base c6 anyday, especially if it has a damn targa...

some other cars you can afford to...
maserati spyder gt
cadillac xlr-v
C6's handling is very dependent on which suspension package it has and which tires it has. A Z-51 car with nice non-runflates is a 100% different car than one with base suspension and runcraps on it.

The car must be a vert... I've had my C5Z for 6 years and after spenging so much time on it I'm just ready for a new style... I thought making it a targa and doing all of that stuff would make me want to keep it forever, but I've realized I want a nice vert I can DD. Not a hobby car anymore.

The car will never ever see any track use other than maybe a local auto-x so my priorities this go around are very different than when I bought my Z06 6 years ago.

I'm pretty much set on a C6 vert... probably the one in that picture, but the Viper idea is there... and now the F-355 idea is there
Old 04-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by dave22
This is something Vette people can't seem to wrap their heads around. It's not even worth the effort.

Even the big decision makers can't figure it out.

"Hey! Let's wrap the same gapped plastic we've always used in expensive-ass leather and charge thousands for it! That'll shut everyone up."

I get it... Dave I sold Porsches for almost a year... I've been in both back to back. The latest C6s are leaps/bounds above a C5. The fit/finish is geat and the 4LT package is very nice w/ the full leather. No it's not as nice as a Porsche, but it's damn close.

I agree that the C5's interior could use improvement, but I've always liked the layout and design... the center console area and radio/climate control is what really brings it down though. Plus, most C5 owners are incredibly tacky and do stupid shit to them so most of them you see have been gayed up.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:25 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Originally Posted by Cobra4B

I still don't want to deal with the cost to service and maintain... plus I'm sure a 996TT cab is out of my $40ish k price range.
Have you shopped around for a 996tt at all? You'd be amazed at the price they're going for. I think you'd be amazed at how reasonable service costs are as well. The engine is WAY overbuilt for the power they're putting down so they're mechanically reliable as hell. You can safely and reliably daily drive a 996tt without issue. They're comfortable semi-luxurious and smooth, but go like snot when you want them too. They seem expensive at first glance to maintain with stuff like $300-400 oil changes... until you look deeper and see that Porsche recommends something like 15k or 20k miles between changes.

Dad and I have always butted heads because he's a Porsche guy and I'm a Ferrari guy. I really didn't understand the appeal of a Porsche.... until I drove his. I think they're absolutely amazing cars now. I want one. When I pay the S2000 off, I'm going to look for one.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
and now the F-355 idea is there
that's my idea step back kneegrow

still.... do it up.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Fanboi

Originally Posted by Flite
Have you shopped around for a 996tt at all? You'd be amazed at the price they're going for. I think you'd be amazed at how reasonable service costs are as well. The engine is WAY overbuilt for the power they're putting down so they're mechanically reliable as hell. You can safely and reliably daily drive a 996tt without issue. They're comfortable semi-luxurious and smooth, but go like snot when you want them too. They seem expensive at first glance to maintain with stuff like $300-400 oil changes... until you look deeper and see that Porsche recommends something like 15k or 20k miles between changes.

Dad and I have always butted heads because he's a Porsche guy and I'm a Ferrari guy. I really didn't understand the appeal of a Porsche.... until I drove his. I think they're absolutely amazing cars now. I want one. When I pay the S2000 off, I'm going to look for one.
No... I haven't shopped them. How much are they going for?
Originally Posted by Jay
that's my idea step back kneegrow

still.... do it up.
Haha.... I can't afford a Ferrari yet. Plus a C6 is a better performer all around.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Registered member

Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol

Originally Posted by blah
C6

I could never live with a Viper. Outside of the flash, the C6 is a much better car.

(And please know it pains me to say that.)
yup ditto
Old 04-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

spitzbergen has disabled reputation

I've owned my GTS for almost 5 years and it always brings a smile to my face when I drive it. Only been in the shop once for a water pump. Drove it from Memphis to Norfolk and it was a lot easier then I thought. Car just cruised along. If your looking for a DD don't get it.
Buy the Vette.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:07 PM
DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok

Neither. It will be hard to get parts once both companies go under.

Quick Reply: Which would you buy and why? C6 Corvette Convertible or SRT-10 Viper Convertible?