Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

WTF Geico? Dropping the STI cause it is "too modded"???

Old 04-30-2010, 08:27 AM
round ii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF Geico? Dropping the STI cause it is "too modded"???

Originally Posted by Zero
But if she didn't say anything, and something happened, couldn't they refuse to pay out?
It is to my understanding (and previous experience) that you are insured... if something happens they must pay to return it to pre-incident condition, however after they can drop you.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

But if she didn't say anything, and something happened, couldn't they refuse to pay out?
Yes. If you don't inform your company of modifications they can refuse the claim. That's not to say you couldn't sue your insurance company to pay the claim, but that's a whole lot of hassle and usually the insurance company wins.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:36 AM
round ii

Black Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SignfcntOthr
Yes. If you don't inform your company of modifications they can refuse the claim. That's not to say you couldn't sue your insurance company to pay the claim, but that's a whole lot of hassle and usually the insurance company wins.
It appears I was wrong... if you (at fault) run into the back of someone and crack your omgjdmyay radiator, but have full coverage wouldn't your insurance company be responsible to pay for the replacement of the part?

Last edited by Black Nugget; 04-30-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

I just switched to Geico this month from Progressive. LOL. It was about $50 cheaper a month. Good thing I don't plan on modding my shitty Cobalt.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:42 AM
That's not gone well

Zero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud of

There are probably some companies who are more lenient than others. But I would assume most standard insurance contracts have some sort of clause where they're only covering you based on the assumption that the vehicle you're driving is what they think it is. (i.e. oem factory spec). A Lancer is cheaper to insure than an Evo (less expensive parts, less risky performance), but if you were to go crazy and do a 4g63 and AWD conversion in your Lancer to make it like an Evo, it's not what the car that the insurance company had in mind when they agreed to insure you so they're not obligated to insure it.

Er that was poorly written but it's the general idea.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Originally Posted by Black Nugget
It appears I was wrong... if you (at fault) run into the back of someone and crack your omgjdmyay radiator, but have full coverage wouldn't your insurance company be responsible to pay for the replacement of the part?
Again, it's all situation based. My guess is in that situation you would get an OEM replacement radiator if you didn't notify them of the mods. Reason being they are insuring your STi (for this example) and they know how much an STi goes for. Lets say you have $4000 in mods to and it's a total loss. They were only rating it as a stock STi because you didn't notify them of the mods. They based their premium around the stock STi's worth (i.e. $25,000). Why in the world would they pay out $29,000 w/o charging for it. Insurance is a business, and that's not a good business move. Again, the situation and company may vary the outcome.

There are probably some companies who are more lenient than others. But I would assume most standard insurance contracts have some sort of clause where they're only covering you based on the assumption that the vehicle you're driving is what they think it is. (i.e. oem factory spec). A Lancer is cheaper to insure than an Evo (less expensive parts, less risky performance), but if you were to go crazy and do a 4g63 and AWD conversion in your Lancer to make it like an Evo, it's not what the car that the insurance company had in mind when they agreed to insure you so they're not obligated to insure it.

Er that was poorly written but it's the general idea.
That's pretty much it.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:00 AM
formerly Black_Man

Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken

Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken
You might want to pm caleb (Mr.Projekt). He works for Geico and can fill you in about this. If I remember correctly, he once told me that Geico will only insure up to $10,000 worth of mods on any given car. I'm assuming that they perceived your mods to be greater than that amount. Considering your car in question is a brand new STI, I could see your modded total being pretty high up there.
Just sayin'.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:19 AM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

Originally Posted by b00st3db18a
They say with a "woman driving " an automobile you are 60% more likely to be involved in a accident.
Originally Posted by WTFisJDM
fixed.
Now it is fixed.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Impulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these parts

BTW 95% of all statistics are completely made up on the spot.

but seriously, I just got screwed on a claim by USAA because they have refused to even do a stated value insurance policy for my car. They want to insure it as a completely stock 93 325is, which is worth about 2500 bucks... a simple dent in the front end from somebody backing into me was almost enough to total my car. and even then they only covered less than 500 bucks of the repair, before deductible.

Try doing a stated value for your car instead of just an STI, quote out like a 40K insurance plan.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:50 PM
wharlgarbl

notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline

I've heard of Geico doing ridiculous things before to be honest. government is in the name.. rofl.. that's the issue right there

I have state farm and no worries so far. I always drop in on my insurance lady before I do something to my car to see if it'll be covered she says yep! no worries and away I go.