Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Anyone ever used one of those electric water pump drive motors?

Old 07-17-2006, 04:23 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RICE ETR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone ever used one of those electric water pump drive motors?

There's a certain black coupe that will be getting a turbo powered windsor if i have anything to do with it
Well it's about time!

SBF...my goal is to run 11.9x n/a on the stock long block and I've got just a couple tenths left to shave off and figured maybe an electric water pump might help knock off a couple hundreths.
How much does that car weigh?
Since that car sees the street, i wouldn't run the type that run off a belt/electric motor (I've always seen them on trailored cars...only used to cool the car down before/after the run), I'd run a real electric water pump.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Nic
Patron

Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
Well it's about time!
Wifey is making me wait until after December...

How much does that car weigh?
Since that car sees the street, i wouldn't run the type that run off a belt/electric motor (I've always seen them on trailored cars...only used to cool the car down before/after the run), I'd run a real electric water pump.
Never weighed it, but the only real weight that's been pulled out is the back seat, a/c, smog, and p/s pump. I'm sure it's still light after the carb swap. I haven't even begun stripping sound deadener, pulling the heater core, etc. but it'll happen as a last resort if I get real close. Having over 200k miles on the rings doesn't help...
Old 07-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

RICE ETR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nic
Having over 200k miles on the rings doesn't help...
yea...might need to freshen that thing up a bit I did a ghetto-fab $200 rebuild on my 302 before putting turbos on it..made a huge difference.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Banned

skott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DWLSRx8
electric fans work well for daily drivers... even in Florida summers. just might want to add a bit of water wetter
damn it i just read this post i menat to type in elec water pump not fan... 'Doh. lol but yeah fans are good too...
Old 07-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

reneponac will become famous soon enough

Just speaking out loud.....

From a physics standpoint, I don't understand how this would gain you anything on the street. It takes a certain amount of HP to drive a water pump. You can either drive it directly or you can put a bigger load on your altenator and still lose the same HP.......maybe more?

The only way I see this having any REAL advantage would be if you're running directly off of the battery, which will help at the track but not on the street.

Now there is a chance that if you go to a full aftermarket pump it may be a more efficient pump all in all and would gain you some HP.

Just my thoughts....
Old 07-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

reneponac will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by reneponac
Just speaking out loud.....

From a physics standpoint, I don't understand how this would gain you anything on the street. It takes a certain amount of HP to drive a water pump. You can either drive it directly or you can put a bigger load on your altenator and still lose the same HP.......maybe more?

The only way I see this having any REAL advantage would be if you're running directly off of the battery, which will help at the track but not on the street.

Now there is a chance that if you go to a full aftermarket pump it may be a more efficient pump all in all and would gain you some HP.

Just my thoughts....
Nevermind......it just dawned on me that it would help because you will be running the pump at a constant RPM instead of OVER driving it at high engine RPM. Probably cool better at high engine RPM too do to less cavitation.