Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Big smile coming out of Performance Autosport today

Old 04-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette
Default Re: Big smile coming out of Performance Autosport today

Originally Posted by The Wok
Tuned powerstroke = fast with lots of smoke.
Whats the deal with the diesels throwing out tons of smoke when they have the programmer on them? Diesels are one thing I really don't know much about.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:46 PM
yea, i'm that guy

fatboyee has disabled reputation

fuel = power. (period)

when i turn up the bully dog on the diesel it ups the timing and JACKS the fuel press at the pump up thereby creating more power.

and the end result is a smile on my face and a tight sphincter
Old 04-25-2007, 08:20 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

7.3L is much dirtier than the 6.0L. I'm pretty darn happy with the truck, just not with the cost of routine maintenance. Will hit up the International parts shop when I get back to Va. The beagle is not happy with the new truck as he can't see up over the dash like he could with the F150.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette 69vette

Originally Posted by fatboyee
fuel = power. (period)

when i turn up the bully dog on the diesel it ups the timing and JACKS the fuel press at the pump up thereby creating more power.

and the end result is a smile on my face and a tight sphincter
more fuel and timing obviously equal more power but how does that relate to pouring black smoke out the exhaust? Regular gas engines don't pour out black smoke...
Old 04-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

Originally Posted by 69vette
Regular gas engines don't pour out black smoke...
Follow around an untuned turbocharged Honda and tell me that.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Patron

Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune

I need a turbo diesel in my life
Old 04-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

Everyone does.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:43 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by 69vette
more fuel and timing obviously equal more power but how does that relate to pouring black smoke out the exhaust? Regular gas engines don't pour out black smoke...

a diesel does not control its power output by air limitation (ie, throttle body opening) it controls it with fuel. there is no throttle on a diesel that controls air (some of the early build 6.0's did, but it was there for another reason)

keep in mind a diesel is a compression burn engine, not spark ignited. in a heavy pull, until the combustion temps go up from the increase in fuel, it will smoke like a dirty whore. which is why most are set up with some form of smoke control load valve for the fueling.

a tuned or chipped diesel injects more fuel and causes more smoke, but what most people dont realize is more fuel=higher egt's opposite of a gas engine. shit, on some cat pistons (in a D8 dozer and such) the pistons are steel coated to last due to the high combustion temps.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:46 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by Floda$E-R
Everyone does.

nah...just the ones that know how they work and how to work them. there are few things that piss me off more than a showqueen powerstroke, and the owners bitching about every single little issue.

those owners are one of the main reasons the 6.0 was plagued with issues, along with techs that didnt understand the functionality of them and started throwing parts at them....

a powerstroke is made to be beat on. drive it like a gas engine and it will fail early.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by fc735
a diesel does not control its power output by air limitation (ie, throttle body opening) it controls it with fuel. there is no throttle on a diesel that controls air (some of the early build 6.0's did, but it was there for another reason)

keep in mind a diesel is a compression burn engine, not spark ignited. in a heavy pull, until the combustion temps go up from the increase in fuel, it will smoke like a dirty whore. which is why most are set up with some form of smoke control load valve for the fueling.

a tuned or chipped diesel injects more fuel and causes more smoke, but what most people dont realize is more fuel=higher egt's opposite of a gas engine. shit, on some cat pistons (in a D8 dozer and such) the pistons are steel coated to last due to the high combustion temps.

Thanks for the explination!

Quick Reply: Big smile coming out of Performance Autosport today