Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Can you get a ticket for running a red light?

Old 04-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GripSpec has disabled reputation
Default Re: Can you get a ticket for running a red light?

so cops here can't give a ticket for running a red light even if they thought they saw it happen? I had a state cop pull me over and lay into me for driving through an interestion under a yellow, telling me that i was going to kill some one and he was just waiting for the day that he'd show to the scene after i had killed someone by running a red (i have a completely clean record). then he threw my license at me and told me to get the hell out of here. I thought they had the right to give you a ticket for running a red if they wanted. thats interesting.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

I was kidding. Of course they can give you a ticket for running a red light. As they should.

Red means stop.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Nic
Patron

Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic

Front wheels have to be behind the white line when the light turns red in order for it to be considered running a red light. Then again, it's a judgement call and easily mistaken in a split second by the naked eye. If the light's yellow and you can stop safely, stop, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Registered member

GripSpec has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by FlodaSE-R
I was kidding. Of course they can give you a ticket for running a red light. As they should.

Red means stop.
oh . with the number of people who run red lights around here, mostly those that think they can squeeze through in the turn lane when they think the light is too short, i thought you must have been serious. i thought i was just out of the loop.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:39 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

§ 46.2-833. Traffic lights; penalty.

A. Signals by traffic lights shall be as follows:

Steady red indicates that moving traffic shall stop and remain stopped as long as the red signal is shown, except in the direction indicated by a lighted green arrow.

Green indicates the traffic shall move in the direction of the signal and remain in motion as long as the green signal is given, except that such traffic shall yield to other vehicles and pedestrians lawfully within the intersection.

Steady amber indicates that a change is about to be made in the direction of the moving of traffic. When the amber signal is shown, traffic which has not already entered the intersection, including the crosswalks, shall stop if it is not reasonably safe to continue, but traffic which has already entered the intersection shall continue to move until the intersection has been cleared. The amber signal is a warning that the steady red signal is imminent.

Flashing red indicates that traffic shall stop before entering an intersection.

Flashing amber indicates that traffic may proceed through the intersection or past such signal with reasonable care under the circumstances.

Violation of any provision of this section shall constitute a traffic infraction punishable by a fine of no more than $350.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:53 AM
NEO VVL N1 BITCHES

JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot

Originally Posted by Not Stock
When the amber signal is shown, traffic which has not already entered the intersection, including the crosswalks, shall stop if it is not reasonably safe to continue, but traffic which has already entered the intersection shall continue to move until the intersection has been cleared. .
they took my license for entering an intersection while the light was green then getting stuck there while it turned yellow and then finally getting out of the intersection as it was turning red. 3 cars were behind me but they didnt get pulled. hence why i hate cops and hope they die a slow painful death.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Banned

LOCO is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjkamikaze
they took my license for entering an intersection while the light was green then getting stuck there while it turned yellow and then finally getting out of the intersection as it was turning red. 3 cars were behind me but they didnt get pulled. hence why i hate cops and hope they die a slow painful death.
amen
Old 04-08-2006, 12:41 PM
DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok

Is this thread serious?
Old 04-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Owe 'bama Care

BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT BluestedSRT

My reply to this thread is this....

This is Virginia you can get a ticket for not having both hands on the steering wheel.

Welcome to the Commonwealth
Old 04-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Patron

ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz

This is old, but I figured I'd just chime in as far as those cameras go. They are not "red light cameras" they are most likely traffic cameras (we have a ton up here). I would say they are sensors, but I've been in intersections up here before and the light didn't change when emergency vehicles came to it, so I can't say that's what they are. In Hampton Roads I can recall 3 main/very busy intersections that had "red light cameras" and all 3 of them are now covered up because they were causing accidents (read: rearending). I've seen them work they don't fire off as soon as the light turns red you have to run the shit out of it for it to catch you.

My ex-sister-in-law got a ticket for it. It doesn't go on your record, but you do have to pay it. Reason for it not going on your record of course is that there's no way to prove that YOU (the owner of the vehicle) was driving that car at that time. I believe they also send the picture of your license plate with the ticket. I believe it was $50. I seriously doubt if you guys don't have them up there by now you're ever gonna get them. They weren't even in operation for 6 months here before they were covered up.

Just so you know this is a "red light camera". Very different looking and very noticable.

Last edited by ritz; 04-11-2006 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Can you get a ticket for running a red light?