Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

major laptop problems...help!

Old 02-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue
Default major laptop problems...help!

Alright guys i got a sony viao pcg-grz530 from my friend for free. It had a bad dc charger jack on the motherboard and needed a whole new charger so I pulled the whole laptop apart and soldered in a new jack and bought a new charger for it. After putting it back together I was able to charge it fine, but now there is some weird problem where i cant turn it on using the power button. I pulled the top panel off where the button is and pulled the power button ribbon cable out and then put it back in. The computer then turned on. Whats strange is that everytime I tried closing the panel it would turn off on me. Then i'd pull it off and it would randomly start back up or i would need to unplug and plug the cable back up again.

Eventually the cable just got screwed up all together from me unplugging it so many times and it wouldn't turn on at all. I ordered a new ribbon cable($43 shipped ) and it is still doing the same thing, but at least starts up again. I've taken it to a bunch of different places and nobody seems to know what the hell is going on. It seems like when I bring the board near the computer something shorts out and it acts funny. Any ideas?
Old 02-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

DSM8 U has disabled reputation
Default Re: major laptop problems...help!

call sony
Old 02-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

I did and they say they cant help me without looking at it which costs $100 just to look at and i dont feel like spending that on an old laptop that i'm not even sure if it has any other problems or not.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Banned

recz0r is an unknown quantity at this point

ok i think from the way you describe it, it may be there are these brass grounds that are supposed to seperate the mobo from the base of the comp, check and see that all of them are there, that may be a reason, check to make sure the mobo isnt touching any other metal parts that arent on the mobo its self. and sony wont cover it anymore even if it had a warranty you breached it when you took it apart.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

shit i dont remember any brass grounds lol. One thing...i taped up the metal piece on the bottom of the speaker and that made it so i was able to shut the panel without turning the comp off. Now i just have a problem where it will automatically turn itself on as soon as i plug in the charger which i may be able to live with.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Banned

recz0r is an unknown quantity at this point

they look like screws, they screw into a metal bracket on the bottom side of the case, then you screw the mobo into them. if you half assed it and its working that way id leave it, better to have it working somewhat then not at all.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:23 PM
apex-digital.net

slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6

Hey this is Paul chris's friend, sorry my friend couldnt help you. Ill be needing a tune within the the next week or so tho
Old 02-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by recz0r
they look like screws, they screw into a metal bracket on the bottom side of the case, then you screw the mobo into them. if you half assed it and its working that way id leave it, better to have it working somewhat then not at all.
I think i know what you are talking about. I had some little things like that, but i believe they actually went on top of the mobo and thats where i put them back at. Who knows...i'm just gonna leave it half assed i think haha.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slowr6
Hey this is Paul chris's friend, sorry my friend couldnt help you. Ill be needing a tune within the the next week or so tho
Hey paul thanks a lot for helping me look into it. I called sony like your friend said and they say its gonna cost $100 to send back so i guess i can forget that lol. Hit me up about the tune when the time comes though...hopefully i'll have the new laptop working.