Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Moving to the area.....lots of questions

Old 12-18-2006, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mysteryguest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving to the area.....lots of questions

In the end, it looks like the total cost of living will be less up there. Insurance costs are out of control in Florida. Especially with home insurance after all the hurricanes we went through the pst couple years. Property taxes are much higher than what I saw on Powhatan's website for equally assessed homes. After I started adding it all up, things look much better.

I am going to miss drag racing all year round though. I'll have to upload some pics of the southern-most dragstrip in the continental US from last weekend.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Banned

skott is an unknown quantity at this point

honestly budd. keep ur fl id and keep your ride registered in fl. just have you mail and ish fowarded up to your addy up here. its a lot easier that way. been thinking about doing the same w/ my 240.
~skott

< was living in the clearwater / Larghetto area.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

mAydAy is an unknown quantity at this point

On the Suburban for tint, any windows besides the front windows and windshield can be as dark as you want. The front windows can be 50% and the windshield can't be tinted. And don't worry about the exhaust, my Suburban is pretty loud (Used to be louder when it was straightpiped) and I've never had an issue with it in the past few years, nor did I with my V8 Grand Cherokee with an exhaust. They only target imports and idiots on the exhaust for the most part. The emissions inspection is visual, just slap some metalcore racecats on it (They're only $100/per on eBay these days, and they're nice and flow like hell), so long as you're not in Northern VA it'll never see an actual emissions sniffer test.

You can get antique tags for the '65, with those it doesn't really have to pass anything.

I don't see why a carb'd mustang wouldn't fly, I'd imagine someone somewhere would inspect it. Just take it to places, ask people if it'll pass inspection but don't authorize them to do an inspection unless they say yes, that way you can't get a fail sticker on it (Because with one of those, whoever inspects it really has to tear it apart).

Last edited by mAydAy; 12-20-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

mysteryguest is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DWLSRx8
honestly budd. keep ur fl id and keep your ride registered in fl. just have you mail and ish fowarded up to your addy up here. its a lot easier that way. been thinking about doing the same w/ my 240.
~skott

< was living in the clearwater / Larghetto area.
I thought about keeping the I.D. and using a family member's address here in Florida. I cannot do that since my job in Richmond requires me to have a Va license.

Oh well, I'll go with mAydAy on this and roll with it. I was thinking about chopping a cat in half and welding around the pipe on the truck. Instead, I'll check out the high flow cats he spoke of. With the tint I just have to get the front windows on the Suburban changed to 50% and my VW 20% replaced with the light stuff, 50%/35%. No big deal.
I'm looking forward to drag racing in Virginia.

I think I found my house in Powhatan. Gonna come up and look at it in two weeks. Never been there, can't wait to see hills and mud again.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:50 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Tint is 35 on sides, 50 in back.

Cat is a "presence" test as there are no emissions test here. Get 'em and gut 'em (but keep in mind altering emissions equip is a felony nationwide). I got mine direct from a distributor for literally pennies on the dollar.

Transfer ownership of the vehicle to your parents before moving. That way you can keep it registered in FL and still get your VA driver's license.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R

Originally Posted by Not Stock
Tint is 35 on sides, 50 in back.
it's 50 for driver/front passenger windows and 35 for rear windows.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:55 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Originally Posted by jentegraGS-R
it's 50 for driver/front passenger windows and 35 for rear windows.
Good catch, my bad.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Ich liebe Bier

BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin

Originally Posted by mysteryguest
Moving to the Richmond area from Ft. Myers, FL in a few weeks and have some questions.

What is the deal with the inspections? Will I have trouble getting a 1993 Suburban with a fresh 496 through? Still fuel injected with all emission equipment other than the cat.
Do they inspect older cars, say a 1965 model?
Are the cops strict with loud exhaust and obvious barely street legal cars on the street?
How strict are they with tinted windows? (A must in Florida).

Is Powhatan too far from the action to have any fun?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to meeting new people.
Inspections usually depend on where you live. if you know someone you can usually get away with stuff. VA state cops are the ones you have to watch out for. they're everywhere, and will pull you for anything. Powhatan isnt a bad area and very nice if you ask me. a lot of nice houses and subdivisions going up. I've wired a few of the places up there. as long as your tint is of legal limit you will be fine. Powhatan isnt too far from the action..
Old 12-23-2006, 12:54 PM
i <3 my neon

TheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the rough

Tinted windows and Va...they dont get along
Old 12-24-2006, 12:43 PM

MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN

for the most part cops won't mess with you for the exhaust unless your either being stupid or they are just having a bad day lol. but ever since my first exhaust ticket i've been driving like i have since and i havn't been messed with since

Quick Reply: Moving to the area.....lots of questions