Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Performance Shop Question

Old 06-05-2006, 05:03 AM
Settled..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN
Default Performance Shop Question

How many people on here really think Richmond needs a good shop that sell, installs, and builds cars? I am talking from Domestic to Foreign and everything in between?
Old 06-05-2006, 05:13 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow
Default Re: Performance Shop Question

I think we need a shop that does hi performance shop that does turbo installs, blowers, N2O, engine builds, and tuning, plus set up drag cars. Plus sells performance parts at a decent price in Richmond.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:36 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

The profit margins are on the accessories, not the go-fast parts which has always been the problem. Online ordering of parts that are not needed immediately allows cheapskates to shop around. I prefer to buy from local vendors even if it's a bit more because of the service, knowledge, and supporting local business owners.

The Richmond market doesn't have much in the way of non-accessory retail sales. Racing shops in this area tend to be a progression of one guy's drag racing hobby out of a garage into an off-site garage that has tax benefits and can order stuff as a vendor. That's all well and great, but the labor pool is limited for mechanics willing to do quality work on cars other than their own which would be supported by any guarantee and insurance bonds.

If you wanted to start up your own shop, best route would probably to get a metal frame building on the southside with two lifts then rent out space for people to work on their cars when you're not working on your own. There is a need for people to use a lift in this area and I'm sure they won't mind bringing their own tools if they can lock them up on site. Charge a daily (with minimum) and weekly rate and I think you're gonna find a good response. Problem is insurance even with liability waivers.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:52 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

That's fine and dandy but what about people who buy performance parts don't really need tech advice say on a driveshaft, wheels, mufflers and stuff like that. More so when they can be had cheaper. Why pay more for something local on a part when elsewhere it is cheaper. Why not earn that business locally with a little cheaper of a price?
Old 06-05-2006, 06:12 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Retail space and knowlegeable sales staff cost money. It's called "overhead" and needs to be factored into a price. To get a lower price, distributors buy in bulk and reduce overhead as much as possible. Summit operates like a shipping warehouse to keep their prices low.

If you know the part you want, can wait, and are just looking for the absolute lowest price, you're probably not going to go to the neighborhood shop with retail space and knowlegeable sales staff. People like myself don't mind paying a premium for the reasons I stated before. As an example, it's why people come from all over to Performance Autosport. They aren't necessarily going there for a bolt-on or a muffler. They go there for Mark's knowledge and premium vehicles, Don's installs, and Kevin's dyno.

There are plenty of local community colleges offering beginner business courses if you are interested in learning about how to run a successful local company.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:19 AM
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

This is my opinion, and only my opinion...

Shops that tend to spread themselves out too thin end up not being as professional as those that find their niche and stick with it. Performance Autosport knows Mustangs. More specifically, road racing Mustangs.

Sucessful businesses usually have a certain niche. Whether it be only Hondas, only drag racing, only whatever...thats how you become known for what you do...because you do it well. If someone has a DSM or STi usually they would head to DeltaV or Mach V before calling us. Why? Because they are known for doing good work on those types of vehicles. If someone has a Honda, you send them to Honda guys, if someone wants to become an NASA American Iron Champion, they come to us
Old 06-05-2006, 07:22 AM
Slow as Shit

Makes alot of sense Kevin. I wouldnt mind seeing a shop that can to turbo builds, engines builds, blowers, etc for Mustangs and F-Bodies.

Last edited by Woodrow; 06-05-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

I wouldnt either to be perfectly honest. I actually need to get in touch with some RPM guys to see who I should be recommending for LS1 guys that stop by wanting things done.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Slow as Shit

http://www.bandlracing.com/ thats what some recommend in VA..757 area. Not sure which of our RPM guys use them but I know a few in the area that do. Larry does great work and knows what it takes to run 10's with a LS1 na

Last edited by Woodrow; 06-05-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

I agree with Kevin. This stuff needs to be more specialized. When a particular shop starts doing work on many different kinds of cars they just arent going to be able to have the specialized knowledge needed for each individual car and things will start to get done half assed.

Quick Reply: Performance Shop Question