Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Wanted: E-85

Old 04-27-2006, 05:33 AM
the baddest assed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE
Default Re: Wanted: E-85

-do you think any current intank pumps spark? i dont
-ethanol is good in lines that gas is good in.. this is not true for Methanol, in fact many stations are allready selling you gas with up to 15% ethanol in it
good idea to replace filter after first couple tanks, ethanol will do the same
-as a fuel system cleaner and break free any deposits or varnish and be caught in the filter
-the fueling needs are increased 25%, that does not mean anything HAS to be changed, but it should be monitored first tank for sure, another regulator is definitely not required, higher flow pump and injectors is likely for high performance.
-no sensors will be harmed or go wacky, 02 sensors will initially report lean during start up and cruise (because you arent going to floor it right away) allowing the stock ecm to attempt to learn to add fuel as needed. If the ecm cannot cover for the change on its own then it should be retuned. you would want to to this anyway to increase the spark advance and take advantage of the new fount octane.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:25 AM
WIKAP WIKAP PLBTTTTT

eeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
-do you think any current intank pumps spark? i dont
-ethanol is good in lines that gas is good in.. this is not true for Methanol, in fact many stations are allready selling you gas with up to 15% ethanol in it
good idea to replace filter after first couple tanks, ethanol will do the same
-as a fuel system cleaner and break free any deposits or varnish and be caught in the filter
-the fueling needs are increased 25%, that does not mean anything HAS to be changed, but it should be monitored first tank for sure, another regulator is definitely not required, higher flow pump and injectors is likely for high performance.
-no sensors will be harmed or go wacky, 02 sensors will initially report lean during start up and cruise (because you arent going to floor it right away) allowing the stock ecm to attempt to learn to add fuel as needed. If the ecm cannot cover for the change on its own then it should be retuned. you would want to to this anyway to increase the spark advance and take advantage of the new fount octane.
In practice, it seems the worries of E85 being dangerously corrosive in today's car appears to be a myth. However, as you stated, fuel needs will increase in every application. So, can a factory stock car (non FFV) handle this and enrich the mixture w/o a re-tune? Maybe not. Seems like a big risk running lean, especially cars with coil-packs (distributor-less ignition). The WRX in the link I posted had success at 1:3 mix of E85 to prem gasoline. Above that, he threw a CEL.

I'm certainly not against E85. The opportunity to have cheap "race gas" on the daily is amazing but, people need to be cautious about dumping a 100% mix in and flogging the car w/o any changes.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

Running this fuel will require a BIG change in the tune. I hope nobody goes and just throws some in their tank and starts ragging on the car because it will require quite a bit more fuel than you would be using with normal gas.

Does anybody know what the deal is with the new 10% ethanol mix all the gas stations are making us use now? I know gas already has a small percentage of ethanol in it, but how much did it have in it before exactly? I tested this on 2 cars yesterday and noticed no noticable increase in afr's running the new 10% ethanol mix like I expected.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Body In Trunk.

RCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond repute

i havent noticed any change on mine. i have my car allready set up with e85 in mind. i cant wait
Old 04-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

Originally Posted by AL-David
i havent noticed any change on mine. i have my car allready set up with e85 in mind. i cant wait
haha yea i was worried i'd be retuning a lot of cars with that new gas mix they are putting out. I may have to try this E85 sometime myself if they start selling it readily available.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

RICE ETR is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm certainly not against E85. The opportunity to have cheap "race gas" on the daily is amazing but, people need to be cautious about dumping a 100% mix in and flogging the car w/o any changes.
Agreed.

I still can't wait for this stuff....I'm selling my meth kit once we get a pump close to here
Old 04-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Body In Trunk.

RCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sohc_mshue
haha yea i was worried i'd be retuning a lot of cars with that new gas mix they are putting out. I may have to try this E85 sometime myself if they start selling it readily available.
the e85 will definately require a retune. i have friends in areas that have it and they just jack the fuel pressure up to compensate for the richer mix needed. i dunno if id be that ghetto. I chose the injectors i have oversize for my power needs so that when e85 came i would be ready for it.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Yea E85 definately needs quite a retune, but I was wondering about the stuff they are selling right now at the pumps with the 10% in it. I suppose if there was already a percentage of ethanol in there then thats why we aren't seeing any significant afr change.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Not sure if everyone is able to read this thread. It's a huge discussion about a friend of many of ours in California who added E85 into his 11 second DSM.

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showth...&highlight=e85
Old 04-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

blazinsi will become famous soon enough

Here is a little info

http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/e85t.../e85_fuel.html

Quick Reply: Wanted: E-85