Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Where to find meth?

Old 07-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost
Default Re: Where to find meth?

Alright, I tune from several laptops, and the only meth log I have on this one was the very first test... It only got better I could go dig up my USB key but these logs clearly illustrate the cooling effect of the meth on very hot days...

Look to the left in the second graph area from the top for Intake Air Temperature (IAT) on the two pics... The methanol immeadiately made an -86degF difference. The first graph shows IATs after a few gears with no meth, the second is the first pull ever made on the meth. If you know what you are looking at you will see the fuel value he is afforded by the meth as well... Look at the difference in timing... that's real power by itself.

WITH METH

Last edited by Frost; 07-17-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

RICE ETR is an unknown quantity at this point

[quoute]well thanks for the advice. the shitty thing is when the meth starts boiling bad things start to happen, the pumps start to fail because of the air getting in the system, and sice SMC doesnt come with a failsafe on there kits yet i am going to add atleast a little water. Just to be safe.
[/quote]

I am running the shurflo pump, so running dry does not hurt it...how close is the tank to anything putting out heat?
Either way, i understand your dilemma...better be safe than sorry.

Yeah water is so awful to inject because its got almost twice the latent heat of absorption as meth
It's not awful, just not as much power as straight meth...that's been proven...and i can tell in my own car as well between the two...big difference.
Also in my case, i have maxed out my fuel system so i need all the fuel i can get. I am running two nozzles (675ml & 225ml) at 220psi coming on full blast at around 3psi.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:23 AM
DEAD OR ALIVE

azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th

damn those logs look really familure hmmmmmmmmmmmm..... and you asked were to get meth i got mine at performance dynamics for 29.99 in a big ass 5 gallon jug thats easy to reuse i just recomend a funnel and something to pore it in like a milk jug then into ur meth tank a whole lot easier than standing above ur car and pore it w/o spilling..i just run straight meth and the kit dint come on 1 pull on the dyno next it did and theres a huge rwhp gain..OOOOOOOOOO and pay absolutly no attention to the mph in the graphs because i wasnt on a main road like staples mill or 295 i was in my back yard

Last edited by azzbustin30th; 07-18-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Damn street racers

trbowrx has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by trbowrx
[quoute]well thanks for the advice. the shitty thing is when the meth starts boiling bad things start to happen, the pumps start to fail because of the air getting in the system, and sice SMC doesnt come with a failsafe on there kits yet i am going to add atleast a little water. Just to be safe.
Originally Posted by RICE ETR
[quoute]I am running the shurflo pump, so running dry does not hurt it...how close is the tank to anything putting out heat?
Either way, i understand your dilemma...better be safe than sorry.
well from the pictures i posted of the kit you can see that the tank is located less than a foot away from my engine. atleast it isnt right next to the turbo but i can tell you one thing it gets real hot in there. i am going to play around with the kit and find out the least amount of water that i can run and still be kinda safe! haha well thanks for all the good input guys, keep it coming it is nice to see a actual disscusion on central that doesnt involve a bunch of B.S.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

1slocolt has disabled reputation

It is widely known that water has a latent heat of evaporation of 2260 joules/gram. Methanol runs around 1097 joules/gram. Water basically has twice the heat absorption energy as methanol. I'm not tryin to act like I know everything, I just know a thing or two about fuel additives, I'm also a physics major, which doesn't say much, but it helps me understand things to a certain degree. Here is a quick site I have used a few times in regards to fuel additives: http://www.flyhi.org.il/fuel.htm
Old 07-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Damn street racers

Originally Posted by 1slocolt
It is widely known that water has a latent heat of evaporation of 2260 joules/gram. Methanol runs around 1097 joules/gram. Water basically has twice the heat absorption energy as methanol. I'm not tryin to act like I know everything, I just know a thing or two about fuel additives, I'm also a physics major, which doesn't say much, but it helps me understand things to a certain degree. Here is a quick site I have used a few times in regards to fuel additives: http://www.flyhi.org.il/fuel.htm
thanks for the help!!
Old 07-19-2006, 03:22 AM
Registered Member

Nice.... It's good to see the science here.

Now... as it applies to my original point... the HP gained by the heat displacement of water cannot even begin to approach the gains that can be had through just timing alone on meth. With the very high octane equivalency, more boost is a no-brainer as well.

I personally just have no intention of dumping a substance with no fuel value into my engine, especially with such a viable alternative.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

1slocolt has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Frost
Nice.... It's good to see the science here.

Now... as it applies to my original point... the HP gained by the heat displacement of water cannot even begin to approach the gains that can be had through just timing alone on meth. With the very high octane equivalency, more boost is a no-brainer as well.

I personally just have no intention of dumping a substance with no fuel value into my engine, especially with such a viable alternative.
You are totally right that the HP gain with water is not gonna be nearly as high as a timing or boost increase using meth. Meth is basically the next best intercooler you can inject next to water, so it has great intercooler abilities, plus its octane increase functions. Thing about meth is that its a little unstable, meaning it does have the ability to preignite somewhat easily. Preignition is not the same as detonation/knock BTW, so diluting the meth with water kinda curbs its preignition point and also helps absorb a little bit more heat. Water also helps steam clean the upperend of your longblock believe it or not. These are just some of the reasons companies such as coolingmist highly recommend a water/meth mixture. Personally, if you have great tuning ability such as a standalone or a good injection controller that can progressively inject the meth then you should be fine. But injecting a lot of meth is also very inconsistent among changing load points.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Damn street racers

You are totally right that the HP gain with water is not gonna be nearly as high as a timing or boost increase using meth. Meth is basically the next best intercooler you can inject next to water, so it has great intercooler abilities, plus its octane increase functions. Thing about meth is that its a little unstable, meaning it does have the ability to preignite somewhat easily. Preignition is not the same as detonation/knock BTW, so diluting the meth with water kinda curbs its preignition point and also helps absorb a little bit more heat. Water also helps steam clean the upperend of your longblock believe it or not. These are just some of the reasons companies such as coolingmist highly recommend a water/meth mixture. Personally, if you have great tuning ability such as a standalone or a good injection controller that can progressively inject the meth then you should be fine. But injecting a lot of meth is also very inconsistent among changing load points.
good point, well either way i am going to be adding atleast a little water into the mix!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

....These are just some of the reasons companies such as coolingmist highly recommend a water/meth mixture....

MIGHTYMOUSE had a speculation based on a conversation with, I believe, Snow Methanol and the biggest reason seemed to be an attempt to minimize liability... In an accident, or other shitty scenario, there is the potential to have a highly flammable substance in a tank not designed or approved for fuel, since most use the washer tank.

Quick Reply: Where to find meth?