Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

1987 Honda XL250R Overhaul -- Pics Galore --- Minimalist's Garage

Old 12-05-2010, 03:44 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WheelPowerRacin has disabled reputation
Default Re: 1987 Honda XL250R Overhaul -- Pics Galore --- Minimalist's Garage

Is there a similiar set of brackets on the front downtube? Been years since I worked on one of these, but I seem to remember that one of these XL/XR Hondas had similiar brackets on the front and rear, and although they looked the same they were not. If they got mixed up they would not work. Or was it that the left and right side bracket were slightly different?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:54 AM
E for Engourged.

4BangerCivic has disabled reputation

There are a few sets of brackets of this similar 3-hole triangular-shape. Two full sets, which go on the lower/front (in front of those cooling fins), and the othe set attaches the cylinder head cover to the cross bar. Aside from those two SETS of brackets, I have one INDIVIDUAL bracket. THis individual bracket is the only one that really fits in that back spot (visible in pic below, on back/right) - aside from that one misaligned hole.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:56 AM
E for Engourged.

Got it figured out. When my girl woke up i had her try and get the bitch in while I wriggled the engine around in the frame (after removing all brackets and loosening all through-bolts (actually went as far as to remove hte lower/rear throughbolt)
Old 12-05-2010, 01:06 PM
E for Engourged.

the caps that cover the adjustment holes for each valve are gtiving me a FUCKTON of trouble. it's as if they have become petrified like a piece of driftwood. Of course the cover isn't installed, so its not anchored, so i'm having a terribly difficult time anchoring it so i can get enough leverage to loosen these bitches.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:33 PM
E for Engourged.

So, my girl was over here eatin dinner and I decided to have her handle the wrench while I held the cover tightly. 3/4 of them were decent, not too difficult. The last one took every ounce of strength both of us had. FInally got it though. Now, new development:

So the directions tell me to use rubberbands to hold the sub-rocker up while I install hte cover -- excpet i wasn't sure what part of that rockerarm assembly was the sub-rocker. So I lifted the cover in the air above my head to inspect the various parts (couldn't flip it upside-down, because I have all the bolts resting in their proper holes). While holding it above my head, I realize that ONE of hte sub-rocker arms will not support itself like the rest will. The others are snug against the top portion of the assembly (sorry, no proper terminology). They all have the same range of motion as the one that is dangling - except they must be moved into that position, whereas this one is simply hanging limp.

This seems unnatural. I'm wondering if it is a problem.

If it is a problem, would the symptoms of it likely be a knock/tick that varies with RPMs? Because that was the original problem with the bike, the reason the PO removed the engine (and subsequently stopped working on it). Never really found anything in there that would cause a knock, aside from that oil galley cap that had fallen out of the countershaft.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-06-2010, 03:27 AM
Carolina Kracker

quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26

that one that is hanging is that decompression it looks like. is there one on the other side just like it? the rockers are the 4 flat tabs in the center. the noise he most likely heard was the valves out of adjustment. that type of set up, if not adjusted correctly will raise hell and sound like the motor is about to come apart. on the nuts that covered the adjusters, you did that the hard way. those 4 nuts suck ass and usually end up breaking or rounding off. you got lucky.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:59 AM
E for Engourged.

Phew. Glad I managed not to fuck myself there. They definitely started to round off as my socket kept slipping off (no clearance on those bitches), but we got 'em off eventually.

There is another sub-rocker arm on the other side, but its snug against the rocker arm itself -- not hanging freely like the one i'm worried about (top/left in pic, obviously). here's a pretty good picture to show whats goin on:

Old 12-06-2010, 05:09 AM
Carolina Kracker

quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26

move both of them. i mean they are suppose to move. as long as its not sloppy i would let it roll. grab the end of it and see if it will twist, same motion you would use if you were using on a ratchet. side to side type motion. they should rotate on the shaft freely. looks fine in the pic.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:10 AM
E for Engourged.

This is what a guy from advrider said:

Unless you can grab a hold of the dangler and move it up and down (as it's pictured) and feel slop, don't be concerned with it. I've built several of these RFVC engines (mainly 600s) and there always seems to be a dangler or two.
Is slop a looseness? Like, I can move it all around (up/down/side/side) really easily?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:13 AM
Carolina Kracker

Originally Posted by 4BangerCivic
This is what a guy from advrider said:

Is slop a looseness? Like, I can move it all around (up/down/side/side) really easily?
no, that is normal. you would feel it clunk on the shaf. you know how to arm wrestle correct? try to move that rocker in the same motion. you should slide side to side on the shaft and the rocker should go up and down the arc that it is suppose to travel. if you grab the tip and can push it in and out (lay the cover top down and push and pull the rocker) then its sounds worn. hard to describe in type.