Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

1987 Honda XL250R Overhaul -- Pics Galore --- Minimalist's Garage

Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 PM
E for Engourged.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4BangerCivic has disabled reputation
Default Re: 1987 Honda XL250R Overhaul -- Pics Galore --- Minimalist's Garage

Do you see the part anywhere on this schematic? I'm tryin to find out if i can get a replacement.

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche...1987&fveh=4170
Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 PM
E for Engourged.

OK so I figured some stuff out. The parts I have are #28,27,26,25,24 on the parts schematic below: Now, I can't figure out in what order they go in, or if i have all the parts, or which part is broken, or what part is "left in the body" as you said. I have figured out that the parts go on the golden shaft (choke valve) in picture #2 below. Which part of mine is fux0red? Do I have the requisite materials to fix this? What else do i need to do?

If you click on this link I think #20 is the complete set of all the parts involved in this valve setup -- let me know if i'm right.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 AM
E for Engourged.

OK so i got everytihng back out. The conversation has continued a little more, but i dont feel like surmizing it. Here's the link to the relevant page on my ADVrider thread. Just trying ot figure out which piece to order now - aside from #20 in the above link.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...570373&page=52
Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Band

paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket

Originally Posted by 4BangerCivic
OK so i got everytihng back out. The conversation has continued a little more, but i dont feel like surmizing it. Here's the link to the relevant page on my ADVrider thread. Just trying ot figure out which piece to order now - aside from #20 in the above link.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...570373&page=52
if you got everything back out and the carbs are off again. you should totally clean those mofo's before remounting.

it goes a lot faster the 2nd - 11th times you remount them.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:06 AM
E for Engourged.

I plan on it. I've been told to open up the float bowls and clean everything inside. Which is easy enough, considering there are just 4 phillips head screws holding them on ---- except these phillips head screws are TERRIBLE. They don't budge, at all, no matter which length or type (#2 iswhat i should be using) screwdriver i use, whether its a screwdriver itself or a phillips head bit on a ratchet. The screws are stripping away quickly. Like screwing into chocolate.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Band

paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket

I plan on it. I've been told to open up the float bowls and clean everything inside. Which is easy enough, considering there are just 4 phillips head screws holding them on ---- except these phillips head screws are TERRIBLE. They don't budge, at all, no matter which length or type (#2 iswhat i should be using) screwdriver i use, whether its a screwdriver itself or a phillips head bit on a ratchet. The screws are stripping away quickly. Like screwing into chocolate.
well first spray the fuck out of them with pb blaster.

actually if they're THAT bad... buy a carb rebuild kit from honda. you're prob gonna need new gaskets and possibly new jets after you fuck them up while trying to remove them.

but yea...
1) remove the carbs. yes it sucks, but trust me, you're gonna wind up doing it anyway. I guarantee this thing won't start as-is.
2) lots of pb blaster, multiple applications to all stuck screws
3) if the screwdriver seems sketch... use an impact driver to back it out. if you don't have one, try vice grips.
4) there's a lot of different techniques to cleaning carbs: pickling vinegar, electrolysis, carb cleaner (ironically least effective), etc... let me know when you decide to clean them and i'll explain your options.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:04 PM
E for Engourged.

got an angle grinder - going to cut slits in these screws to break 'em loose and let me get a flathead in there. Stupid Japanese screws. going to replace w/ metric
Old 02-12-2011, 02:44 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

you don't have to separate the carbs to clean them, just remove the float bowls, take out the jets, and make sure they are clean, and make sure the float needle and seat are clean, and the float doesn't bind in it's travel. If the pilot (idle) jets are clogged and the choke is inop, you'll never get it to start.

as far as the broken choke plunger, it's not the end of the world. They are not under any real torque, so you could probably use a pick to unscrew whats left of the retainer, and then just replace the choke plunger assembly.

BTW, carb screws are always soft, I usually remove them with an impact driver (looks like a screwdriver, but when you hit it with a mallet it breaks the screws free) to avoid stripping them.

I live in Va Beach, and I'd be happy to lend a hand, but it'd have to be on a weekend.

And no, I didn't read the original reply to my post, not even gonna ask what it said, lol. No worries. Keep your head up, you're REAL close to the end of the project, don't give up. From what I can see, you just have a few minor (and I do mean minor) hiccups to address, and you'll be good to go.

*edit- if it's just the retainer that is broken, I may have one you can have, they're pretty generic, meaning the same part is used on ALOT of bikes, and I've got a couple sets of old carbs in my closet.

Last edited by skr00zloose; 02-12-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:54 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

OK so I figured some stuff out. The parts I have are #28,27,26,25,24 on the parts schematic below: Now, I can't figure out in what order they go in, or if i have all the parts, or which part is broken, or what part is "left in the body" as you said. I have figured out that the parts go on the golden shaft (choke valve) in picture #2 below. Which part of mine is fux0red? Do I have the requisite materials to fix this? What else do i need to do?

If you click on this link I think #20 is the complete set of all the parts involved in this valve setup -- let me know if i'm right.
the 2 pieces of black plastic in your pic= part number 27.....which means the choke plunger should pull straight out, since it looks like none of the retainer is in the carb body (kind of hard to tell in the pic). it's probably frozen in it's bore, which means you'll probably have to pull it out with pliers. once it's out, clean, clean, and clean again the plunger and it's bore until the plunger slides in and out easily.

I'll see if I can find you a retainer.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:29 AM
E for Engourged.

I already ordered the whole set. #24-29 in the pic posted above. I got the choke valve & retainer out too ---- yes, there was still some of theblack plastic piece stuck inside the carb body. had to pick at it w/ a small knife/screwdriver. Finally got it out though.