Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Im curious......

Old 02-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Chillaxin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6
Default Im curious......

Why is it so important that beginer get a bike that isnt a 1000cc?

I realize they are heavier and have more power, but is there something difficult about them? I mean, couldnt someone still learn (by learn i mean it being their first bike) on one? Im finding more R1's for sale in my price range than i am R6's, thats why i ask.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

cbucgo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Im curious......

There's only one reason people start on 600cc bikes.......So you don't hurt yourself. I had a friend that started on an R1 and he wrecked it a month later doing a wheelie. And he had been riding dirt bikes and stuff for 10-15 years. He went through 3 brand new R1's in one summer. Go ride an R6 and then an R1. Tell me which you think you should start on. lol.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

for one, learning the basics might not be so bad on a 1000, but learning to do other things will be very hard, like learning how to ride hard in the curves or learning wheelies, you'll be too busy trying not to loop it and trying to hold back to actually learn, where a 600 you can really ride much closer to its limits and learn alot better

start two guys on bikes, one gets a R6, one gets a R1, give them both a year of riding and eventually move the R6 guy up to a R1, even though the R1 guy now has a year more experience on it, i bet the guy that learned on a R6 will be the better rider because the guy that learning on a R1 spent a year riding conservative and limiting himself where as the R6 guy was more free to ride the bike harder and learn alot more

hope this makes some sense, but other reasons are cost and insurance
Old 02-25-2004, 06:17 AM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
for one, learning the basics might not be so bad on a 1000, but learning to do other things will be very hard, like learning how to ride hard in the curves or learning wheelies, you'll be too busy trying not to loop it and trying to hold back to actually learn, where a 600 you can really ride much closer to its limits and learn alot better

start two guys on bikes, one gets a R6, one gets a R1, give them both a year of riding and eventually move the R6 guy up to a R1, even though the R1 guy now has a year more experience on it, i bet the guy that learned on a R6 will be the better rider because the guy that learning on a R1 spent a year riding conservative and limiting himself where as the R6 guy was more free to ride the bike harder and learn alot more

hope this makes some sense, but other reasons are cost and insurance
Well put. Thank you Mr. Sol. But since you put it that way. Since its a persons first year riding anyhow, wouldnt it be better for that person to be conservative about how they ride anyhow? Id rather have something put the fear in me and keep me from doing stupid things, then getting over zealous because i have a 600cc bike that i feel more than capable of pushing the limits on. I havent been a big fan of bikes for years just because of the accident rate with them (though more of the accidents being caused by automobile drivers). But by keeping myself humble for a year, and then uping it up the next year, you dont see this as a good thing?

And i forgot about the insurance, so i can see it from that stand point. I seem to be finding a lot more R1's on sale for reasonable prices than i am the R6's, which is odd to say the least, but thats the case when lookin on cycletrader, and finding bikes that arent soo far away.

If you have more feedback to give, im more than willing to take more into consideration.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:22 AM
Patron

Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus

Originally Posted by Slow_Rolla
Well put. Thank you Mr. Sol. But since you put it that way. Since its a persons first year riding anyhow, wouldnt it be better for that person to be conservative about how they ride anyhow? Id rather have something put the fear in me and keep me from doing stupid things, then getting over zealous because i have a 600cc bike that i feel more than capable of pushing the limits on. I havent been a big fan of bikes for years just because of the accident rate with them (though more of the accidents being caused by automobile drivers). But by keeping myself humble for a year, and then uping it up the next year, you dont see this as a good thing?

And i forgot about the insurance, so i can see it from that stand point. I seem to be finding a lot more R1's on sale for reasonable prices than i am the R6's, which is odd to say the least, but thats the case when lookin on cycletrader, and finding bikes that arent soo far away.

If you have more feedback to give, im more than willing to take more into consideration.
It doesnt matter how safe you are on a bike there is always someone stupied out there and doesnt see you. You say you ratter have fear from keeping you from stupied things and lets face it WE ARE GUYS ! WE ALWAYS DO SOME STUPIED AT SOME POINT RIDING ! The turn of your wrist just a little your going over 100 MPH already! Also you are putting other riders in danger. Look what happen to Sol... with he wasnt even doing anything.. I am picking on who I ride due to the fact of people getting 1,000 because it cool. I mean if you want a R1 go get one.. we cant stop you we can only gave you advice. I think the only reason you see cheap r1's is becasue the newer 1,000 bikes this year.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

well yes you should ride fairly conservatively your first year, but no reason you can't start upping the ante as you begin feeling more comfortable, but basicallly the learning scale is alot friendlier on a 600... my friend went from a RC-51 to a R6 for just that reason, he felt like he wasn't comfortable learning how to ride hard on the RC, now he hangs with the fast groups on his "slower" bike because he's more comfortable knowing there is a little more room for error

basically you can get yourself into a bad situation on any bike, and alot of guys that start and wreck on 1000's would probably have done so on 600's too because they are just dumb, but if your pretty mature sure you could start on any bike and probably be fine... in the proper hands a 1000 will go much faster than a 600, but in the hands of a beginner it will get you into a sticky situation just that much faster than a 600

i wouldn't say absolutely don't get a R1, but a 600 is preferable thats all
Old 02-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Alright, with that said. If anyone see's a '00+ R6 for sale and it is under 4800, holla! Oh yeah, and id prefer it be blue, since all my gear is blue.

No im not trying to have anyone look for that for me, but im just saying that if you see one or hear of someone trying to sell one, then you know of a person who is in the market for one
Old 02-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Patron

Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus

Originally Posted by Slow_Rolla
Alright, with that said. If anyone see's a '00+ R6 for sale and it is under 4800, holla! Oh yeah, and id prefer it be blue, since all my gear is blue.

No im not trying to have anyone look for that for me, but im just saying that if you see one or hear of someone trying to sell one, then you know of a person who is in the market for one

good deal there was one for sale on the forum
Old 02-25-2004, 09:17 PM
Fighterer

Abysalone will become famous soon enough

I rode a GSXr 750 the other day and it was the first street bike i have rode. VERY fast and more than enough for most people I would think.2003 Suzuki GSXR750's are around 4000$ new from sunrise cycles.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:32 PM
apex-digital.net

slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6

$4000 for a new 750, yea rite, more like 10,000

Quick Reply: Im curious......