Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

question about taking the Virginia Rider Training Program

Old 12-21-2007, 02:30 PM
ladies love my foam.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam
Default Re: question about taking the Virginia Rider Training Program

Originally Posted by oNi
^ Yep you can take the advanced after you get used to your bike.

Used bikes, you can check craigslist, the wintertime is supposed to be best time to buy a bike pricewise, norfolk's craigslist doesn't have as big a selection as richmond and washington dc, you're more likely to find better deal on one of their sites. Also bike specific forums (600rr.net, SVrider.com) usually have deals you can checkout.
awsome.

so im thinking...

-take the training course.
-go to the DMV and test and get my "official" liscence
-get bike.

in that order...

reasonable?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:41 PM
oNi
Urusai! Baka!

oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi

Yep, you can also.

-Go to dmv and test and get your motorcycle permit.
-Take the training course, pass the driving test and get certificate to get your license at the dmv.
-Get bike.

^ That's how I did it. Doesn't really matter either way. Just doing it the way I did you at least get yourself familiar with some things about riding by reading the dmv book and taking the written test at the dmv to get your permit, all while waiting for the next class to become available.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:43 PM
ladies love my foam.

Originally Posted by oNi
Yep, you can also.

-Go to dmv and test and get your motorcycle permit.
-Take the training course, pass the driving test and get certificate to get your license at the dmv.
-Get bike.

^ That's how I did it. Doesn't really matter either way. Just doing it the way I did you at least get yourself familiar with some things about riding by reading the dmv book and taking the written test at the dmv to get your permit, all while waiting for the next class to become available.
how much is the DMV test? etc...

i know the training course is $90-$100

and who is the best insurance company to insure a bike with?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:51 PM
oNi
Urusai! Baka!

Forgot how much the dmv written permit test is, I don't remember it being that much though.

I got progressive for insurance, they're pretty good. I do hear a lot of people say state farm is cheapest for bikes though. I'm not sure bout geico, they got a shitty online quote thing and usually won't tell you a quote online if you're a new rider, they say some 'doesn't meet requirements' BS or another.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:55 PM
ladies love my foam.

Originally Posted by oNi
Forgot how much the dmv written permit test is, I don't remember it being that much though.

I got progressive for insurance, they're pretty good. I do hear a lot of people say state farm is cheapest for bikes though. I'm not sure bout geico, they got a shitty online quote thing and usually won't tell you a quote online if you're a new rider, they say some 'doesn't meet requirements' BS or another.
yea, i have geico for my SRT-4 and i absolutely hate it.

i'll check with state farm and pregressive

about how much a month am i looking to pay on average?
Old 12-21-2007, 03:04 PM
oNi
Urusai! Baka!

Depends on the bike as far as size (600cc, 1000cc), how old/new it is, and your existing driving record. I got a 95 CBR F3 600, pay about $30 a month for liability and comprehensive(in case it gets storm damage, stolen, etc.) If I were to add on collision coverage, it would damn near triple per month I believe. For a used bike I don't see the point in getting collision unless you plan on purposely causing an accident and want to get your money back as collision covers. For most new bikes, depending if you get a loan or not you're more than likely going to be required to get full coverage which I hear can be more than the bike payment itself for some people. I honestly recommend getting a used bike for your first bike, as most people are more than likely going to drop their bike somehow sooner or later, there's those that don't but I'd say most do. That way you get used to riding for a season or so and if you drop the bike it ain't as much to fix a new one, then you can probably sell it the next season for the same price you bought it most the time, just depends on the bike you get.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:12 PM
ladies love my foam.

Originally Posted by oNi
Depends on the bike as far as size (600cc, 1000cc), how old/new it is, and your existing driving record. I got a 95 CBR F3 600, pay about $30 a month for liability and comprehensive(in case it gets storm damage, stolen, etc.) If I were to add on collision coverage, it would damn near triple per month I believe. For a used bike I don't see the point in getting collision unless you plan on purposely causing an accident and want to get your money back as collision covers. For most new bikes, depending if you get a loan or not you're more than likely going to be required to get full coverage which I hear can be more than the bike payment itself for some people. I honestly recommend getting a used bike for your first bike, as most people are more than likely going to drop their bike somehow sooner or later, there's those that don't but I'd say most do. That way you get used to riding for a season or so and if you drop the bike it ain't as much to fix a new one, then you can probably sell it the next season for the same price you bought it most the time, just depends on the bike you get.
k
yea im looking for something relatively low miles 5-9k

definitely a used bike. def a 600.
only looking to pay around $4,000
Old 12-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

taking a MSF course covers everything the DMV does
no need to spend the extra dough
get you learning and license in one fell swoop
Old 12-21-2007, 03:34 PM
单身的 and loving it :)

Kells<3's Bikes is on a distinguished road

Hello! I took the TNCC MSF course. It was a good class! They might move a little fast for someone who has never even started a bike. I recommend getting the motorcycle book from DMV and studing it! If you want take the permit test, it wont hurt. But read the book first I took it 2 times before I read the book and pased the 3rd time...figured it was common sense...but I really had no clue. I think the test was like no more than 10 dollars and like 2 dollars to take it again. The class through TNCC was 125. A lot of schools raised the prices in September. If you take the class at tncc you do not have to take any test at all written or driving. You just bring the card they give you to DMV and your reguar driving license and they will take a new pic of you and give you a new driver license with the m on it! I also recommend hanging around some bikers. Let them show you the basics, like where everything is located, how to start the bike, operate the horn and blinkers! But advice on how to ride get that from the school! Dont try to ride anyones bike unless you have money to pay for damages! You are also welcome to come up to our shop and hang out. We are very helpful and fun up there! I got geico insurance and it was easy and cheap.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:24 PM
ladies love my foam.

Originally Posted by EMC Queen
Hello! I took the TNCC MSF course. It was a good class! They might move a little fast for someone who has never even started a bike. I recommend getting the motorcycle book from DMV and studing it! If you want take the permit test, it wont hurt. But read the book first I took it 2 times before I read the book and pased the 3rd time...figured it was common sense...but I really had no clue. I think the test was like no more than 10 dollars and like 2 dollars to take it again. The class through TNCC was 125. A lot of schools raised the prices in September. If you take the class at tncc you do not have to take any test at all written or driving. You just bring the card they give you to DMV and your reguar driving license and they will take a new pic of you and give you a new driver license with the m on it! I also recommend hanging around some bikers. Let them show you the basics, like where everything is located, how to start the bike, operate the horn and blinkers! But advice on how to ride get that from the school! Dont try to ride anyones bike unless you have money to pay for damages! You are also welcome to come up to our shop and hang out. We are very helpful and fun up there! I got geico insurance and it was easy and cheap.
wow. very informative.

i'm def looking for some people to ride with (because it seems to me that i cant see a bike w/out seeing 5 bikes. haha)

and no, i dont plan on even touching anyones bikes at all. i might be new to the bike scene but i've been around the car scene for awhile and i have respect for peoples property. ya know?

and the class at TNCC would probably be the one i'd want to take just to avoid testing at 2 different locations.

but i'll probably go and get a copy of the book for the permit test, read and study it, take the permit test (just for some knowledge) then go take the TNCC class.

i just wish they'd post their 2008 schedules.

and i appreciate the invite, i'll def be stopping by at your shop to get some advice, prices on gear (if you sell it), etc... thanks

Quick Reply: question about taking the Virginia Rider Training Program