Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

So, im kinda building a bobber.. HELP ME!...

Old 02-12-2010, 09:05 AM
SV haver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe
Default Re: So, im kinda building a bobber.. HELP ME!...

Originally Posted by simplsi
Not trying to thread jack here, but have been following and got a question of my own...

i'm 6'6 building my xs bobber with drag bars... skrooz im not a fan at all of ape hangers. what else would you suggest... I have a 72' with the tc bros hard tail.... I know I look like a monkey fucking a football on the thing... but it's got my heart poured into her already and am not at all ready to get a different platform... suggestions open, as I'm trying to have it road worthy by next season...
Maybe you can install forward pegs like Skr00z' bike... With your knees out of the way, the drag bars should be fine at 6'6"....

By the way, i kinda wish i was 6'6"... I'd play some mean volleyball.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:24 AM
HIGH FIVE!

upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown

Yeah, forwards should help if you don't have them already.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:17 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

problem is, on an XS with stock rake, you can only go so far forward with the controls before you're feet start hitting the front tire when you turn. My old bike had a 38 degree rake, so I had more room to hang the controls out farther. My new bike has no rake, and can only get the controls out to JUST past the exhuast.

still better than stock location though.

I'm 6', and on my new bike my legs are still a little cramped, but not too bad. Upper body is fine with the apes though. I know alot of people don't like apes, I didn't either until I rode a bike with them. Mucho comfortablo, as long as they're not rediculously high. Mine are only 12", more of a mini ape.

As far as trying to get more room with drag bars, there's really only 2 ways to accomplish that. Either move the seat farther back, or gooseneck the frame.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:41 AM
SV haver

so i got pulled over today.. Apparently in FL you need mirrors, and your license plate has to be mounted horizontally.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

hooligan has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by simplsi
Not trying to thread jack here, but have been following and got a question of my own...

i'm 6'6 building my xs bobber with drag bars... skrooz im not a fan at all of ape hangers. what else would you suggest... I have a 72' with the tc bros hard tail.... I know I look like a monkey fucking a football on the thing... but it's got my heart poured into her already and am not at all ready to get a different platform... suggestions open, as I'm trying to have it road worthy by next season...
Have you tried dirtbike bars? i am partial to drags myself, but the dirtbike bars are more comfortable and not as cramped....they are set out wider as well allowing you to toss the bike around...also if you keep the center bar in them you got a place to mount yer bicycle speedo (if need be)...

had them on a bandit and a cb650 i chopped and if i ever get a chance to do another (fkn deployments) i will go with the dirtbike bars again...

CHAPPE.....looked into just flippin the the headlight? i mean there is more to it, but from the pics it looks as though you could flip the bucket and get a lower mount appearance...
Old 02-12-2010, 01:19 PM
hatrs make me famous

Originally Posted by hooligan
Have you tried dirtbike bars? i am partial to drags myself, but the dirtbike bars are more comfortable and not as cramped....they are set out wider as well allowing you to toss the bike around...also if you keep the center bar in them you got a place to mount yer bicycle speedo (if need be)...

had them on a bandit and a cb650 i chopped and if i ever get a chance to do another (fkn deployments) i will go with the dirtbike bars again...

CHAPPE.....looked into just flippin the the headlight? i mean there is more to it, but from the pics it looks as though you could flip the bucket and get a lower mount appearance...

good idea, you can get "superbike" bars just about anywhere CHEAP. I had a set on that bike I was building for my ex to ride. Pretty comfy. I think these were stock Bandit 1200 bars left over from when I built that streetfighter.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:22 PM
hatrs make me famous

Originally Posted by chappe
so i got pulled over today.. Apparently in FL you need mirrors, and your license plate has to be mounted horizontally.

same as VA.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:24 PM
HIGH FIVE!

upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown

Really? Mirrors are required? And the tag has to be horizontal? Eff that ess.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:18 PM
hatrs make me famous

Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown
Really? Mirrors are required? And the tag has to be horizontal? Eff that ess.
In VA, you have to have at least a left mirror, and "technically" the plate has to be horizontal. Most cops won't mess with you over the plate, unless they're just looking for a reason to pull you, which does happen, especially on a home-built chop.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:27 PM
SV haver

Originally Posted by hooligan
i plan on getting a spacer to go between the stock brackets and the upper triple... Or just get some cheap universal brackets that mount to the fork tubes... Cause i want to mount it right by the lower triple.

Ugh!!! Im gonna have to buy a bicycle mirror and move the tag... sigh!!! I've been ridind without a helmet for the last couple of days until my new one comes in... LOL... It feels weird.

Quick Reply: So, im kinda building a bobber.. HELP ME!...