Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

where to / how to get fitted for gear?

Old 12-21-2007, 03:03 PM
ladies love my foam.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam
Default Re: where to / how to get fitted for gear?

Originally Posted by The_rabbit1
def make sure helmet is snug, a loose helmet will get sucked up by the air. ask how i know...should be about the same as a fitted cap, ie large or med same for gloves and such, try whatever you'd normally buy in a work glove, jacket, hat etc. should fit just right. and
ooh ok. that works for me...

whats that thing that i see on some riders jackets that is like a hump on their back... making them more streamline i guess?
Old 12-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by projekt
ooh ok. that works for me...

whats that thing that i see on some riders jackets that is like a hump on their back... making them more streamline i guess?
your probly talking bout the cool and expensive backpacks that are wind drag friendly.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

if you are looking 2 ride go to myspace
their is a whole network of riders on that jank
Old 12-21-2007, 03:15 PM
ladies love my foam.

your probly talking bout the cool and expensive backpacks that are wind drag friendly.
haha no idea...

whats the info on these spine guards.. are they worth the money?

Originally Posted by AFwestPunk
if you are looking 2 ride go to myspace
their is a whole network of riders on that jank
haha that sounds hilarious. i signed up for myspace for ass. now im getting bikers.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of

spine guards are if you plan on falling really hard, they can get uncomfortable
Old 12-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

Originally Posted by projekt
haha no idea...
haha that sounds hilarious. i signed up for myspace for ass. now im getting bikers.
yeah
it is the natural progression of things
Old 12-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

They'll protect you in any fall where you slide on the back. I'm sure we've all see the pictures here of the guy who slid on his back. His skin was worn away in the middle where his spine is. The vertebrate cause this.

Caled, do you paln on getting a leather jacket? If so, you can essentially order the same size you'd wear in a blazer/suit jacket. Read the fitment chart for the specific brand you chose, though. Some will run a size big or small and it's helpful if you know this. For a jacket to work properly, it should fit snug too. I'm a big fan of Teknic and Alpinestars jackets. Teknic is more reasonalby priced and you can usually find good closeouts on last years stuff.

Gloves are easy. Once you've tried on a pair, all smalls fit about the same. I wear mediums in everything I've ever owned.

Helmets can be difficult. Many buy them way too big thinking that they are actually snug when they're not. I wear a 7 3/8" fitted ball cap (when I have short hair) and I wear a MD HJC helmet. I see people riding with XL and XXL and have no clue who fitted them.

I don't know how much you plan to spend on a helmet, but if you're looking for something like a HJC CL-15 you might as well pick it up locally. Try them on and try on other gear while you're at the shop. Give the locals some business. Without them, where would we be?
Old 12-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

Oh yeah, please get some sort of boots. Don't buy some bulky steel toes either. At the very least, where some basketball shoes (still not great). I wear Alpinestars SMX-Rs everytime I ride. They don't look too goofy with jeans, IMO. They are comfy enough for me to walk in the mall and not be pissed that I'm not in my sneakers.

Here is a picture of them under my jeans:

Old 12-21-2007, 05:17 PM
ladies love my foam.

well... no one PLANS to fall... haha

Originally Posted by Corey
They'll protect you in any fall where you slide on the back. I'm sure we've all see the pictures here of the guy who slid on his back. His skin was worn away in the middle where his spine is. The vertebrate cause this.

Caleb, do you paln on getting a leather jacket? If so, you can essentially order the same size you'd wear in a blazer/suit jacket. Read the fitment chart for the specific brand you chose, though. Some will run a size big or small and it's helpful if you know this. For a jacket to work properly, it should fit snug too. I'm a big fan of Teknic and Alpinestars jackets. Teknic is more reasonalby priced and you can usually find good closeouts on last years stuff.

Gloves are easy. Once you've tried on a pair, all smalls fit about the same. I wear mediums in everything I've ever owned.

Helmets can be difficult. Many buy them way too big thinking that they are actually snug when they're not. I wear a 7 3/8" fitted ball cap (when I have short hair) and I wear a MD HJC helmet. I see people riding with XL and XXL and have no clue who fitted them.

I don't know how much you plan to spend on a helmet, but if you're looking for something like a HJC CL-15 you might as well pick it up locally. Try them on and try on other gear while you're at the shop. Give the locals some business. Without them, where would we be?
this post helped me out alot Corey. thanks.
and i do plan on getting some boots as well. actual REAL riding boots.

and from what im hearing, alpinestar sounds like my best bet for my suit.
with an HJC helmet.

and i checked on their site the helmets are only like $200 shipped so thats not too bad at all.

what are the best local shops around here?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Honda Rider

1320B4U is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey hun,
Being as I ride and race motorcycles, plus I used to work at Cycle World fitting people for helmets and stuff -and now I am part owner of a Motorcycle Suspension and Accessories Company. I thought I might be able to help

First Off Helmet-
NEVER EVER Purchase a brand and model of Helmet that You have never tried on. It will be the worst mistake you ever make. For instance I wear a small in Arai, and firgured other top quality helmets will fit the same. WRONG! I wanted the Aztec Suomy and tried it on, and it fit HORRIBLE! While trying on the helmet make sure you don't have any pressure points around the crown of your head (you should barely be able to put a finger between your forehead and the lining of the helmet) and you should be lightly biting the insides of you cheeks. This will break in within 5-6 hours of helmet use. I suggest Arai, I have gone down in a few different brands and models, but believe me, it worth EVERY penny!!

Jackets-
There are three to choose from, all with a give and take on protection and breathability.
Mesh, which are very very breathable, but offer almost no protection at all.
Textile, little hotter in the summer, but MUCH more than the mesh.
And LEATHER- I suggest this of course, and I believe anyone with road rash will agree. If I can go down at 140 and slide about 500feet, and still not have a scratch, its good. BUT leather is also very hot in the summer, but warm in the winter. There are two types as well, Solid and Preferated, the preferated is not as warm in the winter but MUCH cooler in the summer.

Gloves- Textile gloves will stretch out a small amount, depending on the brand. Leather gloves will take longer to stretch but will provide MUCH more protection. DO NOT USE MECHANICS GLOVES THEY WILL MELT AWAY DURING A FALL!

Boots- Should fit a little bit bigger than standard shoes, and will break in to be VERY comfy. I have had my Astars for 2 years and they are my most comfortable shoes.

--- Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions, PM me!

Caitlin

Quick Reply: where to / how to get fitted for gear?