Notices
Events Look here for all and any upcoming events that you can attend.

Hampton PWC Event

Old 05-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD
Default Hampton PWC Event

First of all I would like to give everyone a heads up that I am trying to organize a PWC event weekend here in Hampton (the same location as the Hampton cup regatta).

To give you a general idea of what the plans are for this event I would like to run this by everyone who is interested.

2 Day event

3 different types of races*

* Freestyle - including ramps

* Closed Course (multiple divisions)

* HydroDrag - 1/8th mile drag race (multiple divisions)

Live Bands throughout the event - Min 2 with a Max of 3

* Bands along the lines of: Fine Swiss Cheese, Hey Hey Hooligan, etc.

Right now everything is obviously in the prelim stages of coming together. I have contacted numerous people who not only host events locally but also those who host out of state. Events such as WaveDaze, HydroDrags, Hampton Cup Regatta, Power In The Park just to name a few. Hopefully those involved will give a little insight, or even possibly help with getting this going.

I'd like some feedback, positive or negative so I can rethink some idea and hopefully make this a great event for everyone. Obviously this is not an event to make money but more to allow others to enjoy the aspect of the sport. Thanks in advance for your opinions and thoughts.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD
Default Re: Hampton PWC Event

Email from Scott Frazier, Executive Director of IJSBA

Hello Nick,
I am sp happy for your interest in a PWC event. What a great location, thank you for the photo.
I have copied a gentleman who produces Freestyle shows who can contact you immediately about this part.
I will forward this request to WaterTop and see if they have any interest in loaning you their system.
I will also forward this to some Closed Course Promoters.
IJSBA can offer you all the resources you need to get your event going. Please let me know how I can help you further.

Thanks,

Scott Frazier
IJSBA Executive Director
Old 05-03-2010, 08:52 AM
version VI

stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw

i'm in
Old 05-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Originally Posted by stl2slw
i'm in
I'm hoping a lot of people are in. I posted this up on WaveJunkies forum too as this will be an event that is open to everyone from freestyle wave jumpers to those who have a need to go fast in a straight line on water, and of course, those who are straight line nazi's and prefer turns

The idea is great in my opinion, but I may be biased. The fact is, it's a shame that there isnt an organized event like this locally. Yes we have Wavedaze in October, but that is mostly for those freestylers. The next closest event I know about is the closed course race in Colonial Beach, Va. So that is exactly "close" for anyone around here.

There is so many sanctions out there that I am sure would be willing to help, it's just a matter of getting the ball rolling. I'll keep this thread updated obviously.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 AM
version VI

stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw

i'm sure i can talk people in to attending if it does happen
Old 05-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Yeah I am hoping for word of mouth to be a major help. I have already printed off the city of Hamptons Event form and I need to not only contact them but also Ft. Monroe about doing it in that location.

I am not sure about the entrance fee as of right now as that is a long ways from now. I do know that it wouldn't be anything outrageous, I am the first person to say I wont participate in something if it's too expensive.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:25 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Update:

I received and email last night from Patrick Mell of the APBA association. He wants me to call him today as they are trying to get more races in our region (region 8) for the closed course circuit.

Another email I received was from Wesley Jackson which is the regional promoter for region 8. He pointed out that there is a lot of details to go over for an event like this and he wants to talk over the phone as well. Hopefully he gives me a call today and we can come up with some great ideas and knock down any barriers we might face. He sounds just as enthusiastic as everyone else I have spoken with to get this to happen.

Things are looking good up to this point. Also, if you have any suggestions for sponsors that I can include in my list, please post them here or shoot me a message. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:11 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

New Update: I just got an email back from the Ft. Monroe Chief of Plans and Operations. He gave me the contact information for the man who "was instrument in getting the city to allow the Hampton Cup to be held in Tide Mill". Things are still looking good! I'm also going to give Patrick from the APBA a call here shortly, so I'll have an update from that as well.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Another Update:

So I spoke with Patrick Mell from APBA this morning and he gave me some insight as to what I can expect to get something like this going.

Basically, Wesley Jackson is a regional promoter who is trying to get more races setup for region 8 so he will be someone I would deal with a lot more than anyone else it looks like. Luckily, he is only a few hours away from me and if need be, I could drive up there to meet him. While I was on the phone with Patrick, Wesley actually called his cell phone, so hopefully I will hear from him sometime in the near future.

With the obvious needs of starting an event being the funding support, we spoke a little about sponsorships and some of the general cost. I have gathered a list of some local business' that may be able to help out with this kind of event. So it's just a matter of getting it more set in stone prior to contacting them.

Putting together and event like this can take some time, so Patrick mentioned that it might be easier to slip into the Hampton Cup Regatta if they are looking to possibly fill the void between their boat races. I think this is a good idea, but I am just afraid of not being able to do exactly what my ideas were. It's something that would have to be figured out with the Hampton Cup committee.

All in all, it was nice talking with Patrick, he gave me some good insight and good direction as to what the future could hold. So as long as this train keeps continuing down it's path... this event will happen.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

I was invited to attend the Hampton Cup Regatta meeting on Monday.

Quick Reply: Hampton PWC Event