Notices
Import - EUROPE Vehicles from European manufacturers go here.

91 318is Silver/Tan NON-SUNROOF

Old 11-04-2009, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN
Default Re: 91 318is Silver/Tan NON-SUNROOF

Originally Posted by trickyricky
I feel like you will not have many issues with the E30s. Not a lot of electronic gizmos, etc. Major issues with these models are suspension, cooling system, sunroof, door locking system. As you can see OP has tackled a lot of the major maintenance issues. Just as tweak here and there. Lend me the $$$, I let you know how it goes
thanks for the feedback. seriously considering. How about maintenance cost? i mean as far as parts that may go bad, how are they compared to hondas in price to replace? all i have ever owned was hondas so i wouldnt know
Old 11-04-2009, 06:54 AM

trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky

I believe that they go for about the same. Different things break on those two cars. You definitely need to get your networking done with BMW, no matter which model. But it's not impossible to maintain an E30 and not break the bank. With BMW though, it's all about preventative maintenance, so at certain milage you do certain work. If you keep on top of your fluids, filters, tire wear pattern, etc, you should be able to prevent most major issues.

Not uncommon for a door lock to fail, for the sunroof to jump track or leak, for the shock mounts to break, cooling system failure, ocasional oil leak from the valve cover, power steering, but all of these things are relatively easy to diagnose/repair/replace.

Then you get into interior condition, paint fade, etc. just like any other car really.
Is it a "put on gas and go" type car? No. Can it be daily driven? Yes. Appeal and value? That is up to you, for me, it's a lot cooler to restore/preserve one of these than on of the millions of Japanese little cars out there. Don't get me wrong, I've had my fair share of Japanese cars and they hold a certain appeal to me, but all thing considered and being equal,I would go for this type of car. Ultimaltely, when you go see this car, you will know if it is for you or not. I hope this helps. GLWP
Old 11-04-2009, 07:18 AM

MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN

Originally Posted by trickyricky
I believe that they go for about the same. Different things break on those two cars. You definitely need to get your networking done with BMW, no matter which model. But it's not impossible to maintain an E30 and not break the bank. With BMW though, it's all about preventative maintenance, so at certain milage you do certain work. If you keep on top of your fluids, filters, tire wear pattern, etc, you should be able to prevent most major issues.

Not uncommon for a door lock to fail, for the sunroof to jump track or leak, for the shock mounts to break, cooling system failure, ocasional oil leak from the valve cover, power steering, but all of these things are relatively easy to diagnose/repair/replace.

Then you get into interior condition, paint fade, etc. just like any other car really.
Is it a "put on gas and go" type car? No. Can it be daily driven? Yes. Appeal and value? That is up to you, for me, it's a lot cooler to restore/preserve one of these than on of the millions of Japanese little cars out there. Don't get me wrong, I've had my fair share of Japanese cars and they hold a certain appeal to me, but all thing considered and being equal,I would go for this type of car. Ultimaltely, when you go see this car, you will know if it is for you or not. I hope this helps. GLWP
thanks a lot bud and that helps a lot! i have a euro loving friend i will take with me to see it.

OP- 804-405-5902 shoot me text today and let me know if i can meet you tonight to see this car. i am also in mechanicsville so i can come whenever!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Hardtop00SS Hardtop00SS Hardtop00SS Hardtop00SS Hardtop00SS Hardtop00SS Hardtop00SS Hardtop00SS

Hey man, sorry for the late reply, yeah ironically, E30's are probably one of the cheapest BMW's to maintain (besides a 2002, and they're getting up there in this day), old technology makes for a simple, yet very effective system. Most of the common problems have been addressed on this car. These cars are famous for racks crapping and dumping fluid at the cv boots, rear shock mounts wearing out, suspension bushings wearing out. M42's are famous for heating/cooling problems, like the clutch fan's and radiator's going out. Everything has been addressed on this car, if ANYTHING, in the future I would look at changing trailing arm bushings and possibly the rear subframe bushings. Both can he had under 100 and a day of work and there done. Mine haven't been a problem, but they could stand to be changed.

I haven't got a call from you yet, let me know ASAP, I got a buddy up in NJ that's pretty serious about picking it up this weekend. Told him I have you coming to check it out possibly.

Let me know
Old 11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

mattm is on a distinguished road

sent you a message.

really interested in this.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:46 AM
Registered Member

Hardtop00SS Hardtop00SS Hardtop00SS Hardtop00SS Hardtop00SS Hardtop00SS Hardtop00SS Hardtop00SS

sale pending
Old 11-06-2009, 03:21 AM
1 happy dude

snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad

:drool:
Old 11-06-2009, 06:21 AM
Registered Member

Coldaccord has disabled reputation

I thought this already sold? yesterday someone on r3v said they were en route to pick it up
Old 11-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Coldaccord
I thought this already sold? yesterday someone on r3v said they were en route to pick it up
Yeah, it's pending until picked up Sunday. Pretty sure it's sold