Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

Lincoln Tech? Need advice/opinion

Old 05-30-2006, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
goinfromslow has disabled reputation
Default Re: Lincoln Tech? Need advice/opinion

I know a guy that goes to Lincoln Tech. He took out a huge loan, been there almost a year and doesn't know shit about cars. All he knows is the stuff people learn in high school. How a engine works, how to do brakes, oil, tires, etc. Nothing big. Now my brother says dealerships don't pay a lot. He said the only reason they make money is that they do the same thing all day so they can do it in less time. Nobody is going to start you off at 40K a year and you never did it before. Only way your going to get that if you work for a dealership with the cheapest car they have is 75k's. And now a days its really not on how great you are its about how fast you can do it but do it good.

Last edited by goinfromslow; 05-30-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

KhanArtisT has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by sleeperda9
i was about to go to licon tech but it looked freakin boring. ive herd its alot of book work witch i hate. i rather get hands on work.i know this guy that went there he told me that its a waste of money.
Check out UTI then, they advertise their 'hands on' thing a lot.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Patron

Boxer4PSI has disabled reputation

One thing to remember is that learning how to build hot rods and hi-performance cars are nice. HOWEVER, when you get out there into the real world, you are more likely to work on average everyday vehicles as opposed to high hp cars (especially with high gas prices, the higher the prices go, the less and less money/desire people will have to spend on go-fast parts that in some cases decrease gas mileage).
Old 05-30-2006, 08:28 PM
whatever ho.

chinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these parts

right.. i'm looking to make a decent career. i mean i know the average things about cars.. changing oil.. brakes.. maintenance stuff. and i'd like to go to school.. learn.. get certified.. get out.. find a decent job.. and make a successful career for myself. by the way.. when/if i get certified.. is it only good for the state that i get certified in? or is this a national certification that can be used anywhere.. in the future i plan on leaving the northern virginia area. thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

goinfromslow has disabled reputation

I say don't get into this kind of field. Say with the book work and get a white collar job making 100k a year sellings computer chips. It cost to much to learn the stuff their going to teach you, plus you have to buy real tools from snap-on and mac not from craftmans. If you really really want to do it, get a job at a shop cleaning it up. You'll make 7 dollars a hour and free knowledge and work your way up from there. In 2 years you would beable to do more then people learn in 4 there. Hands on is better the reading a book.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Patron

Boxer4PSI has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by chinabuddie
right.. i'm looking to make a decent career. i mean i know the average things about cars.. changing oil.. brakes.. maintenance stuff. and i'd like to go to school.. learn.. get certified.. get out.. find a decent job.. and make a successful career for myself. by the way.. when/if i get certified.. is it only good for the state that i get certified in? or is this a national certification that can be used anywhere.. in the future i plan on leaving the northern virginia area. thanks
Get yourself ASE Certified once you are done with automotive school. As long as you keep your ASE Certifications up to date, I think you are good to go no matter what state you are in.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Boxer4PSI
One thing to remember is that learning how to build hot rods and hi-performance cars are nice. HOWEVER, when you get out there into the real world, you are more likely to work on average everyday vehicles as opposed to high hp cars (especially with high gas prices, the higher the prices go, the less and less money/desire people will have to spend on go-fast parts that in some cases decrease gas mileage).
Unless you get hired at a performance shop, which really shouldn't be too hard looking at UTI's repuation with car manufacturers.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by goinfromslow
I say don't get into this kind of field. Say with the book work and get a white collar job making 100k a year sellings computer chips. It cost to much to learn the stuff their going to teach you, plus you have to buy real tools from snap-on and mac not from craftmans. If you really really want to do it, get a job at a shop cleaning it up. You'll make 7 dollars a hour and free knowledge and work your way up from there. In 2 years you would beable to do more then people learn in 4 there. Hands on is better the reading a book.
WOW YOU REALLY CHANGED MY LIFE FORTUNE TELLER GUY THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! W000H000

You sound like you missed out on High School some, honestly. It costs 20k with no housing. Its like a damn car payment. UTI course is all hands on.

Eh, just stop talking dude, I'm not gonna bother going any further.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Additional Info: If you don't want to wait till Feb. 07, theres a UTI campus in PA about 3 hours away.

Heres a thread thats kind of informative:

http://www.dragva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110607

Last edited by KhanArtisT; 05-30-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:50 PM
whatever ho.

chinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these parts

does UTI and Lincoln Tech give you the same certification? I mean.. the Lincoln Tech is in Columbia Maryland.. about 1 hour 15 min away from my house in Northern VA.. i could probably commute..

the whole point of this thread is.. is going to one of these types of schools worth it? i don't wanna get certified and do pretty well in the school.. i'm not saying i'm going to be #1 TOP DOG at the school.. but i'd like to be in the top 10 percent of the class. And by going there and getting in the top 10% and stuff.. i don't wanna come out of the program and get a job changing oil 24/7 and making $12/hr ya know? If i go through the time and effort and actually do pretty well in the program.. i expect to get a 'decent' job.. and work my way up after getting certified.

Quick Reply: Lincoln Tech? Need advice/opinion