Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

red light camera ticket

Old 05-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King
Default red light camera ticket

ok it was raining like a bitch yesterday.. basically i was going down rt50 in front of fairfax high school, couldnt see shit in the rain and accidentally ran a light, because i thought the line was closer than it actually was, and got 2 flashes after i passed it.. any chance in fighting that in court? or just pay it?
Old 05-01-2005, 06:01 PM
T3T04E

RSX-T has much to be proud ofRSX-T has much to be proud ofRSX-T has much to be proud ofRSX-T has much to be proud ofRSX-T has much to be proud ofRSX-T has much to be proud ofRSX-T has much to be proud ofRSX-T has much to be proud ofRSX-T has much to be proud ofRSX-T has much to be proud ofRSX-T has much to be proud of
Default Re: red light camera ticket

I doubt that camera is good enough to catch your license plate with all that rain. I'll be damned if they can make out your real plate with what they have.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Banned

MS3Axela has disabled reputation

I got into the same situation.

Had bald tires and rainy day. Saw the light and knew if I braked, I would have ended in the middle of the intersection so I passed it and got flashed.

I have a debadged car, which make them mistake the model of my car but the pictures shows really clearly my license plate from 2 different angles.

Pay it.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

wait for the picture to be sent. go from there.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:15 AM
fun²

tryckjävel is an unknown quantity at this point

i hear they're removing the camera systems cause they cost more than they make in revenue?
Old 05-02-2005, 05:47 AM
Registered Member

e46M3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Throw it in the dumpster.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:58 AM
TEC
wave or die

TEC is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry about it. I totally ignore the cameras now.

Virginia law states that the only way that they can give you a ticket is if it is delivered to you by an enforcement officer. If it is mailed, then it's trash. This is the reason that they are getting rid of the cameras.

If you get one take it to court and tell the judge that the ticket was mailed to you and not delivered by an enforcement officer which is against the law.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

MrDoctor is infamous around these partsMrDoctor is infamous around these partsMrDoctor is infamous around these partsMrDoctor is infamous around these partsMrDoctor is infamous around these partsMrDoctor is infamous around these partsMrDoctor is infamous around these partsMrDoctor is infamous around these partsMrDoctor is infamous around these partsMrDoctor is infamous around these partsMrDoctor is infamous around these parts

i got a ticket there same light came in mail 2 days ago 50 dollar fine and it was raining
Old 05-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Banned

R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King

can anyone point me to where this law is? so i can i print it out and show it to the judge
Old 05-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

e46M3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Show what to the judge? Throw it away and forget about it.

When you receive a normal ticket from a Cop, there is the little line at the bottom where it says something like "without admiting guilt, I promise to show up to court at the above date, or pay the fine..." When you get a photo radar ticket, you don't sign sh!t. Your not obligated to do sh!t. You didn't sign anything promising a damn thing. Hell, you didn't even know you GOT a ticket. They are not sent out registered mail, that costs too much. They can't prove that you received it either. This type of ticket pisses me off so much. The fact that they use a fuking camera hooked up to a radar unit because the Cops aren't doing their jobs and the county just wants to get it's greedy little hands on more revenue by praying on the idiocy and scare tactics impressed upon it's citizens is an angering thought indeed. The reason you will probably NEVER hear another thing about any of these tickets is there have been MANY law suits against multiple countys across the nation where people have successfully sued them for invasion of privacy, because thats exactly what photo radar is. They know of these law suits and will not press you for fear that you will become angry like the hoards of other people and fight back. Remember, they pray on the naive nature of the few people who are scared into paying the fine.

If for whatever reason you get arrested for one of these tickets, you can easily sue the county or appropriate other for pain and suffering, loss of wages, emotional distress, etc. Being arrested is a very stressful thing. Try to cry, and act deeply wounded that you would ever be arrested (it helps if you have never been arrested before). I don't advocate playing up things just to get money in court, but when a county stoops to the level of using cowardly, privacy invading, and basically WRONG tactics like this, play their own game. Use cheap tactics to fight cheap tactics.

If you so choose to fight your photo radar ticket (and this also works most of the time), make sure to request ANY of the pictures that were taken. They will usuaully not send the pictures along with the citation, they learned better to do that after a man sued the county for invasion of privacy when his spouse and him opened a ticket that had pictures of himself and an unknown female passenger "messing around" in the front seat. The wife split apart from her husband, and the husband sued, and he won, a lot...

Statistics indicate that the vast majority of photo radar pictures are illegible in at least ONE of the following three critical categories.

1. Legible license plate number
2. Make and model of the car identifiable
3. Clearly distinguishable driver.

Number three is usually pretty unclear as most windshields have that dark stripe across the top, people drive with hats on, sun visors down, hands are in the way, head is turned, etc. Even if the driver sort of looks like you (and probably is) you can say "Your honor, I don't know who that is in the driver's seat but I'm 100% sure it isn't me." if you get a reply along the lines of "You mean to tell me thats YOUR car and you don't know who's driving it?" you can reply "exactly...everyone in my family has keys to it, I let my friends use it from time to time, my family members lend it to people on occasion as well for emergencies, or whatnot." I seriously doubt the judge will subpoena everyone in your family, and all your friends, etc. for a speeding ticket.

Remember, FUK photo radar. Most of the devices aren't even owned by law enforcement, but are mearly leased from private companies in exchange for a percentage of the cash collected. So, think about it, this is nothing more than a cowardly, somewhat "pu$$yish" means of revenue generation. At no time is public saftey, or to protect anyone for that matter in mind, its ALL about the money. Funny, I seem to remember once seeing on the side of a Cop car "To Protect and to Serve." maybe they should change that "to fuk you over, and invade your privacy...because we need money"
cliff notes dont bother with it.

Last edited by e46M3; 05-02-2005 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply: red light camera ticket