Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

State Inspection tomfoolery... what would VAdriven do?

Old 08-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Stuck on I-66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot
Default State Inspection tomfoolery... what would VAdriven do?

I'm probably not going to get a real response here.. but its worth a shot.

I have been driving a company truck since march, so my personal vehicle hasn't been driven in about 9 weeks. The other day I noticed that my safety inspection expired in July, so this past weekend, I left my truck at the shop and took my car home so that I could get it inspected. I normally get my car (2000 Honda Civic) serviced/inspected at Landmark Honda. On saturday I went against my usual routine and I took my car to a Sunoco station on Rolling road (next to Cardinal Plaza, right behind Einstien Bagel).

I pull in, theres no line and the inspector was some shady looking white dude with long hair and glasses. He was polite nontheless, so I didn't think much of anything, gave him my wheel locks and told him that I needed a Safety inspection. Now... at this time, my car worked and functioned perfectly. I then go and have a quick bite to eat at the bagel shop and then come back about an hour later.

When I walk back to the station.. I notice that my hood isn't closed all the way, so I try to close it... and no dice the hood goes down, hits the latch and then bumps back up.

I open the hood and check it out... turns out the motherfucker broke my hood latch cable.. and when I saw him.. he greets me with a "Ok, you're all set!" I quickly had to reply with "Uhh.. no i'm not.. why wont my hood close?" to which all he could say is "Uhh let me get my shop manager"

So to make a long story short... they are claiming that I brought the car in like that and that they are not responsible for any damages done to the car ( I pointed out that my car would not have passed inspection with a fucked up hood latch like that.. so I most certainly did NOT bring my car in like that). They made me pay for my inspection, and then gave me WIRE (not rope.. or twine.. or anything.. they gave me a 22 gauge wire) to tie my hood down because "It is saturday and my Techs want to go home." I somehow passed my safety inspection and there is brand new sticker on my window. They then told me that I should come back on monday and they would take a look at it and see what they could do... then the shop manager quickly followed with.. "Oh.. but we aren't going to fix anything for free"

This whole situation pissed me the hell off so badly that I just took the wire, tied my hood down, limped home and then grabbed my work truck for the mean time. I also made an appointment at Landmark Honda to get this shit fixed.. because if I know Landmark Honda... at least they own up to their mistakes.. and they wouldn't have let me leave without fixing the issue. Only thing is now.. that my service advisor at the dealership is quoting me around 3.5-4 hours to replace the hood latch cable (if it needs replacing..his words). Knowing that they charge 99.00/hr for labor, I'm looking at close to 400.00 to fix something that was the fault of a VA State inspector.

Here is what I have running through my head and I want you all's honest opinion as to what I should do next.

1. Take a Dump.
2. Call/Write the VA State Police and report that a State Inspector made a car unsafe, gave it a passing sticker and knowingly allowed a vehicle with an unsecured hood out on public roads.
3. Get the car fixed, and give the shop manager the bill.
4. Drop it and move on.

any help/insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by TehMascot; 08-24-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:35 AM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom
Default Re: State Inspection tomfoolery... what would VAdriven do?

number 2, get the police invovled, usually works out.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

It is very hard to prove who's fault it is. However, Ek hood latch assembly's suck in the first place. So it could have happened just as easily to you as to them.

Either way, good luck.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:39 AM
canibeat.com

kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32

yeah...do all 4 steps..you pretty much have them with " my car is unsafe and they passed it" so...get em.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Body In Trunk.

RCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond repute

call the state police. dont expect any compensation tho. gl with all that!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Banned

R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King

anytime a dickhead pulls a douche move like that i feel i need to go all out in proving a point, and out-douche them.

so get the cops, and put alot of emphasis on the fact that they are irresponsible with safety inspections, call WTOP call for action, contact the Better Business Bureau, the whole 9
Old 08-24-2009, 08:44 AM
canibeat.com

kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32

find something unsafe in the shop and call OSHA!!!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Banned

R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King

Originally Posted by kevsz32
find something unsafe in the shop and call OSHA!!!
and that, dont forget to post the shop's phone number and address on 4chan.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Registered member

DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus

Originally Posted by jOOOOwan
and that, dont forget to post the shop's phone number and address on 4chan.
christ
Old 08-24-2009, 08:51 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Report inspector and shop to Virginia State Police Safety Division, here is their number. 804-674-6774. They are literally on the other side of the wall from me right now.

You will still need to file a local police report and call your insurance agent. That should get the repair compensated.

Quick Reply: State Inspection tomfoolery... what would VAdriven do?