Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

A few upgrades?

Old 10-10-2006, 07:52 AM
d00d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
duder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A few upgrades?

Originally Posted by VADA9
The problem is stated in red, you should not try to bang your girl while riding?
I find it helps with my stanima and increases the pleasure.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:54 AM
d00d

Also, anyone ever notice how beautiful the 500's look from the back? Kidding aside, do they make an undertail kit or atleast something for that rear?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

tundrafiend01 is on a distinguished road

For starters, check out this site which is dedicated to the EX500.

This is a brief list of mods you can do that will get you mild gains:

Remove smog/emissions shit. You don't need it and all it does is add weight to the bike.

Adjust the pilot screws on the carbs about 2.5 turns out. While you're at it, cut a 1 inch hole in the left side of your air box.

Exhaust will get you 1-2, but only thing you'll notice is the noise. I have Muzzy on my bike, but I've heard people have had good results with the Sarachu's.

Don't deal with Casey for any of your needs. Check http://www.bikebandit.com or http://www.denniskirk.com for your sprocket needs. You should look at the 15 or 14 tooth front sprocket for your bike and you could go up a tooth or 3 in the rear (42-45 teeth).

Get skr00zloose to do most, if not all your upgrades.

Don't worry about getting a jet kit for the 500, all you'll do is hurt your gas mileage.

For your fender woes, check out http://www.ninjacustoms.net/home.html for their undertail kit.

You'll be lucky to get 5-7 hp out of everything I've mentioned, hate to say it, if you want serious horse power talk to skr00zloose about high performance options, or get a 600.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:37 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

i can double the hp out of that motor

BUT, power comes at a price, and not just in the wallet. if you get to crazy with building hp, it becomes a less "streetable" motor, and longevity of the motor becomes an issue. personally, i'd say start with a pipe/airbox mod/gearing, and go from there. later you could have some mild head work done and a better cam put in.

i do that kind of thing all day every day, if you don't want to deal with the stealerships, let me know, my rates are ALOT better, and if i have all the parts in front of me when i start, i can have your bike back to you in two days tops (unless we're talking internal motor work, the timeframe for that is a different story).

5-7 hp doesn't sound like much on paper, but on the road, especially when you're not starting with much power to begin with, it's definatly noticable. real power starts coming not from just a pipe, or just a jet kit, or any one thing, it's the combination of several upgrades all tuned to work together, for the better.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:51 PM
d00d

skrooz, would you do a package deal for sprockets, and undertail kit? If so, can you shoot me an estimation and would you order the parts or me?
Old 10-10-2006, 06:53 PM
d00d

Originally Posted by tundrafiend01
For starters, check out this site which is dedicated to the EX500.

This is a brief list of mods you can do that will get you mild gains:

Remove smog/emissions shit. You don't need it and all it does is add weight to the bike.

Adjust the pilot screws on the carbs about 2.5 turns out. While you're at it, cut a 1 inch hole in the left side of your air box.

Where is the smog equipment and how easy is it to remove? Does it affect inspection?

Where are the pilot screws?

I'm a little weary about drilling any holes in my bike, I have literally no idea what I'm doing.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:39 PM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

I am surprised nobody mentioned it on here, but 500 motors are very friendly when dealing with spray, and by spray I mean that you can hook a bottle up to the 500 motor and it handles it quite well. Get like a 150 shot of spray going and you will have no problems keeping up. Other then that after you install the bottle get some upgraded tires so they do not fly apart as you are roasting busas off the line and down the strights. New exhust would be cool but its more cosmetic/sound.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:12 AM
Registered Member

tundrafiend01 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by duder
Where is the smog equipment and how easy is it to remove? Does it affect inspection?

Where are the pilot screws?

I'm a little weary about drilling any holes in my bike, I have literally no idea what I'm doing.
Look here for the diagram. Look at part# 16126 and all associated parts. This is your emissions system. You will need this part to finish the removal of the system, or you can rig the existing part to make a good seal. You will also need to seal the hole where the smog tube enters the air box and plug the vaccuum nipple on the head.

It sounds complicated, but it isn't bad. Maybe this winter I will write up a how-to with pics since I probably won't ride much.

As far as the pilot screws, you'll have to pull the carbs to get to them without bending your fingers in 6 places... I checked the microfiche online, but it only displays the pilot screw cap. Yes, they put a cap on the pilot screw to keep people from messing with them...

If this is something you want to do on your own, you can bring your bike by and I'll show you where everything is. If not, take it to skr00z, he'll take good care of you.

Last edited by tundrafiend01; 10-11-2006 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:24 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by duder
skrooz, would you do a package deal for sprockets, and undertail kit? If so, can you shoot me an estimation and would you order the parts or me?
define undertail kit. you mean just trimming the factory "mud flap" for a cleaner look?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:33 PM
d00d

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
define undertail kit. you mean just trimming the factory "mud flap" for a cleaner look?
well there's that option, and there's also a $30 part at ninja customs. As far as trimming the tail, what can you do?

Quick Reply: A few upgrades?