Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Starting issues

Old 07-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
twinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Starting issues

the problem is getting worse as I drive the car, the car starts at first start but after I drive it for a little while and turn off and then when I restartd it doesnt even crank over. I hear a low whistle and radio/ ac still works so that car does have power still.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Starting issues

That sounds like a problem with the starter or starter solenoid. The whistling you're hearing is probably the starter windings trying to turn with not enough voltage. It's pretty similar to how a cordless drill sounds when the battery pack dies and the drill just whines instead of rotates.

Most likely you have a power/ground problem between the starter and starter solenoid or between the battery and starter solenoid, or a ground problem between the engine block and battery.

A power or ground problem can also affect the ECU (and attached things like the O2 sensors) so the problem starting and the problem running are most likely related. Luckily it's really easy to troubleshoot a problem where the engine isn't turning over, because that means there is a major power/ground problem which is really easy to spot with a multimeter.