Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

vtec problem

Old 08-15-2005, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nonphixion46 has disabled reputation
Default Re: vtec problem

ok, now i dont claim to be honda expert, so i understand everything except what the last person said. I have no problem ohming out the vtec wires that go to the solinoid, i understand that, but when you start talking about wires near the ecu, i will never know whats what and ill end up fucking something up.2. ok ill check the screen tomarrow and looking into getting a new solinoid with a new screen. how much will one run me and is it somthing someone on drag might have. well acutually lot of us are honda freaks so im sure someone has a good solinoid hanging around.?
Old 08-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO

buy a new solenoid from honda..

here is a post on hondaswap
http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showforum=10

i dont knwo what ecu you are running but go there and look for whatever..ecu you might have...and see if someone is having the same prob
Old 08-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Boost Freak

bOOsTiNb18b has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by nonphixion46
it didnt seem to do this before i did a full tune up . but my vtec seems to drop off and come back on once i hit like 7 grand, it doesnt do it at the same rpm everytime, its random, but it is when im getting on it, not around 6 or anything. i can feel both first and second stage vtec fading in and out. so where do you think my problem lies. what should i start checking first? any help is usefull for me. thank you.
Dan. oh its a B18C
wouldnt you throw a code if that was occuring?
Old 08-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You don't have multi-stage vtec...
One possibility is that you're having fuel problems, and another is that you're knocking. The ECU will cut timing if you're knocking, and that can feel like a really vague power loss. It may be subtle enough so you can't hear it.
What did you do during your "full tune up"?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:40 PM

damn rain, cant work on shit. oh well. i had changed some gaskets, filled oil to exactly the correct amount, in a last ditch effort to solve the problem. no luck/ vtec is fine till about 6.5-7 grand in third. i dont know about fourth or fifth cause i get pissed and let off the gas. but still there are things i dont know. what computer im running.(i found a unhooked ground in the engine bay. i tested it with my meter with a power source to the ground wire and yeah it was a ground, so i gounded it. turns out now my check engine light stays on now so i assume it was unhooked to take the light out. if someone can tell me where to look on my ecu for the model of it ill run out in the rain to check it so i can continue my research. any other thoughts are greatly appreated. while i hate the vtec problem i do enjoy the learning that comes from it
Old 08-16-2005, 04:18 PM

maybe it has something to do with the fuel filter i changed?. with the tune up i changed all the prevenative maintinance stuff, everything except for checking the timing
Old 08-17-2005, 06:30 PM

ok, im throwing a code 7 which is my thottle position sensor. and the ground wire i found loose in the engine bay last weekend is in the same vacinity as the tps. so i figure whoever had this problem with this before i had the car unhooked it. Now the thing is my car was having the vtec issue before i found that ground wire and even hooked it up so i could or could not be related. unless running without it hooked up is the issue. but there is a foul in that idea because everything has been working fine up intill two weeks ago. just catching up anyone that cares. im gonna take off the solinoid tomarrow and see if its clogged.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:42 PM

bump for anyone to read if they havent already, and to leave any thoughts or bump some knowledge
Old 08-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Bearded.

i dont know of any grounds that are in the vacinity of the TPS...

there should be grounds form the chassis to the valve cover, from the chassis to the tranny, and from the battery to the chassis

look on the side of the ECU to see what kind it is...you might have to un-bolt it from the floor and all that good stuff but there should be liek a bar code with a bunch of numbers and shit...

it should say something liek xxx-p28-xxx something or other
Old 08-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Bearded.

you might have a TPS leak...there is no fluid in the tps its all VACCUM so...it has to be air tight for it to work properly..so check that too..maybe a screw is lose, or a busted /cracked gasket..and shit

you cannot buy a TPS gasket/TPS sensor anywhere, honda only sells them on their throttle bodies with all sensors and gaskets attached and they cost $580ish...so you might want to invest in a roll of gasket maker shit ...and make your own TPS gasket if the one you have now is fucked...well im sure it will be if you take the TPS off

i know what you are going through ...my crx is throwing the tps code too..so..
good luck