Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Has anyone heard of Mr2s coming stock twin turbo?

Old 03-27-2003, 10:14 PM
eng
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

Originally posted by Mr.2
little more info.
Info about what? Just looks like times at a recent drag racing event in .jp

Which ones are TT? All the MR2 pictures I saw just had giant singles ... T88 like whoa.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:14 AM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

okay, the 20R is the engine that went into trucks from the 80's till the 22R came into play. the 20R also found residence in the early Celicas MkII or III maybe. The 20R head flowed much better than the later 22R, but the 22R had bigger displacement. This made for a great hybrid combining better flowing head with larger displacement bottom-end. many old schoolers do this up to the present day.
the Toyotas that were campaigned by Dan Gurney's AAR team, driven by Juan Fangio II and P.J. Jones in the 90's IMSA GTP circuit were powered by 2.1L "heavily turbocharged" 1000hp (700-750 in qualifying trim)Toyota engines. i'm trying to find my info, but i think i remember the prototype(s) being twin turbo. i'll have to check.
update: they were single turbo.

Last edited by ToyotaTechGeek; 03-28-2003 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:06 PM
i probably hate you

Mr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these parts

Originally posted by eng
Info about what? Just looks like times at a recent drag racing event in .jp

Which ones are TT? All the MR2 pictures I saw just had giant singles ... T88 like whoa.
oops, wrong link this is it
Old 03-28-2003, 12:11 PM
i probably hate you

Mr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these parts

tony, stop knowing everything. are you talking abut the 503e's? those were single turbo.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:36 PM
LTDTEAM.COM

Rockybling can only hope to improve
Default turbo's

Originally posted by Mr.2
oops, wrong link this is it
they look pretty small to me! mines not big but that thing is small!
Old 03-28-2003, 06:57 PM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

yeah, what, i'm not allowed to use my 'geek' status to know?!?!?!
Old 03-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Doin' (today) stuff

DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS

a much better alternative would be to use the late model 3.0l V-6 found in some toyota's combined with the TRD supercharger kit. (used on the 2wd TRD Tacoma street truck i believe). I've read they fit alot better than the stock 4cyl turbo setup, and make much more power, especially int he low-to-mid range department..

but no a TT mr2 would be a VERY tight fit in that engine bay. plus like it was mentioned earlier TT on a 4cyl is not a very good setup. if you want TT get 2 more cylenders or a rotary...
Old 03-29-2003, 03:48 AM
brake/steer/throttle

i don't think that engine would be very good in a MkI at all. you must have read SCC or superstreet or something. that was a MkII. also, enjoy finding or making a trans work with a rotary in one of these things. a wankel in an MR2 would be blasphemous.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:45 AM
Doin' (today) stuff

DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS

Originally posted by ToyotaTechGeek
a wankel in an MR2 would be blasphemous.
Yeah but it'd be fast! No i wasn't talking about doing the super 6 swap in a mkI chassis, that'd be a little too tight. The mkII is a perfet fit. Yes i did read that SCC article. I can't wait to see the numbers after they get that thing tuned right....
Old 03-31-2003, 04:46 AM
LTDTEAM.COM

Rockybling can only hope to improve
Default boo

Originally posted by DoC-JoneS
Yeah but it'd be fast! No i wasn't talking about doing the super 6 swap in a mkI chassis, that'd be a little too tight. The mkII is a perfet fit. Yes i did read that SCC article. I can't wait to see the numbers after they get that thing tuned right....
i'd rather keep my 3sgte and work on that!

Quick Reply: Has anyone heard of Mr2s coming stock twin turbo?