Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Boost on which honda motor

Old 11-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dogg4217 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Boost on which honda motor

Originally Posted by sk8rmike
I'd just go LS, tune it well, and boost it pretty hard.
Why would you do this and its a daily driven car so I wouldn't be boosten it pretty hard just on track day.....give me reasons why you would do an ls/vtec swap thanks for the help
Old 11-27-2005, 10:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KYLE ROSE
Ultra spikey has the bottom end it actually is a b16a2 but even it it wasnt you would nt have a probelm with hooking it up since it is only the bottom end and not the head. Good luck on your build
Yeah thanks for the help but check this out....I got a d16a6 bottom end from a friend and we all know what car this motor cam from well we compared my d16y8 block to the a6 and the a6 doesn't have a crank positioning sensor and some other sensors on the back so I didn't even wanna figure out how to make the a6 block work in my car we thought it would throw codes all day and run like a terd....wouldn't this be the same effect if we ran a obd1 bottom end in a obd2 car....I did a post in clubcivic about hooking the a6 up in my car and no one on their could give me any help I guess you don't see many a6 blocks going in a 99 ex coupe. Let me know thanks
Old 11-27-2005, 10:28 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

Originally Posted by dogg4217
Why would you do this and its a daily driven car so I wouldn't be boosten it pretty hard just on track day.....give me reasons why you would do an ls/vtec swap thanks for the help
I wouldn't do an LS/vtec unless i was to build the block, which gets expensive. You can make good power on a boosted LS, because you can run a little higher boost on the LS with it's lower compression and run into fewer problems on pump gas without having to worry as much about reliability. A boosted LS is also going to put down much better torque than the b16 (it's a big difference going from the 1.6 block to the 1.8), so it's a little more fun to drive on the street. But mainly it would be cheaper and still put down what you're looking for without building the motor.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sk8rmike
I wouldn't do an LS/vtec unless i was to build the block, which gets expensive. You can make good power on a boosted LS, because you can run a little higher boost on the LS with it's lower compression and run into fewer problems on pump gas without having to worry as much about reliability. A boosted LS is also going to put down much better torque than the b16 (it's a big difference going from the 1.6 block to the 1.8), so it's a little more fun to drive on the street. But mainly it would be cheaper and still put down what you're looking for without building the motor.
But I am going to build the motor and I will be running a vtec head if I ran this setup thats why I post such a long post for my first one so I wouldn't have to explain anything I put on their exactly what I was looking to....the block will be built it will be a vtec head I am doing it right the first time cause its daily driven and I don't want to pull the block out again unless something happens but I want the extra security that I know I at least built the block and not running stock internals. If I can build a motor to support 500hp and I run a safe 300whp then I am happy its not a drag queen it will be a reliable every day driver. Thanks for giving advice between a 1.6 and a 1.8 I def. would like the extra torque for stop and go driving since hondas need all the torque then can get.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Tetronious is an unknown quantity at this point

But I am going to build the motor and I will be running a vtec head if I ran this setup thats why I post such a long post for my first one so I wouldn't have to explain anything I put on their exactly what I was looking to....the block will be built it will be a vtec head I am doing it right the first time cause its daily driven and I don't want to pull the block out again unless something happens but I want the extra security that I know I at least built the block and not running stock internals. If I can build a motor to support 500hp and I run a safe 300whp then I am happy its not a drag queen it will be a reliable every day driver. Thanks for giving advice between a 1.6 and a 1.8 I def. would like the extra torque for stop and go driving since hondas need all the torque then can get.

Dude. Why even waste your money on a motor swap. When you could just build the motor you have now and throw the boost too it. Your d16y8 has potential. With a few internal reinforcements, the right kind of turbo and manifold setup and a good fuel mangement tuning you can easily obtain 250-300hp daily.

Check out this dudes setup..
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1027900
286hp and 218ft/lbs of torque. Not bad for a SOHC.
I found that as a quick reference, but I have read of a few people putting down 400+hp out of a d-series.

But if you are set on putting a B-series in I would suggest going with a B18C or B18B.. Sure the B16 is fine, but your torque numbers are still going to be lower than compared to a turbo B18. Plus you could get just as much torque or sometimes more out of a turbo D16.

Good luck...

Last edited by Tetronious; 11-29-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tetronious
Dude. Why even waste your money on a motor swap. When you could just build the motor you have now and throw the boost too it. Your d16y8 has potential. With a few internal reinforcements, the right kind of turbo and manifold setup and a good fuel mangement tuning you can easily obtain 250-300hp daily.

Check out this dudes setup..
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1027900
286hp and 218ft/lbs of torque. Not bad for a SOHC.
I found that as a quick reference, but I have read of a few people putting down 400+hp out of a d-series.

But if you are set on putting a B-series in I would suggest going with a B18C or B18B.. Sure the B16 is fine, but your torque numbers are still going to be lower than compared to a turbo B18. Plus you could get just as much torque or sometimes more out of a turbo D16.

Good luck...

Thats not if an option the y8 doesn't flow as good as a b-series vtec head plus you have a lot more timing options with a dual cam. Not to mention the d-series rods are weak, not to mention it has small bore at only 75mm were as a stock b-series as 81mm bore size and if you bore the d-series over stock the walls are more flexible, not saying a d-series is bad cause they can hit 10sec 1/4 miles but I want the b-series with the better timing options and the better strength and flow. Thats why I didn't even want to mess with my d16y8. Not to mention I can get a b18b for like $800 for the whole swap. 1.8 equals more torque which Honda's need and a d16y8 has no torque
Old 11-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Banned

Tetronious.....I live near Harrisonburg to what car do you drive maybe I have seen it?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:44 AM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

Thats not if an option the y8 doesn't flow as good as a b-series vtec head plus you have a lot more timing options with a dual cam. Not to mention the d-series rods are weak, not to mention it has small bore at only 75mm were as a stock b-series as 81mm bore size and if you bore the d-series over stock the walls are more flexible, not saying a d-series is bad cause they can hit 10sec 1/4 miles but I want the b-series with the better timing options and the better strength and flow. Thats why I didn't even want to mess with my d16y8. Not to mention I can get a b18b for like $800 for the whole swap. 1.8 equals more torque which Honda's need and a d16y8 has no torque
If you are going to build it fully, everything you mentioned there pretty much doesn't matter. Sleeves + aftermarket rods take care of the weak bottom end, and a good port/polish and valve job take care of the flow.

Anyways, since you are planning on spending a good deal of money on it, just get the LS longblock, sell the head, sleeve the bottom end/stroke it out to a 2.0L, and throw a VTEC head on it. I wouldn't even worry about doing anything to the head other than cam gears + cams because honestly you would be wasting some extra money if you're only shooting for the ~300-350whp range.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Ah yes, a b18b is a good and efficent block for boost. Your right on the b-series advantages. A much better starting point compared to a d.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Tetronious.....I live near Harrisonburg to what car do you drive maybe I have seen it?
Milano Red Civic SI Turboed

Quick Reply: Boost on which honda motor