Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Car still wont start

Old 09-11-2006, 06:45 PM
7FIVE7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jstabb1 can only hope to improve
Default Re: Car still wont start

Ok i will try these steps tomamrow. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:06 AM
7FIVE7

checked the ecu and everything looked fine.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Banned

run4cover is an unknown quantity at this point

don't now if honda starters are like nissans, but if so, there's a small one wire plug on the starter (looks kinda like a speaker connector)...make sure it's on the starter for one, and also make sure it's not corroded inside....if that wire isn't making contact, the starter won't even attempt to turn over. I know this is true for nissans...may apply to hondas too.

may want to get a buddy and a multimeter and check for 12 volts at the starter when the ignition is set to 'start'....sounds like you may have a problem in your start circuit.....so....start with simple things...ign fuse...then the safety switch on your clutch, ignition relay.....I don't remember right off the top of my head what else is in the system....hope that helps.

side note; was the car running and ingested water? or did the water just rise that high...I didn't see your other thread...sorry.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Banned

run4cover is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yeah, that whistle you heard when you turned on the key was most likely your fuel pump priming...should last momentarily. Easy way to tell if your engine is locked....get 2 buddies....push the car with the clutch pressed and the car in 5th...let off clutch.....if you all break your faces because of the suddend stop, the engine is probably seized....it should turn over though....

...just trying to throw some ideas your way before i head off to work.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

SS Automotive has disabled reputation

I assume your car was running when this happened? even siezed the starter should make some sort of sound when it tries to turn the engine even it its a bucha racket trying to engage a non moving flywheel. it sounds to me like power isint making it to the starter. first do what some of these guys have recomended and try to roll the car and make the engine turnover to see if its siezed, you really should be able to move that engine by hand with a ratchet on the crank bolt. also check all connections to the starter and check em with a voltmeter. one thing you can also check is see if you have a messed up ground somewhere. more often then not people are chsing an electircal problem and ignore the grounds when thats the problem.

Good luck!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:28 AM
7FIVE7

Yes, i started the car in attemp to move it to higher grounds and i got it moved about 25 feet and it died. I check the start and replaced it. I ran a wire from the starter to the positive terminal on the battery and the starter wines up but no action, which i was told was a was to bypass the saftey switch to roll out a bad switch. I will check the ground wires and everything that is lower on the car, maybe the water shorter something.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:15 PM
7FIVE7

I tried to hand crank it today and the son of a bitch didn't move one bit so im guessing bent valves, which means rebuilding the head or getting a new head. Thanks to all for the help and info and i will keep you informed.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:24 PM
UNCEUNCEUNCEUNCEUNCE

boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband

Um, you did try to crank on the crank bolt, right? If the *crank* didn't move, then it's not going to be the head that's got the issue. Sounds like you might have hydrolocked the motor and bent a rod, which is in the bottom end.

Get a new motor and drop it in. Then yank the old one, build it for all motor and go from there.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:35 PM
7FIVE7

Yes i tried to crank the bolt, im a n00b when it comes to this shit, and i'm going by what a good family mecanic is telling me. He says if you can crank the crank then something in the head is messed up.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:38 PM
UNCEUNCEUNCEUNCEUNCE

boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband

Okay. You still didn't answer the question - you tried to crank on the crank bolt and it *would not* move? If that's the case, then you more than likely bent a rod, which basically means pull the motor and rebuild.

Save some money and just swap it.

Quick Reply: Car still wont start