Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

question about the rx-8

Old 09-27-2003, 07:37 PM
spin baby spin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZoomZoomH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by FutureProspect
185whp????

they weigh like 3000lbs....

mazda made a big oops on the power department here.
eh, did you read that article on rotarynews.com?

basically the car is un-dynoable, the ECU goes into a protected mode at high RPM (eg cuts out power) when it detects significant difference in speed between front and rear wheels.

It makes more to the wheels on the road.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:39 PM
spin baby spin

as a side note, with the exception of the very few road racers and autocrossers on this forum, I highly doubt anyone would appreciate this car more than a 13 sec. Honda Civic built solely for drag
Old 09-27-2003, 08:54 PM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

I would buy that argument if we were talking about a Lotus Elise or a S2K, but IMO the RX8 is just a "sporty" family sedan. Besides, real sports cars don't have a back seat.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:04 PM
spin baby spin

family sedans don't have a backbone tunnel running down the middle of the car and 50/50 weight distribution
Old 09-27-2003, 09:34 PM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

hey, I said it was sporty

...but I'll admit I'm biased. You'll never get me to like the RX-8 just for the fact that Mazda put all the R/D money to build a somewhat quick trendy coupe when they should have spent more time getting a reborn RX-7 back into production.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:44 AM
Smut Peddler

Cyberdemon is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll get your RX7...just you wait.

I'm not a huge fan of the RX8 but its a nice car. As far as cars around that price range I'd much rather have something like a 350Z/G35 Coupe. I wish they would've kept the RX8 as a turbo, but if they manage to push the new RX7 within the next year or two it should definately be a pretty impressive machine.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:09 AM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

Originally posted by ZoomZoomH
eh, did you read that article on rotarynews.com?

basically the car is un-dynoable, the ECU goes into a protected mode at high RPM (eg cuts out power) when it detects significant difference in speed between front and rear wheels.

It makes more to the wheels on the road.
thats a form of traction control just like dcs on e46 m3's....but that doesnt make it un-dynoble. if it was making more power on the street...then why are people hitting at best high 14's with a low 90's trap.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:46 AM
Rotors

JT-SPD JT-SPD JT-SPD JT-SPD

What Mazda is doing with the RX-8 is being conservative with the reintroduction of the rotary so that it will appeal to many people. Mazda got its ass kicked by the third generation RX-7, because Mazda dealers didn't know a rotary and their ingeniously setup vacuum tubes *hint of sarcasm" from their sisters tits. So when ever there was a problem they would just replace the engine *note under warrantee* so Mazda ended up losing a lot of money. They are just testing the water to see if Americans are ready for the rotor yet. They would be dumb not to be conservative with the RX-8. If sales continue then we will have a *crosses fingers* uncompromised sports car....RX-7 BABY YEA! If you haven’t guessed yet yes I am a rotor head.