Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

auto tech schools.....Help !!!!!

Old 04-14-2009 | 07:10 PM
Registered Member

famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride
Default Re: auto tech schools.....Help !!!!!

Originally Posted by importfanatic
I took the Associates program at ATI. It was frickin horrible. I don't reccomend anyone to go there. You do not get what you pay for and most of the students there weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer...although they think they are. The only good things I got out of ATI were my friends in the apartment complex they put me in.

My $0.02.
Couldnt of said it any better. Best thing your son could do is go to a reputable shop, and learn from others that are willing to teach.
Old 04-14-2009 | 07:28 PM
Sparkle Motion

jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539 jt223539

Originally Posted by importfanatic
I took the Associates program at ATI. It was frickin horrible. I don't reccomend anyone to go there. You do not get what you pay for and most of the students there weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer...although they think they are. The only good things I got out of ATI were my friends in the apartment complex they put me in.

My $0.02.
Agreed, my buddy goes to the ATI campus in Morrisville right now, he hates every minute of it. Says the knowledge you get is ok, but really for 30k? Go to TCC and pay a forth of that for the same education.

Enroll at TCC and save some money.
Old 04-14-2009 | 07:33 PM
Registered Member

GearJDM has disabled reputation

I'm only 18 and i have been in the business as a tech and now a car salesman.. trust me get him i job as an oil lube guy, and he will see how bad the industry is hurting and will want to go to collage for a different degree

i understand it could be a passion, as working on car and driving them is mine.. i would hope that he has a chance to go threw the work force before blowing allot of money on school.

if he still chooses to go to UTI or something like that, dealership are willing to pay for techs to go threw school or help out with the tuition in one way or another..but that's not always a givin
Old 04-15-2009 | 03:44 AM
RevTek

calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol

ATI IS A JOKE!!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY OR TIME THERE LIKE I DID!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2009 | 04:26 AM
Anti "DONK"

ShortyzKustomz has disabled reputation

Depends on what hes going for, I spent 36k at Wyotech for autobody, Sent 60 resumes, only got 2 calls and was laid off 2 months later... Trust me I learned a good amount but that doesnt mean much when you cant do anything with it. I learned more working in a shop about how the industry really goes

Last edited by ShortyzKustomz; 04-15-2009 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2009 | 06:19 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Holy shit, those schools cost upwards of $30k? That's almost as bad as culinary school for the education money spent versus the actual job income.
Old 04-15-2009 | 06:41 AM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Holy shit, those schools cost upwards of $30k? That's almost as bad as culinary school for the education money spent versus the actual job income.
Yup. Almost all the “speciality” schools are extremely expensive.

One would probably better off getting a general degree from a community college while having at least 1 (if not more) part-time jobs or internships in the automotive field. That way you'd get a feel for what the work is like while getting something that would be useful even if you decided not to pursue a career in that field. The fact that it would be significantly cheaper is merely a bonus.
Old 04-15-2009 | 07:11 AM
Registered Member

BlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to behold

I have a few friends that went to UTI, one is working at porsche now and loves it.
Old 04-15-2009 | 07:34 AM
Registered Member

91se-r is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the Community College/part time job approach. Less money and better chance at really making it.
Old 04-15-2009 | 08:10 AM
That's not gone well

Zero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud of

I know that at least Northern Virgina Community College has degree programs for Automotive stuff, for way way cheaper than 30k...

Quick Reply: auto tech schools.....Help !!!!!