Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Review: 3M Headlight Restoration Kit

Old 07-18-2009, 07:02 PM
nortaP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded
Default Re: Review: 3M Headlight Restoration Kit

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Whether a fix like that holds up to time or not depends on what the problem actually was. If the problem is haze from scratches, the fix will last until the headlights get scratched enough to make them hazy again. If the problem is plastic oxidation (usually the plastic is too dry), the fix usually won't last because you're just adding chemicals back into the plastic. Given a little time, the chemicals will get removed it will look the same. It's kind of like using moisturizing lotion after washing your hands. The lotion works for a while or until you wash your hands again.

I'm assuming that because the car is so new, and it's a Honda (very good plastic chemistry) that you just had haze scratches and the polish job should last a long time. If you have a Neon or Cavalier or something (domestics often have horrible headlight plastic) then it may not last very long because the problem is usually oxidation or UV embrittlement. Usually the newer the car, the better the plastic technology too. Modern polymer chemistry is cool.
It's not really domestics it's cars from the 90s. Nissan is by far the worst i've ever seen. And some cars like 97ish Bonnievilles don't seem to oxidize at all.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:19 PM

Kim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud of

meguiers ( i think) plastic x or plastix works fucking good too.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Reloaded
It's not really domestics it's cars from the 90s. Nissan is by far the worst i've ever seen. And some cars like 97ish Bonnievilles don't seem to oxidize at all.

Eh, not really important. That was just my personal observations.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

bonestock94 has disabled reputation

I gave up on this struggle long ago. You'll eventually just buy replacements. That's not a cheap proposition with an RSX though. I heard you can maintain the shine longer by waxing(just regular automotive wax) the headlights like every month.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:54 PM
NUMBER4

fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish

Used this kit a couple months ago. Headlights are still looking great. I also coat my headlights with a synthetic wax about once a month.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:34 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Good thing I have sealed beams.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:04 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

I think people look too far into this. I just wet sand them and then polish them out with Adam's metal polish. I think most of these "kits" are overpriced marketing tools. A little wet sand, some polish, and a layer of wax every now and then.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Registered member

henryt26 henryt26 henryt26 henryt26 henryt26 henryt26 henryt26 henryt26 henryt26 henryt26 henryt26

Have you guys ever thought about clear coating your headlights after you restore them.I have and they last much much longer.I went to my local pepboys and bought a small can of dupli-color clear coat and sprayed a couple coats on.Make sure your headlights are on, it kind of heats the paint so it cures and adheres better.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by henryt26
Have you guys ever thought about clear coating your headlights after you restore them.I have and they last much much longer.I went to my local pepboys and bought a small can of dupli-color clear coat and sprayed a couple coats on.Make sure your headlights are on, it kind of heats the paint so it cures and adheres better.
That's great but the clearcoat will cause light to reflect and/or refract light where the clearcoat meets the clear lens and will make the headlights less bright. You can't just coat a lens and expect it to perform as well unless it's a specialty optical coating. That and a spray-on coating doesn't make a very flat surface, so that doesn't help.

As a side note, this is why tear-offs for helmet visors sometimes come with the visor. The optical interface between different materials can be very difficult..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 07-19-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:32 PM
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

Originally Posted by Flite
I think people look too far into this. I just wet sand them and then polish them out with Adam's metal polish. I think most of these "kits" are overpriced marketing tools. A little wet sand, some polish, and a layer of wax every now and then.
For $8 the Turtle Wax kit really isn't that bad.

Quick Reply: Review: 3M Headlight Restoration Kit