Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Super dumb but I have to ask.. testpipe

Old 09-22-2009, 07:39 PM
やくざに成りたい

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atmdc has disabled reputation
Default Re: Super dumb but I have to ask.. testpipe

Originally Posted by BentValve
Not sure if you explained why you wanted to do this. I hope you aren't expecting a lot of gains from it.
Well to be honest you do dumb shit when youve been at home all day and cant find work. But I was trying to figure out a way to make a cheap "resonated" test pipe out of materials i had available to me.

Originally Posted by ILLEGAL
oh it will def be faster with a test pipe. The problem you have with the age of the car, is you still have to do the sniffer test to pass emissions. Are you just gonna swap it back everytime?
I have already run test pipe setups on the same exhaust system. I had to cut the test pipe in order to weld the ends to the universal cat. but now I live in NC and they dont seem to mind the exhaust notes here like they did in VA. No emissions testing.

Originally Posted by BentValve
A test pipe on a B16 might get you 5hp, emphasis on might. After frictional loses, you will be lucky to see 1hp. Then you have to deal with emissions and smelling fumes at a stop. If you are willing to sacrifice all that for next to nothing, good luck.
I know the gains are minimal as I have had a test pipe setup before in this same setup. it was a bit raspy with the regular test pipe so I wanted something resonated of some sort.

Originally Posted by shonanspeed
Okay- I got you on the super cheap test pipe. Get the cheap exhaust flexpipe from autozone, remove cat, band flexpipe on. Insta-test pipe. I had to do it once as a quick fix on my old rx7- mine broke and I needed to get home 2 hours away.
No thanks haha
Old 09-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So it sounds like you need a resonator in your exhaust somewhere, not a test pipe. Gutting a cat would not do the same thing.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:19 PM
やくざに成りたい

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
So it sounds like you need a resonator in your exhaust somewhere, not a test pipe. Gutting a cat would not do the same thing.
I have a resonator in the piping, there was a small amount of rasp between 3500 and 4000rpm without it before. maybe a longer resonator? or a better one?

with the cat there is no rasp at all. only with the test pipe in there was
Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The cat is smoothing out the exhaust flow, which is the difference. Resonators have a RPM band that they are tuned for (you might say it's the 'resonant band') and they don't work as well when you are above or below that band. The raspy area is a hole in the resonant response, and the cat is smoothing out the individual exhaust pulses enough that the resonator doesn't respond the same way.

If you have a fairly stock B16, the cat probably isn't doing too much to hurt power output, and if you like the way it sounds with the cat, keep it.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:47 PM
やくざに成りたい

The cat is smoothing out the exhaust flow, which is the difference. Resonators have a RPM band that they are tuned for (you might say it's the 'resonant band') and they don't work as well when you are above or below that band. The raspy area is a hole in the resonant response, and the cat is smoothing out the individual exhaust pulses enough that the resonator doesn't respond the same way.

If you have a fairly stock B16, the cat probably isn't doing too much to hurt power output, and if you like the way it sounds with the cat, keep it.
alright fair enough. i'll prolly keep it. but it liked the way it sounded without the cat minus that small rasp. it sounded similar to these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAQ_k...om=PL&index=40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qgN1aVvPkE
Old 09-23-2009, 04:43 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

Frictional losses from an exhaust? What?

So putting on a test pipe gains 5HP, but then something else takes away 4HP? So if you gain 1HP, you didn't gain 5HP because you wouldn't be able to measure the 5HP if you only gained 1HP.. So you gain 1HP. Not 5.

And why would you lose 80% as friction anyway? That would mean a B16 makes 800HP but only puts out 160 because of friction (do the math, it's the same ratio). Something about the tiny size of the OEM radiator doesn't make sense all of a sudden if 640HP is lost as friction (heat).
Over complicate much? Jeez. Even the OP knew what I was talking about.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:52 AM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

someone need to +rep Fabrik8 for this.....i would ..again...but cant this statement he made is very enlightening..