Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Audi/VW owners input needed!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
h22_Lude has disabled reputation
Default Re: Audi/VW owners input needed!!!

alright cool, im going to check it out tomorrow or friday. I was thinking if i tried to sell it i could probably get 5000 out of it. ill probably just keep it as a beater
Old 02-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Ez8
CHEERS FOR BIG REARS

Ez8 has disabled reputation

if you're going to sell it, you should be able to sell it somewhere in the 10k range depending on who and where you sell it (hell I know guys that are selling theirs for just over 20k with what I would consider lightly modded). and trust me when I say, this is not the car to daily or use as a beater. Garage queen/ weekend warrior best suited for these cars...
Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

ok cool, hopefully things will work out. ill post some pics when i get some
Old 02-24-2010, 08:56 PM
FckYoCouch

rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin

FWIW....

I just did a quick Autotrader search... found 54 listings for 2001 S4's nationwide... Most expensive was $15,000 with 54k miles and least expensive was $6,999 with 166k miles...

Seems to be right on with his price....

***edit: The $15k one was from a private seller... $6.9k was from dealership w/ 4 year warranty...

Last edited by rtcarlin; 02-24-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:57 PM
1 happy dude

snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad

are those the motors that cook stock turbos after a while?
the same ones that require a engine lft to get to the turbos?
dunno, the rest sounds fair, but tell you what, have the dealer or a reputable Audi performace shop give it a thorough inspection, if they say its a go, then go for it.

but the deal does sound like hes either desperate for a bike or trying to find a sucka.

may i ask what kind of bike you have thats so enticing to him?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

B14SERClone has disabled reputation

Yes, and yes....they are wonderful cars but known to be a pain. I was a german car nut for quite awhile..vw/audi/bmw...and after working on many of them...not so much anymore! You can make massive power with them, but it's expensive, and routine maintenance isn't optional, nor does it have much leeway for when it should be completed! As Ez8 said, not a very good choice for a daily, and the turbo's are known to fail.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:13 AM
This.isEntertainment

Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn

have fun when the turbos go out, you have to pull the motor... and its not easy nor fun.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:29 AM
Ez8
CHEERS FOR BIG REARS

Ez8 has disabled reputation

You don't don't have to pull the motor to replace the turbos if they fail, its just a simple matter of pulling off the front end and then knowing where to go from there. It's not that bad of a car to work on and parts can be had at a "decent" price (group buys are a wonderful thing on audizine.com lol). As far as selling it goes, if you look on audi forums 10k is almost like a base price if the s4 is "clean" and hasn't been beatin on. You can make damn good power with this car for under 5k and walk a lot of people, while still being close to what most s4 tunners would consider stock. If you do trade for it the first thing you need to buy is vag-com, it'll become your best friend and the best money you'll ever spend on that car...
Old 02-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Red is the new green

NoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these parts

and when you go to look at it, see if the guy is willing to let the car sit for at least 4 hours before you arrive so its cold when you go to start it. EVERY turbo car ive ever seen, audi, bmw, vw, mazda whatever....if the motor has issues...you can see some sign of it on start up.

after you get the car warmed up to FULL operating temp, have him rev the motor once to within 1k of redline while you are behind it to see if its smoking at all, that will let you know if turbos are starting to go.
if the turbos are bad, a rebuild kit can be had for cheap.

also, after your test drive, let the motor idle for about 30 seconds or so to let the turbos slow down and turn off the car, wait a few seconds and turn the car back on. this will let you know about compression issues, a warmed up car with warn rings will be hard to start.

and if the car fax looks clean, i would still check for over spray or previous repairs. normally cars in that mile range will have had some sort of accident, the easiest way i have found is pop the hood and run your finger along the line just inside the fender that the hood covers up. it will feel like 800grit, or really fine sand paper, do this around the car, open the doors and do the same on the door jams.

AND PLEASE LOOK AT THE CAR IN THE DAY TIME!!!

if it is pretty bright outside, bring a small mirror so you can peek under the car and look for frame damage. at this time you can also look for oil leaks, tranny damage from bottoming out etc. etc.

good luck and hope all goes well
Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

thanks for all of the input, and yes of course I would look at it during the day. Also I was looking at the vag-com thing, from what ive gathered its just a personal diagnostic thing right? you cant upgrade and performance option can you?

Quick Reply: Audi/VW owners input needed!!!