Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

should throttle body size match opening on intake manifold?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: should throttle body size match opening on intake manifold?

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Here are some of the parts involved btw
Wow. I wonder what happens with the far cylinders at high flow. That's the intake equivalent of a log-style exhaust manifold, sort of... I've actually seen very similar setups to that, but inverted so the shoebox is on the top. The 350Z intake manifolds are roughly similar to that also I think.

Cool oil pan, is that a factory piece?

If you have time/money/ambition/underhood space, you should make a more traditional manifold setup and use a modern MAF or MAP. The valve covers look like they would set the hood clearance height, and you could probably stuff some long intake runners in the valley. Those intake ports make me drool by the way, it's really cool that they're perfectly circular. So easy to make runners...

I've left the realm of working with what you already have, and have now entered the land of "let's make a badass race setup".
Old 04-29-2010, 10:43 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
The bigger throttle body would only be for greater flow.

If you want to polish something, polish the inside of the 8 outlet ports on the shoebox. If it's a multi-piece shoebox, you could internally polish the whole thing, but the gains will depend on what the surface finish already is, etc..

Arguably the best possible thing you could probably do is to make the shoebox deeper, so there is more space between the 8 outlets and the floor of the shoebox. Then you lose a little velocity (because of the greater volume) but gain a straighter flow path into the 8 outlets. Those outlets, and the runners they attach to, are really what sets most of the velocity into the head. The shoebox should affect the velocity a little, but mostly it's the geometry of the damn thing that will have the most effect on how well it works. It's the same reason that you see velocity stacks on race engines. A plenum box will be around them, but the best thing a plenum box can do is to not interfere with the velocity stacks. There are the obvious tradeoffs with plenum volume and throttle response too, but poor geometry is one of the worst things you can possibly have, because then you can't make the best of the other parts you're working with.

I'm starting to ramble, sorry.

Remember though, the biggest flow restriction is always a throttle plate that isn't open all the way.
Yeah, thats another benefit of this lower manifold - it's deeper than what I have in there (what I have in there is for the 5 liter, this one is for the 5.6 liter, though I just discovered a secret AMG part number for the 5 liter, going to have to figure out what that's about and if it's available). It's one piece, though there is an access port in the bottom for some reason

This will give you an idea of the level of finish

And yeah, I didn't make a mistake so simple as a throttle that isn't opening all the way
Old 04-29-2010, 10:48 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Wow. I wonder what happens with the far cylinders at high flow. That's the intake equivalent of a log-style exhaust manifold, sort of...

Cool oil pan, is that a factory piece?

If you have time/money/ambition/underhood space, you should make a more traditional manifold setup and use a modern MAF or MAP. The valve covers look like they would set the hood clearance height, and you could probably stuff some long intake runners in the valley. Those intake ports make me drool by the way, it's really cool that they're perfectly circular. So easy to make runners...

I've left the realm of working with what you already have, and have now entered the land of "let's make a badass race setup".
Yep, that's a factory oil pan. 8.5qts at an oil/filter change baby.

As far as getting someone to make me custom stuff....nobody is interested in making custom stuff for an engine they have never seen before nor will see again. The few custom stuff I have gotten has required time, begging, and lots of money.

The air filter housing is actually what sets the hood clearance height, and as you can see it sits a good bit higher than the valve covers (well, actually the false firewall sets it...)

(there have been changes made since then, like a third air intake line and reflect-a-gold all over the air intake housing.

Last edited by marlinspike; 04-29-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

No, I was saying that the throttle plate is obviously always restricting flow, unless you're at wide open throttle. That's how it works.

Yeah, it definitely can't hurt to clean up around those outlet ports. If that's a one piece casting, that's going to be pretty hard to access much else though.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:50 PM
ATGATT

No, I was saying that the throttle plate is obviously always restricting flow, unless you're at wide open throttle. That's how it works.
There's a setting other than full throttle? I've just been using that pedal like an on/off switch
Old 04-29-2010, 10:52 PM
ATGATT

Oh, btw, there is a guy in Estonia making a corvette-like manifold for these, but I really don't feel like dealing with megasquirt and that's what his setup requires. I'm able to get a perfect AFR map (when the digital component I bought for my mechanical injection works, right now I'm on the back-up full mechanical set up and it gets a decent curve but not perfect).
Old 04-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Racetracks

Yep, that's a factory oil pan. 8.5qts at an oil/filter change baby.

As far as getting someone to make me custom stuff....nobody is interested in making custom stuff for an engine they have never seen before nor will see again. The few custom stuff I have gotten has required time, begging, and lots of money.

The air filter housing is actually what sets the hood clearance height, and as you can see it sits a good bit higher than the valve covers

(there have been changes made since then, like a third air intake line and reflect-a-gold all over the air intake housing.
Depends if they actually want to make money or not. Plenty of race fab shops would make you a manifold in a second. It really isn't any different than any other V8, the flanges and things are the only difference. An engine is an engine, so whether someone wants to make parts only depends on whether they want to make a production run of the same part. A one-off is the same no matter what though.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:55 PM
ATGATT

Depends if they actually want to make money or not. Plenty of race fab shops would make you a manifold in a second. It really isn't any different than any other V8, the flanges and things are the only difference. An engine is an engine, so whether someone wants to make parts only depends on whether they want to make a production run of the same part. A one-off is the same no matter what though.
Well, I guess I should say my pockets do have limits. When approached, people generally just say "no." I suppose they'd change their tune if I said "I'll give you $20,000," but I can't exactly do that....
Old 04-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Racetracks

Oh, btw, there is a guy in Estonia making a corvette-like manifold for these, but I really don't feel like dealing with megasquirt and that's what his setup requires. I'm able to get a perfect AFR map (when the digital component I bought for my mechanical injection works, right now I'm on the back-up full mechanical set up and it gets a decent curve but not perfect).
If it can use Megasquirt, it can use any other (read: better) aftermarket ECU on the market just as easily. There isn't anything magical about a manifold, and don't let that guy tell you any different. Obviously the manifold is only part of the money that has to be spent though, especially if you want a decent ECU (meaning something other than Megasquirt).

Last edited by Fabrik8; 04-29-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:57 PM
ATGATT

If it can use Megasquirt, it can use any other (read: better) aftermarket ECU on the market just as easily. There isn't anything magical about a manifold, and don't let that guy tell you any different.
Well, he's Estonian, so "megasquirt" may be the only english he knows for aftermarket ECU lol. That and I don't think much engineering when into the design, because he said the intake itself doesn't make any power, just that you can tune the mixture (which I can already do with my setup).

Also, I like that right now my car relies on pretty much 0 electronics, other than the ignition box which does little more than act as a trigger, and that aforementioned digital controller I have for my factory fuel injection, which only takes about 5 minutes to swap out for the mechanical setup when it goes down.

Last edited by marlinspike; 04-29-2010 at 11:00 PM.