Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Steering Wheel and Car Shake/Shudder

Old 11-18-2011, 12:58 PM
mmmmmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake
Default Re: Steering Wheel and Car Shake/Shudder

Originally Posted by ls/vtecstitch
did you check the wheel bearings?
Originally Posted by Daft Punk
This
Originally Posted by L_U_C_K
That
Originally Posted by Lord Humongous
x2....and all the bushings to include the steering rack
So my understanding to check the wheel bearings is for up and down play? There is no noise made when driving. Jack the car up, grab the wheel and see if it moves up and down.

I don't have a grinder, so my plan will be buy front wheel bearings from rock auto, take apart the hub and have a shop remove the old bearing for me. Then I will put all of it back together.

Last edited by Harold_Fastwake; 11-18-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt

by up and down play, they mean grab it at 6 and 12 and jiggle. there should be NO play.

and you have the right idea for the wheel bearings. i paid $40 to have a family owned gas station press the old one out and then the new one in.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:02 AM
mmmmmm

Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake

Originally Posted by ChokolAwt
by up and down play, they mean grab it at 6 and 12 and jiggle. there should be NO play.

and you have the right idea for the wheel bearings. i paid $40 to have a family owned gas station press the old one out and then the new one in.

Thanks, I ordered 2 front bearings from rock auto. Will have to wait till mid December before I can put them in. If they don't fix the shake then I will move on to my bushings (which will not be cheap).
Old 11-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

gameoverr96 has disabled reputation

i agree with getting your wheels/tires road force balanced.. also since u said when hard braking it stops the problem temporarily check your brake pads for uneven wear and your rotors for exessive runout that will cause an issue like this