Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

speedo stopped working, random pulsating of lights with engine idle ( '01 type R)

Old 02-15-2012, 08:20 PM
--------------

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff

car got worse when I was leaving the movie theatre, pulsating got worse and I pulled over in a parking lot, cut the car off checked the speed sensor/alt fuse under the dash.

it wasnt blown but there was some slight discoloration on the prongs. so I put it back in and tried to start the car, click click click nothing.

so I checked the fuse again, blown now. used another fuse from the cruise control slot(which type r's don't have?), anyway put it in, got a jump from my buddy and the car hasn't had a problem since, not pulsating, alt seems to be charging the battery properly. car starts with no problem.

don't know if I should mess with anything, I hate when shit breaks and I don't have the time to mess with it
Old 02-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: speedo stopped working, random pulsating of lights with engine idle ( '01 type R)

That sounds like a corrosion problem at a power or ground connection. Jumping a car can sometimes blow through the insulating oxide layer that is causing the problem, which temporarily masks the problem. But at least that's really good information about where to probably start doing some preventative maintenance.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

clontz_wi64 has disabled reputation
Default Re: speedo stopped working, random pulsating of lights with engine idle ( '01 type R)

pull negative cable and check amps between cable and battery ground and see if you have any battery draw.... then isolate the problem
Old 02-18-2012, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

TRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these partsTRQLESS is infamous around these parts

I have had this happen to me before, the tach and speedo needles jump all over the place, it ended up being the coil in the distributor. But i'm not too sure if this is your issue
Old 02-18-2012, 07:47 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by TRQLESS
I have had this happen to me before, the tach and speedo needles jump all over the place, it ended up being the coil in the distributor. But i'm not too sure if this is your issue
Because of the pulsating lights, I don't think it's the same problem.